Mario Cuomo, former New York governor, dies at age of 82

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 07:33 pm
His son, Chris Cuomo, confirmed the news to CNN, where he works as a news anchor on the show "New Day."

Cuomo, also the father of current New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, served three terms in office, 1983 to 1994. Cuomo retired from politics after being defeated by George Pataki in a bid for a fourth term.

It was not immediately clear how Cuomo, a favorite of the Democratic Party's liberal contingent, died. He turned down several invitations to run for president throughout his career.

At his second inauguration Thursday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo quoted his father, saying that despite recent racial tensions in New York City, “We are the family of New York.”

"We're missing one family member. My father is not with us today. We had hoped he was going to be able to come; he is at home and he is not well enough to come. We spent last night with him ... we stayed at my father's house to ring in the New Year with him," Andrew Cuomo said during his address.

DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 08:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Sheesh, I get better news here, then I do from TV. Was he sick? What happened, might just be too soon to know yet? Thanks.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 09:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
He was a good governor for New York and his speech at the National Democratic Convention in July of 1984 was one of the best ever! He told it like it is and took on Ronald Reagan in his shiny city on the hill.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/01/01/the-best-speech-mario-cuomo-ever-gave/
ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 10:31 am
@CalamityJane,
Yes to that, CJane.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2015 04:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
A very inspiring and principled man.

I once wrote a letter to him thanking him for his staunch support of abortion rights and his equally staunch opposition to the death penalty. I received a very nice personal reply from one of his assistants, assuring me that the Governor had read, and appreciated, my comments, but regretted he lacked the time to answer all of his mail. It reiterated his commitment to both of those positions.

I'm sorry he never ran for President and declined to accept a Supreme Court nomination, but he remained true to himself in pursuing his own goals.
0 Replies