Does memory of the dead keep them alive?

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 12:02 pm
I am the only one left in my family and friends, but I clearly remember those who are dead and gone, in my thoughts and dreams. Does my memory of them keep them alive?

dalehileman

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 12:14 pm
@Rickoshay75,
In a sense, Rick, that their memory if not their body partly constitutes their soul

….a way in which the apodictical existential pantheist views it all, the Universe being Her body and all the activity therein Her thought

Another way of putting it: There's Something, perhaps much, we don't yet understand; while we predict when it starts to become apparent, most will call It, Her, God but many will not; both equally valid depending on Her exact def, mostly a semantic issue

….with or without caps

….that is, based on the general observation that nothing is entirely anything, while….
Rickoshay75

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 12:41 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

In a sense, Rick, that their memory if not their body partly constitutes their soul

….a way in which the apodictical existential pantheist views it all, the Universe being Her body and all the activity therein her thought

When I die, the souls (memories) of my friends and relatives die too, almost as though their souls (lives) never existed. Of course tombstones could keep their names alive, but not the memories or who and what they were.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 12:48 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Quote:
When I die, the souls (memories) of my friends and relatives die too
Actually not, Rick; because "Nothing……anything….," their mem lives on in every motion of every particle whose exact nature depends upon contacts of the past

You can insist upon a requirement that the mem survive in one alive. But again, "Nothing….anything…." so that you might hesitate counting the mem of his dog or even a local squirrel that spied on him much of his life; and finally, a microbe leading to the atom…..
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 12:51 pm
@Rickoshay75,
And what happens when the tombstones wear away?

Memories of someone are just that. They are just thoughts in the brains of someone that is still alive. When you're dead your brain doesn't think anymore.

dalehileman

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 02:55 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
When you're dead your brain doesn't think anymore.
It dies slowly but according to the principle that Nothing is…..but everything…., there's no dividing line. One's mind simply lives on in another form until possibly the end of the Big Crunch
Rickoshay75

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 04:47 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
When you're dead your brain doesn't think anymore.
It dies slowly but according to the principle that Nothing is…..but everything…., there's no dividing line. One's mind simply lives on in another form until possibly the end of the Big Crunch

We will never know what happens after we die because those who experience it aren't talking or texting.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 05:08 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
. . . When you're dead your brain doesn't think anymore.
You've pretty much just quoted Psalm 146:4.
Rickoshay75

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 05:19 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Assuming that the brain thinks with no proof that it does.
neologist

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 06:27 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Rickoshay75 wrote:
. . . Assuming that the brain thinks with no proof that it does.
Whose brain????
When????
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 10:43 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

chai2 wrote:

As well as a biology 101 book.
0 Replies

psychictiff

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 01:04 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Speaking As a professional medium, YOU are an extension of them? So everything you do in word thought & deed, somewhat keeps them "alive".
0 Replies

magnocrat

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 02:21 am
@Rickoshay75,
Your unreachable goal is one most of have. Someone has to be the last in line. These days many seek consolation by reseaching the family tree it gives us a sort of immortality and a feeling of contiuity.
Rickoshay75

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 04:09 pm
@magnocrat,
magnocrat wrote:

Your unreachable goal is one most of have. Someone has to be the last in line. These days many seek consolation by reseaching the family tree it gives us a sort of immortality and a feeling of continuity.

The only thing I know is that I am the last one alive, and when I die all memories of who and what they were will die with me, It will be like we never existed in soul and in body.

magnocrat

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 03:11 am
@Rickoshay75,
Only the famous and the infamous will be remembered in the long run.
I will not be known to my great grand children and let a further two or three generations go and I may as well havd never lived.
Tell me why do you want to make a lasting stamp on the world?
0 Replies