No More Cupcakes!!!!

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 11:02 am
A local school has decided that beginning next school year, there will be no more cupcakes allowed in celebration of children's birthdays. The school is concerned about child obesity. I can understand being concerned about child obesity, but is it really the cupcakes that cause obesity? My child takes slims so she is far from being obese and I do not deny her occasional cupcakes. Wouldn't you think they would look at the school lunches first? I have personally viewed what is typically given for school lunches and they are full are fat and salt. I think denying an occasional treat is only going to cause children to want them more. Funny thing is I also heard one elementary teacher claim that they no longer allow the children to run during recess. How absurd is that? How are children to exercise?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,452 • Replies: 37
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 11:17 am
you're surprised by stupidity from our educational system?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 12:04 pm
I think you have to start somewhere. My guess is that the Cupcake Ban is part and parcel of a revamping of nutritional standards designed for No Sweets in the school day.

Have you talked to the Principal's Office?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 12:15 pm
The cupcake idea is laughable. At noon or early afternoon, visit the local MacDonalds and watch the kids chow down all the fries and burgers. If they can't have a cupcake in school, does anyone really think the kids will stop their daily visits to MacDonalds?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 12:18 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
you're surprised by stupidity from our educational system?

This is the school system that can't seem to curtail the oral sex that takes place on the school bus, while the kids are in transit to school. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 02:28 pm
When the pendulum swings it always swings to the extreme.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 04:06 pm
They should just fit the children with little helmets and pads then sit them in a corner for all of recess. Meanwhile, their cafeteria food should consist of 100% fiber.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:06 pm
Individual wrote:
They should just fit the children with little helmets and pads then sit them in a corner for all of recess. Meanwhile, their cafeteria food should consist of 100% fiber.

Good idea, except think of the expense of all that toliet paper!
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:08 pm
Childhood obesity is definately a problem in this country. I think it would be good to take vending machines out of schools, for starters.

And no running? That's not good!
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:08 pm
Miller-
To eat? I was thinking that we could just do away with lawn mowers and tree barkers...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:12 pm
Individual wrote:
Miller-
To eat? I was thinking that we could just do away with lawn mowers and tree barkers...

Toliet paper to eat? No way! Toliet paper to use. If the kids eat all that fiber, they'll need tons of toliet paper. Confused
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:19 pm
Miller wrote:
This is the school system that can't seem to curtail the oral sex that takes place on the school bus, while the kids are in transit to school. Rolling Eyes

At least when a kid has oral sex on the bus or in school there are injesting very few calories and lots of protein. Mr. Green

For God's sake...please bring the cupcakes back!!!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:42 pm
Be sure to put some frosting on those cup cakes.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:49 pm
The cupcake ban may have been a little overboard. But remember obesity has become and is a national health problem. In fact I read some where for the first time children of today will be less healthy than their parents. People are beginning to eat themselves into an early grave.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:53 pm
Miller wrote:
Be sure to put some frosting on those cup cakes.

VANILLA :wink:
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:57 pm
au1929 wrote:
The cupcake ban may have been a little overboard. But remember obesity has become and is a national health problem. In fact I read some where for the first time children of today will be less healthy than their parents. People are beginning to eat themselves into an early grave.

What next? When you file your tax return, you'll have to send to the Feds your fat index! If you have a high fat index, you'll have to pay a penalty on your tax return.

How much money per extra gram of body fat will have to be paid to the Gov?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 06:02 pm
What CAN the kids bring to celebrate their birthdays? A pencil for each classmate? What Fun!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 06:05 pm
Miller
I must have been mistaken I thought this was an intelligent discussion not a joke fest..
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 06:52 pm
reminds of the joke where a guy has a big steak with fries and all the trimmings ... when he orders a coffee, he insists on artificial sweetener because "i have to watch the calories" . growing up "a long time ago" and having always had a healthy appetite, i really can't remember that there were any really overweight kids in school. sure, we weren't all the same size, but when i see the size of some kids now, it really makes me shudder. of course, we did not have super-sized fries and two liter bottles of coke or monster slushies. we had physical exercise in school at least three to four times a week; this was simple stuff : races, ballgames, swimming , exercises in the gym during the winter ... also we had to walk at least 20 to 30 minutes to get to school and get back home. today most kids get driven around by schoolbus. when i see fotball or other ballgames in the schoolyard now, a few kids are playing - i guess that is the TEAM" - and the other kids are sitting in the stands and yell. i think, more regular exercise for all kids would be a step in the right direction. btw. i was mediocre at best when it came to sports - i was often the last one being picked for a team - but we all had to participate. hbg
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:26 pm
There were a couple of "really overweight" kids in school when I went. Only a couple, though, and we even had a snack machine! (It had fresh apples and oranges in it -- only.)

We had school buses (semi-rural area; most kids were at least a couple miles from school, on heavily traveled roads with no sidewalks) and active recess -- just once a day, not two or three times like my daughter had -- mostly, I think, it was lack of junk food. My snacks at home were vegetables (cold canned greenbeans were my favorite) and fruit. Kool-Aid was a treat -- water was a thirst-quencher and lemonade was a cooking lesson. We never had "pop" in the house except Fifty-Fifty (a Sprite-like stuff) when someone was sick, then the sick kid got the pop.

That's very unlike my home now... My daughter's not fat, but it's more because she's active than because her diet is good.
0 Replies