This May Be Satire, But It's Deadly Serious to Me!

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:31 am
Link to Article About Bush and Kerry

The Onion is known as a magazine of political satire. So why does this piece make absolute sense to me??????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,351 • Replies: 203
No top replies

Diane

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:41 am
Phoenix, because it's so mark-on. There are very few people I know, consevative or liberal, who are enthusiastic about their candidate. I don't like Kerry, but I'll vote him in rather than have anymore of the Bush administration. You will likely vote for Bush even though you have expressed concern about some of his policies.

To me, there are no good choices this time. Too often that is the case, especially in presidential elections.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:44 am
ROTFL (and crying).
Quote:

"My only consolation is that a vote against either candidate is a vote against Nader."

I do love the Onion.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:46 am
Diane- What scares the hell out of me, is that I really belive that we are at a crossroads, in terms of our own security. I think that what happens in the next couple of years, will severely affect the state of the country for decades.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:47 am
Years ago I saw a suggestion that "None of the Above" must be listed on the ballot for every race. And if "None of the Above" won the race, then there would have to be a new election in six weeks with new candidates.

I guess it made too much sense to work.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:47 am
Just the headline describes me to a tee.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:52 am
Jim- I think that that suggestion is priceless. Problem is, none of the parties could get their act together quickly enough to name another candidate in only 6 weeks!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:05 am
We don't hear much about Kerry in the Oz news these days. Is he really THAT bad?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:11 am
sadly enough I am very near the decision to just not vote. but if Kucinich or Nader is on the ballot he will get my vote (more in protest than anything else)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:21 am
Quote:
We don't hear much about Kerry in the Oz news these days. Is he really THAT bad?

msolga- Apparently, everytime Kerry speaks, he put his foot in his mouth, and contradicts what he has said previously. I have read where the Democratic strategists prefer not to have him too visible, so as to lessen negative fodder for the media.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:25 am
That's very sad, Phoenix. He must be something of a disaster for there to be so much apathy towards such an important election. Surely we're not in for MORE years of what we're living through now? Shocked It's enough to make a person want to leave the planet!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:28 am
msolga- The problem isn't apathy. There are many people, who are very vocal, who despise Bush, and will vote for Kerry just to get rid of Bush.
So, IMO, there are many people who feel that if Kerry just keeps his trap shut, he might have a chance to win by default!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:30 am
<sigh> Not very encouraging, is it?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:30 am
Phoenix wrote:
The Onion is known as a magazine of political satire. So why does this piece make absolute sense to me??????

Because the Onion's mission statement is absolutely dead on. This magazine really is "America's finest News source". I especially liked their 2001 headline: " 'Bush: Our long national nightmare of peace and prosperity is finally over,' which included the now famous mock quotation: "We must squander our nation's hard-won budget surplus on tax breaks for the wealthiest 15 percent. And, on the foreign front, we must find an enemy and defeat it." Oh, I forgot to mention the month this article appeared. It was the January 18th edition, not some September edition as you might have thought. That's what makes them so prophetic.

The article you quoted is merely a continuation of a long and proud Onion tradition.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:34 am
No, he's not putting his foot in his mouth every time he speaks.

Recent phrase he has been using a lot; "Let America be America again," from a poem by Langston Hughes.

Quote:
"There's a powerful yearning around the world for an America that listens and leads again, an America that is respected, not just feared and mistrusted," [Kerry] said. "Abroad as well as at home, it's time to let America be America again."

He's laying relatively low right now, which I don't know what I think of as a strategy -- apparently trying to let Bush implode (Abu Ghraib, etc.) without sullying his own hands. He is running a considerably less dirty/ negative campaign than Bush.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:35 am
Missed Thomas and msolga there -- yup, the Onion is still going strong. Plenty of material, to be sure.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:39 am
Kerry reinvents himself monthly, he's now in the, 'I'm not George Bush, but I play him when I'm on TV' mode.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:40 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
msolga- The problem isn't apathy. There are many people, who are very vocal, who despise Bush, and will vote for Kerry just to get rid of Bush.
So, IMO, there are many people who feel that if Kerry just keeps his trap shut, he might have a chance to win by default!

In addition to Kerry keeping his mouth shut, I suggest that someone put a tight zipper on Teresa Heinz Kerry's mouth. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:41 am
Brand X wrote:
Kerry reinvents himself monthly, he's now in the, 'I'm not George Bush, but I play him when I'm on TV' mode.

and then we have
Bush reinvents himself monthly, he's now in the, 'I'm not John Kerry, but I play him when I'm on TV' mode
they both make me barf.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:52 am
Quote:
they both make me barf.

dys- Agree. so where do we go from here?
0 Replies