Being Lesbian in Chile

Sam1951

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 06:19 pm
SCoates wrote:
Sam, that would cover the issue if children were not involved. There are plenty of people who find homosexuality disgusting, but don't care if it doesn't affect them. This same group DOES care if they percieve an innocent party to be affected.

It is the perception of danger, of whatever sort they conclude, that prevents them from feeling they can ethically ignore the percieved problem.

Are you trying to say that GLBT couples want children so they can abuse them? Shocked

If GLBT child abuse is so common why does it make headlines when heterosexual child abuse is usually found in the police section of the newspaper.

Sam
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 06:23 pm
I implied nothing of the sort. I didn't even take a side. Your last argument was merely irrelevant.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 06:34 pm
SCoates,

Perception of what danger? Please try to be specific, thank you.

Sam
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 06:45 pm
Uhg, Sam... just "uhg."

It's not debatable whether there are those who percieve danger. It is a fact that there are. Whether their perceptions are accurate is a different argument, and something I haven't addressed.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 07:25 pm
SCoates,

Ok.

Sam
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 07:38 pm
That was a pretty post. Pretty like a haiku.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 07:41 pm
Thanks,

I am doing some research on child abuse statistics, comparing GLBT with heterosexuals. As soon as I have some facts I'll post them.

Sam
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 07:49 pm
Sounds interesting.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 09:36 pm
I think this letter, taken from a website, mocking Dr. Laura Schlessinger's views on homosexuality is so right on target and clearly makes it's point....and is funny to boot!

Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific biblical laws and how to best follow them. In particular:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some flexibility here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev. 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14).
I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 10:47 pm
Doglover,

Thanks for the Biblical outlook on this thread. I think. Confused Dr. Laura must be right, she has a doctorate and a tv show, right?

Doesn't that book say "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's ass."? Sorry, there are a lot of men and women in trouble then. Women for wanting one different from what they have and men.... Well, we know about them.

If everyone followed those ancient Laws of Moses, who'd be around to stone the last person? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 02:35 am
ehBeth wrote:
Rick, your poll would have been easier if the question had been

Quote:
Should good people have the right to raise children?

My answer in either case is yes, of course.

I understand that ehBeth, but I do think that people in that case would not have understand what I wanted to achieve with this thread :wink: .
0 Replies

fairandbalanced

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 04:41 am
L.L.R.Hood writes,
Quote:
Sam1951, I do not believe it is genetic. There is no scientific proof of that. doglover, how can a gay couple conseive? Unnaturally, right?

Can you tell me where is your concrete scientific proof that heterosexuality is genetic? I would like to know. Homosexuality may not have concrete proof that it is genetic but there is also no proof that it is not genetic.

Lesbians can reproduce with males and gay men can reproduce with females. They are still the biological parents of their children. Taking away their rights for parenthood simply because they say they are homosexual is not right.

Homosexuals can also reproduce by means of artificial insemination. Artificial insemination may not be natural but it is legal to both heterosexual & homosexual couples. Do you think that a heterosexual man who cannot fertilize his wife's eggs should be forbidden from using artificial insemination simply because the procedure is not natural? Shouldn't you be judging these couples on their ability to care and provide for a child instead?
0 Replies

fairandbalanced

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 04:50 am
Wiyaka writes
Quote:
If everyone followed those ancient Laws of Moses, who'd be around to stone the last person? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Absolutely true and very funny as well. Smile
0 Replies

fairandbalanced

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 04:52 am
Dear Doglover,

That was a very funny letter. Laughing It's very useful as well for debating. Thanks
0 Replies

fairandbalanced

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:12 am
L.L.R.Hood writes,
Quote:
This thread got rediculous fast!

Can you elaborate on this statement? Just what do you think is ridiculous about this thread and why?
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 06:13 am
Well, the fact that people were arguing on how things were in the animal world is a start Very Happy

Do you have to have everything completely spelled out for you? Smile

I always think its rediculous when a thread starts with a simple question about people's personal opinions... and others start arguing over opinions. Loaded threads usually get rediculous fast.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 06:23 am
The animals started when someone - offhand, I think it was you - began to can gay people for making a "choice" and not wanting to live with the consequences.

People pointed out that gayness is generally not a choice.....

Oh man! I wanna be loathed and discriminated against by stupid people and have people use my apellation as a form of abuse and have a higher suicide rate and so on....I choose this!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 06:25 am
L.R.R.Hood wrote:
Isn't the choice of being gay also the choice of not ever having children?

Yepers, it was you...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 06:44 am
The animals generally come out when folk start bandying "unnatural" about...

What is unnatural about a turkey baster I have no idea - clearly made as an incendiary ---- I mean inseminating device.....

(satirical take on pathetic fallacy.....well, I made myself laugh anyhow....)
0 Replies

fairandbalanced

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:01 am
People usually need clarification from others who tend to make generalizations without explaining their opinions. Laughing

Like I said

L.L.R.Hood writes,
Quote:
Sam1951, I do not believe it is genetic. There is no scientific proof of that. doglover, how can a gay couple conseive? Unnaturally, right?

Can you tell me where is your concrete scientific proof that heterosexuality is genetic? I would like to know. Homosexuality may not have concrete proof that it is genetic but there is also no proof that it is not genetic.

Lesbians can reproduce with males and gay men can reproduce with females. They are still the biological parents of their children. Taking away their rights for parenthood simply because they say they are homosexual is not right.

Homosexuals can also reproduce by means of artificial insemination. Artificial insemination may not be natural but it is legal to both heterosexual & homosexual couples. Do you think that a heterosexual man who cannot fertilize his wife's eggs should be forbidden from using artificial insemination simply because the procedure is not natural? Shouldn't you be judging these couples on their ability to care and provide for a child instead?

Can you answer these questions or will you continue to ignore them? Laughing Laughing
0 Replies