Being Lesbian in Chile

fairandbalanced

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 02:51 pm
Dear Craven de Kere,

I see your point. You cited some pretty insipid arguments. I enjoyed what I read so far but you misunderstood some of my posts. I'll explain later. I just had to type this quickly because you said you were going to work.

By your manner of thinking, your logic and your use of language, I would have to say that you are a very intelligent man. I'm not sucking up. LOL Laughing

You made some better arguments but don't you think that our arguments are enough to counter L.L.R.Hood's arguments? If not, why?

You said that positing this anecdotal evidence as an argument is risible.

Quote:
I have known quite a few homosexuals, and every single one of them is extremely self-centered, and basically selfish.

I disagree. I think reminding L.L.R.Hood of this is humorous that's why I did it.

More to come later on. I enjoyed your reactions. Thanks

By the way, I've already stopped enlarging my posts thanks to BillW. I'm sorry if it annoyed some people here. That was not my intention.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 02:57 pm
Ok, how does this sound to all y'all...

There is no overwhelming scientific proof that homosexuality is genetic, neither is there any overwhelming scientific proof that homosexuality is not genetic.

We can do the same thing with the nature versus nurture argument about, "psychological" issues, ie no concrete proof either way.

Now is everybody happy?

I do agree with the whole filter concept. If one has a preconception of what something is, then when one encounters an example of this thing, one does not examine it as an individual, but sees it as fitting the preconception. (What a run-on sentence. Bad, Sam) When this happens you end up with blanket concepts like, all indians are drunks, all queers are sicko perverts, all Republicans are... One small problem, none of them are true. This problem is corrected by removing the word all and replacing it with the word some.

What can I say? Think what you will, believe what you will. All I ask is that no one uses their beliefs as an excuse to denigrate, abuse or make laws or legal decisions that are discriminatory.

Sam
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 03:00 pm
Riffing on genetics here: I think much sexual desire is mediated by hormone biochemistry, the cycles of which can be triggered by sights, smells, sounds, touches, tastes, memories, and doubtless many other inputs affecting brain receptors via neural pathways. It makes great sense to me that this whole system is derived at least partially by DNA and RNA affected protein synthesis.

It also makes sense that there is an effect, to some extent, from environmental sources. if only that protein receptors that fit certain stimuli affected increased survival in some instances. I am a little less confident that environment actually can cause a hormonal reaction (wait, bear with me) - I mean generate the physical possibility of one, from scratch, as it were - without protein receptors being in place already.

My own estimation is that sexuality is almost unimaginably diverse, as diverse as the numbers of human bodies with their incremental biochemical differences, and their diverse environments. Actually, I think this is rather beautiful in concept, or if not beautiful, elegant.

This doesn't speak much toward the topic situation, except to say that this view of mine doesn't leave a lot of room for the tunneled typecasting that I see occurring in the Lesbian in Chile episode.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 03:07 pm
Osso,

I do truly love the open minded. Smile The infinite diversity of human experience is there to be enjoyed or ignored as one sees fit. Shall we enjoy the banquet and sample as each prefers?

Sam
0 Replies

Anoxia

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 05:39 am
ossobuco wrote:
Riffing on genetics here: I think much sexual desire is mediated by hormone biochemistry, the cycles of which can be triggered by sights, smells, sounds, touches, tastes, memories, and doubtless many other inputs affecting brain receptors via neural pathways. It makes great sense to me that this whole system is derived at least partially by DNA and RNA affected protein synthesis.

It also makes sense that there is an effect, to some extent, from environmental sources. if only that protein receptors that fit certain stimuli affected increased survival in some instances. I am a little less confident that environment actually can cause a hormonal reaction (wait, bear with me) - I mean generate the physical possibility of one, from scratch, as it were - without protein receptors being in place already.

My own estimation is that sexuality is almost unimaginably diverse, as diverse as the numbers of human bodies with their incremental biochemical differences, and their diverse environments. Actually, I think this is rather beautiful in concept, or if not beautiful, elegant.

This doesn't speak much toward the topic situation, except to say that this view of mine doesn't leave a lot of room for the tunneled typecasting that I see occurring in the Lesbian in Chile episode.

I'll second that. I've studied biochemistry quite a bit in my university, and this is a very good way to describe it all. Smile

This thread is entertaining AND informative.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:21 am
Sam,
I thought we did that already! Shocked
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:23 am
Besides, the current administrations trent to "accepted" scientific proof creates a great deal of mistrust in any current governmental science.

Healthy forests, clean air and all :sad:
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:26 am
Wiyaka,

My sweet, while the post you are responding to is for Osso, please continue to delight in the feast, with me.

Sam
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:28 am
Er, gees Embarrassed don't let me get in the middle Shocked
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:38 am
BillW,

Wiyaka often quotes her grandfather as saying: "Liars can figure, but figures can't lie." Manipulation of data to prove an otherwise unprovable theory, is taught at the college level. A statistical course, presented at Saint Cloud State University, Minnesota, was called "How to Lie With Statistics". Due to this tendency to "cook" the figures to give desired results; I would much prefer to have raw data and draw my own conclusions.
Of course, because I do not have a piece of paper proving expertise in any field, my conclusions would suspect. As if a Degree is proof of honesty.

Sam
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:40 am
BillW,

We don't bite. Smile Very Happy Laughing :wink:

Sam
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 11:56 am
But, my point is that what this administration has been doing - bold face lies for one thing - well, fully accepted scientific results are not statistically skewed for the most part. What is now coming out of the neocon camp is becoming a problem.

Don't bite Surprised guess I'll have to find a different scrum Cool
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:03 pm
BillW,

Whoa! I agree with you. The administration is spewing garbage as facts. Some people buy it, some don't. If we don not take action, we may all end up boiling to death in our own filth and pollution.
I was also refereing to stats on GLBTs and heteros involved in "sex crimes". I can not find very much data on perps as opposed to victims.

Sam
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 01:20 pm
The only thing that comes to mind re: "sex crimes" - most crimes are committed by hetros - it is a crime of control, not passion or as a life style Smile
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 01:29 pm
BillW,

In one or more of the posts, danger to the children", was sited as a reason for removing them from a GLBT parent. I would like to find stats showing the per capita frequency of GLBT versus hetero child abuse, sexual or otherwise. I want these state partly to use on this thread and partly to satisfy my ravenous apatite for information.

Sam
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 01:32 pm
Yes, now we have recycled to the one who intrepretes the stats. I think we know what the outcome would be - but...........
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 01:46 pm
BillW,

That's why I would prefer raw data. I know that I am willing to bite the bullet and speak the truth no mater what it is. My ethics prevent me from using stats to lie. I am not so sure about government statisticians.

Sam
0 Replies

Broadslad

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 03:28 pm
Here in the UK there are loads of Bush jokes.....they are NOT at all complimentary so I reckon this is not the place to air any of them! Cheers from a rainy, windy England....Wimbledon ruined this afternoon and evening. England is a green and pleasant land...it's all the ****** rain we get! Cheers! :-)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 09:22 pm
Broadslad, look around a2k, you may reaccess that idea re it not being the place to air anti Bush commentary.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 11:22 am
Actually, we have a bush and a dick at the head of our nation, so I guess you could say we are in a hermaphrodite state Cool

No wonder all the denial at the top <sigh>
0 Replies