An Intellectuals appraisal of Reagans legacy

McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 01:26 pm
revel wrote:
fofrye

saying that you could never be a liberal because you don't have that much hate in you adn similar comments along that line is browbeating. You in effect called liberal hateful rather than having any legitmate comments.

Let's see...

"Liberals are hateful"

"Revel is hateful"

Is there a difference? I see one. One comments about a group of people. The other comments on a specific person. Now, I can see how it can be hurtful if one considered themselves as being a part of the group that is being commented on in the first comment, but the second comment is just an attack on an individual.

See, the message is "Liberals are hateful". Counter that by explaining how Liberals are NOT hateful. Site examples, give anecdotes, quote articles, find commentary. That's attacking the message.

Explaining how Foxfyre is a jerk by commenting on the fact that "Liberals are hateful" only reflects on the messenger and ignores the message. There is a distinct difference and that is what Foxfyre was trying to explain.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 01:32 pm
Somehow I had a feeling that Reagan's death would create a fire fight on A2K. Guess it didn't take any great powers of prognostication on my part to guess that...

I'll say this for him, when I see tapes of him making clever comments to journalists, I realize, yet again, how inarticulate our current president is.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 01:37 pm
Ronald Reagan: The Quips Kept on Coming

Giles Elgood wrote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - During his life, President Ronald Reagan (news - web sites) developed a reputation as a man with a sharp wit who loved a good joke. Here are some examples of his humor:

"A lot of people wondered, 'How dare an actor have the audacity to run for this job,"' Reagan told the Chicago Sun-Times in 1990. "There were times when I wondered how you could do this job without having been an actor."

James Baker, Reagan's one-time chief of staff, recalled on Fox News Sunday that Reagan once had to sit through a photo opportunity at which Archbishop Desmond Tutu "thoroughly trashed" the president's South African policy.

The next day, the media scented blood and eagerly asked him about his talks with the anti-apartheid campaigner. "What about your meeting with Tutu?" they said. And Reagan replied: "Tutu? So-So."

Reagan had a keen and wry awareness of how others saw him. Once he told a visitor to the Oval Office in the White House: "Some day, people will say Ronald Reagan slept here."

And on another occasion: "I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting."

Being shot would test most people's sense of humor, but Reagan was able to keep his. "Honey, I forgot to duck," he told his wife Nancy. "When I saw all those doctors around me, I said, 'I hope they're all Republicans."'

Reagan did not have a very flattering view of government and its works.

"A government agency is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth." he once remarked.

And the difference between a small businessman and a big businessman was probably that a small businessman would be a big businessman if only the government would leave him alone.

Reagan did not spare the Democrats either. "The difference between them (Democrats) and us (Republicans) is that we want to check government spending and they want to spend government checks."

Occasionally, things went a little awry, as during this sound check in 1984, at the height of the Cold War. "My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes."

Communism did not impress the famously conservative president. "How do you tell a Communist?" he asked in 1987. "Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."

He also told a story about how an old Russian woman had asked Mikhail Gorbachev whether communism had been invented by a scientist or a politician. Gorbachev said he thought it was a politician. "That explains it," said the woman. "A scientist would have tried it on mice first."

Nor did the press escape some gentle teasing. "Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement," Reagan said.

And, like any good comedian, he knew the virtue of good timing. "As Henry VIII said to each one of his six wives: I won't keep you long."
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 01:40 pm
Revel, if you can pull up, lets say three quotes, over the last several months on A2K where admitted liberals have said anything positive about GWB or the current administration or current policies; where liberals have reflected anything positive or hopeful or encouraging about anything other than the fact that George W. Bush is slipping in the polls or might be defeated in November; that suggest GWB or Republicans are decent human beings; that Christians or conservatives are decent human beings etc. etc. . .you get my drift. . .

. . .I will profoundly apologize and withdraw my statement that I am not angry enough, mean enough, hateful enough, or pessimistic enough to be a today's liberal.

(Oh and it doesn't count to 'pad the posts' with something positive now. Smile )
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 02:20 pm
One of my favorite Reagan quotes was right after he had been shot and was being rolled into the operating room. He looked at the assembly of doctors and quipped, "I hope you are all Republicans."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 04:31 pm
Anybody so hate filled they have to call a liberal hate filled over and over has a problem, is all I can say. How about getting back to the topic?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 04:49 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
One of my favorite Reagan quotes was right after he had been shot and was being rolled into the operating room. He looked at the assembly of doctors and quipped, "I hope you are all Republicans."

interesting in that he was shot by a republican.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 04:52 pm
There is a variation to the story of Reagan going to the hospital after being shot. In this version, while his pr people spin a bunch of jokes Reagan supposedly said, Reagan was terrified and had nothing heroic to say.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 04:56 pm
Quote:
Facts are stupid things.

Ronald Reagan
gosh I hope we don't get into a Reagan quote thing here, it would run forever.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 04:58 pm
The Real Reagan Legacy
Debunking Myths About Reagan
by Mike Hersh

March 19, 2002 (Political Sanity/APJP) -- Let's begin our examination of the real Reagan Legacy by taking a look at myth number one: Democrats dominated Congress all through Reagan's terms, and called all his budgets Dead On Arrival.

That's numerically and historically false. Reagan's people shoved his program through the Congress during the early Reagan years. James A. Baker, David Stockman and other Reaganites ran roughshod over Tip O'Neill and the divided Democrats in the House and Senate, and won every critical vote. This is because of the GOP majority in the Senate and the GOP-"Boll Weevil" (or "Dixiecrat") coalition in the House. Phil Gramm was a House Democrat at the time, and he even sponsored the most important Reagan budgets.

Only after the huge Reagan recession -- made worse by utterly failed Reagan "Voodoo Economics" - did Democrats regain some control in Congress. They halted some Reagan initiatives, but couldn't do much on their own. That was a time of gridlock.

Six years into Reagan's presidency, Democrats retook the Senate, and began to reverse some of Reagan's horrendous policies. By that time, Reaganomics had "accomplished" quite a bit: doubled the national debt, caused the S&L crisis, and nearly wrecked the financial system.

Which brings us to myth number two: Jimmy Carter wrecked the economy, and Reagan's bold tax cuts saved it.

This is utterly absurd. Economic growth indices -- GDP, jobs, revenues -- were all positive when Carter left office. All plunged after Reagan policies took effect.

Reagan didn't cure inflation, the main economic problem during the Carter years. Carter's Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker tried when he raised interest rates. That's the opposite of what Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan has done to keep inflation low.

Carter's policies and people fought inflation, but maintained real growth. On the other hand, Reagan's policies helped cause the worst recession since the Great Depression: two bleak years with nearly double-digit unemployment! Reaganomics failed in less than a year, and it took an entire second year for the economy to recover from the failure.

Carter didn't cause the inflation problem, but his tough policies and smart personnel solved it. Unfortunately for Carter, it took too long for the good results to kick in. Not only didn't Reagan help whip inflation, he actually opposed the Volcker policies!

Another major myth: Reagan cut taxes on all Americans, and that led to a great expansion.

Here's the truth: the total federal tax burden increased during the Reagan years, and most Americans paid more in taxes after Reagan than before. The "Reagan Recovery" was unremarkable. It looks great only contrasted against the dismal Reagan Recession -- but it had nothing to do with Supply Side voodoo.

With a red ink explosion -- $300 BILLION deficits looming as far as the eye could see -- GOP Senators, notably including Bob Dole, led the way on tax hikes. The economy enjoyed its recovery only after total tax increases larger than the total tax cuts were implemented. Most importantly, average annual GDP growth during the Reagan 80s was lower than during the Clinton 90s or the JFK-LBJ 60s!

Enough about the economy. Here's the biggest myth of them all: Ronald Reagan won the "Cold War".

In reality, Reagan did nothing to bring down the Soviet Union.

By 1980, the Soviet Union was trying to cut its own defense spending. Reagan made it harder for them to do so. In fact, Reagan increased the possibility of a nuclear war because he was -- frankly, and sadly -- senile. He thought we could actually recall submarine-launched nuclear missiles (talk about a Reagan myth), and bullied the Soviets to highest alert several times.

Critically, Reagan never even tried to bring down the Soviet Union.

Wasteful overspending on defense didn't end the Soviet Union. In fact, it played into the hands of authoritarian "Communist" hard-liners in the Kremlin. Reagan thought the Soviet Union was more powerful than we were. He was trying to close what he called "the window of vulnerability."

This was sheer idiocy.

No general in our military would trade our armed forces for theirs. If it were to happen, none of the Soviet military command would turn down that deal. We had better systems, better troops, and better morale.

Here's the truth: we'd already won the Cold War before Reagan took office. All Reagan needed to do was continue the tried-and-true containment policies Harry S. Truman began and all subsequent presidents employed. The Soviet Union was Collapsing from within. The CIA actually told this to Reagan as he took office.

Here's an example: the Soviet Union military couldn't deal with a weak state on its own border, the poor, undermanned Afghanistan. Most of the Soviets' military might had to make sure its "allies" in the Warsaw Pact and subjects along the South Asian front didn't revolt. Even Richard Nixon told Reagan he could balance the budget with big defense cuts.

Reagan ignored this, and wrecked our budget.

We didn't have to increase weapons spending, but Reagan didn't care. He ran away from summits with the dying old-guard Soviets, and the new-style "glasnost" leadership of Mikhail Gorbachev baffled the witless Reagan and his closed-minded extremist advisors.

Maggie Thatcher finally cajoled the Gipper into meeting Gorby, and Gorby cleaned Reagan's clock. Reagan's hard-right "handlers" nearly had to drag Reagan out of the room before he signed away our entire nuclear deterrent. Reagan -- and the planet -- was lucky Gorbachev sought genuine and stable peace. Had Yuri Andropov's health held, Reagan's "jokes" and gaffes might have caused World War III.

Eventually Reagan even gave Gorbachev his seal of approval. Visiting Moscow before the August Coup, Reagan said the Soviet Union was no longer the "Evil Empire." He predicted his friend Gorbachev would lead the Soviet Union for many years to come.

As usual, Reagan was wrong. A few months later, disgruntled military officers kidnapped Gorbachev, throwing him out of power forever. Reagan remained disengaged: nothing he did caused the coup, and nothing he did made the Soviet military support Boris Yeltsin over their superiors.

We're all fortunate things happened as they did -- but once again, Reagan did nothing to make this fluke more likely.

All this is vintage Reagan. Reagan took credit for others' hard word and hard choices, and blamed them for his failures. Reagan even blamed Jimmy Carter for Reagan's foolish, fatal, and reckless decision to leave 243 Marines stationed in Beirut, helpless and unguarded.

Reagan hired over 100 crooks to run our government, and broke several laws himself. His policies were almost uniformly self-defeating, wrong-headed, immoral and unfair.

Reagan was an actor playing the part of the president. He was style over substance; lucky, not good.

And once the myths are stripped from the "legacy", the truth becomes obvious: Reagan was by far the most overrated man in American history.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, American Politics Journal Publications, Inc.
All rights reserved. Read our privacy policy. Contact us.

http://www.americanpolitics.com/20020319Hersh.html
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:27 pm
well edgar, like reagan said "facts are stupid things"
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:31 pm
Here is the thoughtful, well-balanced, and carefully reasoned source of Edgar's post.

http://www.mikehersh.com

Hersh is one of those who really backs up every rotten thing I've insinuated about (many) liberals. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:35 pm
We're hate filled for telling the truth? That's the end of my responding to foxfire if all she can do is call names. Good-bye, lady.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:42 pm
Sorry you take personally my belief that different facts apply and my defending those I feel are attacked unfairly, Edgar. In my opinion, Mike Hersh has spouted hate-filled garbage and erroneous facts for a long time and I refuse to take his commentary seriously. But it's just as well we call it off too as I prefer to debate issues without making the messenger the issue.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:53 pm
Quote:
I prefer to debate issues without making the messenger the issue.

irony?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:55 pm
Just read through this whole thread Dys and then tell me who attacked who personally.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:56 pm
and going beyond just this thread?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:59 pm
Reagan's Passing

I did not say anything yesterday about Ronald Reagan's death. The day a person dies he has a right to be left alone.

But yesterday is now history, and Reagan's legacy should not pass without comment.

Reagan had an ability to project a kindly image, and was well liked personally by virtually everyone who knew him, apparently. But it always struck me that he was a mean man. I remember learning, in the late 1960s, of the impact Michael Harrington's The Other America had had on Johnson's War on Poverty. Harrington demonstrated that in the early 1960s there was still hunger in places like Appalachia, deriving from poverty. It was hard for middle class Americans to believe, and Lyndon Johnson, who represented many poor people himself, was galvanized to take action.

I remember seeing a tape of Reagan speaking in California from that era. He said that he had heard that some asserted there was hunger in America. He said it sarcastically. He said, "Sure there is; they're dieting!" or words to that effect. This handsome Hollywood millionnaire making fun of people so poor they sometimes went to bed hungry seemed to me monstrous. I remember his wealthy audience of suburbanites going wild with laughter and applause. I am still not entirely sure what was going on there. Did they think Harrington's and similar studies were lies? Did they blame the poor for being poor, and resent demands on them in the form of a few tax dollars, to address their hunger?

Then when he was president, at one point Reagan tried to cut federal funding for school lunches for the poor. He tried to have ketchup reclassified as a vegetable to save money. Senator Heinz gave a speech against this move. He said that ketchup is a condiment, not a vegetable, and that he should know.

The meanness was reflected, as many readers have noted, in Reagan's "blame the victim" approach to the AIDS crisis. His inability to come to terms with the horrible human tragedy here, or with the emerging science on it, made his health policies ineffective and even destructive.

Reagan's mania to abolish social security was of a piece with this kind of sentiment. In the early 20th century, the old were the poorest sector of the American population. The horrors of old age--increasing sickness, loss of faculties, marginalization and ultimately death--were in that era accompanied by fear of severe poverty. Social security turned that around. The elderly are no longer generally poverty-stricken. The government can do something significant to improve people's lives. Reagan, philosophically speaking, hated the idea of state-directed redistribution of societal wealth. (His practical policies often resulted in such redistribution de facto, usually that of tossing money to the already wealthy). So he wanted to abolish social security and throw us all back into poverty in old age.

Reagan hated any social arrangement that empowered the poor and the weak. He was a hired gun for big corporations in the late 1950s, when he went around arguing against unionization. Among his achievements in office was to break the air traffic controllers' union. It was not important in and of itself, but it was a symbol of his determination that the powerless would not be allowed to organize to get a better deal. He ruined a lot of lives. I doubt he made us safer in the air.

Reagan hated environmentalism. His administration was not so mendacious as to deny the problems of increased ultraviolet radition (from a depleted ozone layer) and global warming. His government suggested people wear sunglasses and hats in response. At one point Reagan suggested that trees cause pollution. He was not completely wrong (natural processes can cause pollution), but his purpose in making the statement seems to have been that we should therefore just accept lung cancer from bad city air, which was caused by automobiles and industry, not by trees.

In foreign policy, Reagan abandoned containment of the Soviet Union as a goal and adopted a policy of active roll-back. Since the Soviet Union was already on its last legs and was not a system that could have survived long, Reagan's global aggressiveness was simply unnecessary. The argument that Reagan's increases in military funding bankrupted the Soviets by forcing them to try to keep up is simply wrong. Soviet defense spending was flat in the 1980s.

Reagan's aggression led him to shape our world in most unfortunate ways. Although it would be an exaggeration to say that Ronald Reagan created al-Qaeda, it would not be a vast exaggeration. The Carter administration began the policy of supporting the radical Muslim holy warriors in Afghanistan who were waging an insurgency against the Soviets after their invasion of that country. But Carter only threw a few tens of millions of dollars at them. By the mid-1980s, Reagan was giving the holy warriors half a billion dollars a year. His officials strong-armed the Saudis into matching the US contribution, so that Saudi Intelligence chief Faisal al-Turki turned to Usamah Bin Laden to funnel the money to the Afghans. This sort of thing was certainly done in coordination with the Reagan administration. Even the Pakistanis thought that Reagan was a wild man, and balked at giving the holy warriors ever more powerful weapons. Reagan sent Orrin Hatch to Beijing to try to talk the Chinese into pressuring the Pakistanis to allow the holy warriors to receive stingers and other sophisticated ordnance. The Pakistanis ultimately relented, even though they knew there was a severe danger that the holy warriors would eventually morph into a security threat in their own right.

Reagan's officials so hated the Sandinista populists in Nicaragua that they shredded the constitution. Congress cut off money for the rightwing death squads fighting the Sandinistas. Reagan's people therefore needed funds to continue to run the rightwing insurgency. They came up with a complicated plan of stealing Pentagon equipment, shipping it to Khomeini in Iran, illegally taking payment from Iran for the weaponry, and then giving the money to the rightwing guerrillas in Central America. At the same time, they pressured Khomeini to get US hostages in Lebanon, taken by radical Shiites there, released. It was a criminal cartel inside the US government, and Reagan allowed it, either through collusion or inattention. It is not a shining legacy, to have helped Khomeini and then used the money he gave them to support highly unsavory forces in Central America. (Some of those forces were involved after all in killing leftwing nuns).

Although Reagan's people were willing to shore up Iranian defenses during the Iran-Iraq War, so as to prevent a total Iraqi victory, they also wanted to stop Iran from taking over Iraq. They therefore winked at Saddam's use of chemical weapons. Reagan's secretary of state, George Schultz, sent Donald Rumsfeld to Baghdad twice, the second time with an explicit secret message that the US did not really mind if Saddam gassed the Iranian troops, whatever it said publicly.

I only saw Reagan once in person. I was invited to a State Department conference on religious freedom, I think in 1986. It was presided over by Elliot Abrams, whom I met then for the first time. We were taken to hear Reagan speak on religious freedom. It was a cause I could support, but I came away strangely dissatisfied. I had a sense that "religious freedom" was being used as a stick to beat those regimes the Reagan administration did not like. It wasn't as though the plight of the Moro Muslims in the Philippines was foremost on the agenda (come to think of it, perhaps no Muslims or Muslim groups were involved in the conference).

Reagan's policies thus bequeathed to us the major problems we now have in the world, including a militant Islamist International whose skills were honed in Afghanistan with Reagan's blessing and monetary support; and a proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, which the Reagan administration in some cases actually encouraged behind the scenes for short-term policy reasons. His aggressive foreign policy orientation has been revived and expanded, making the US into a neocolonial power in the Middle East. Reagan's gutting of the unions and attempt to remove social supports for the poor and the middle class has contributed to the creation of an America where most people barely get by while government programs that could help create wealth are destroyed.

Reagan's later life was debilitated by Alzheimer's. I suppose he may already have had some symptoms while president, which might explain some of his memory lapses and odd statements, and occasional public lapses into woolly-mindedness. Ironically, Alzheimer's could be cured potentially by stem cell research. In the United States, where superstition reigns over reason, the religious Right that Reagan cultivated has put severe limits on such research. His best legacy may be Nancy Reagan's argument that those limitations should be removed in his memory. There are 4 million Alzheimers sufferers in the US, and 50% of persons living beyond the age of 85 develop it. There are going to be a lot of such persons among the Baby Boomers. By reversing Reaganism, we may be able to avoid his fate.

posted by Juan @ 6/6/2004 12:57:54 PM
http://www.juancole.com/
Sistani
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 06:01 pm
Dys, are you that interested in taking me down? You can find ammunition if you look hard enough I'm sure.

Oh, and I'll offer you the same challenge I offered Revel. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 06:02 pm
Do you want to stay on topic or not?
0 Replies