An Intellectuals appraisal of Reagans legacy

doglover

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 11:47 am
C'mon guys. Don't you guys have local news in the cities in which you live? Here in Baltimore, we have three local channels that offer national as well as local news. The past few days they have limited their coverage of Reagan to about 5 or 6 minutes in a one hour newscast. How about newspapers? Can't you get your news from there?

kicky....hang on another day or two. He's getting buried tomorrow evening. Things should be back to pretty much normal Saturday or Sunday. :wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 11:49 am
You're right. The media loves this stuff. Remember the coverage of OJ? Shocked
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 11:50 am
Local news coverage is perhaps the worst thing on TV, anywhere.

They reduce EVERY major event to a 2-3 minute spot. It does more harm than good to inform people halfway like that. The quality of reporting is typically dismal. So no, I can't watch local news.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 12:51 pm
doglover wrote:
nimh wrote:
Who's denying you the opportunity to express your loss, doglover? <curious>

The people who don't like Reagan would like to limit the amount of coverage his life and funeral are getting on TV.

Right ... see, thats the point I didnt get. Don't get. The equation between, "they want the TV to stop broadcasting all that RR-related coverage" and, "they deny me the right to express my loss".

I mean, err - the only way for you to express your grief is by having the TV cover it for you? Goodness gracious, what is this world coming to! I'm kinda jokin' with you here - <grins> - but I'm kinda serious too - forget about us switching the channel - what about writing a nice letter, or going to the funeral, or posting a beautiful in memoriam on a website, or laying flowers by something that reminds you of Reagan (with a sign explaining what its for if necessary), or, or, or ... ! Very Happy

No liberals are "denying" you the opportunity to express your loss, doglover. You are absolutely free to do so in any way you want, and noone will stop you. But in the meantime, to have something else but RR in the news would be nice for those in the US who feel strongly about other subjects ... and it would be healthy if the coverage that is there would be more about individual citizens expressing their loss than about some self-congratulatory political show by the (Republican) political class. I think those were more or less the points that were made.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 01:18 pm
And, while we mourn:

Quote:
Kerry leads Bush by 7 points in new poll

Democrat ahead 51 to 44 percent

Poll respondents gave Kerry better marks for ideas for strengthening the economy, building respect for the U.S. around the world, and handling the problems of cost and access to health care.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 01:19 pm
Hate to interrupt the worship to report that little factoid.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 01:43 pm
Billw,

that is strange news about Kerry given the 24 hour reagan but entirely welcome. Maybe life is worth living after all.

I have resorted to watching international news and bbc to find out what is happening in the world. Unfortunetly they feel that they have to join the bandwagan of reagan so this morning I just simply turned it all off.

I did however find an interesting news site on the internet with news other than reagan. So if we are attacked again I guess I will know about it sooner or later.

But hey the reagan mania has its upside, my husband gets to stay home tomorrow from work. Unfortunetly if he is home all day chances are I will hear about reagan since he is a republican.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 01:47 pm
maybe there is something to the Reagan madnes sweeping the world? Maybe he wasn't as vile as you guys wish he were and just maybe he garnered the respect and admiration of millions...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 01:47 pm
Well I'm going to turn off this thread and leave it to you guys to dismiss or bash and make fun of and mock Reagan and/or Bush to your hearts content. I've said before, that kind of thing is one reason I could never be a liberal.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:09 pm
Quote:
I've said before, that kind of thing is one reason I could never be a liber
al.

There is a old country song that reminds me of you.

"Oh, Lord, it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way."

Quote:
maybe there is something to the Reagan madnes sweeping the world? Maybe he wasn't as vile as you guys wish he were and just maybe he garnered the respect and admiration of millions...

People once stood in line and screamed their heads off for Micheal Jackson too. Come to think of it, there was a big crowd even when he had fallen from grace and stood up on the top of his car. People came from all over the world to support him. So I guess going by your logic there must be something to it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:12 pm
Revel, that doesn't even begin to make sense.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:21 pm
McGentrix

I will try again. I don't make a claim to be brightest around here.

You said that (in my words because it is easier for me) because people are gathering in such huge numbes and having so much news coveage about the passing of Reagan that it must mean that Reagan wasn't as vile as we liberals like to make out. (I never said he was vile)

I was merely attempting to make the point that the public goes through these things and sometimes the person it is over is not deserving of all the attention that they get.

better?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:26 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Well I'm going to turn off this thread and leave it to you guys to dismiss or bash and make fun of and mock Reagan and/or Bush to your hearts content. I've said before, that kind of thing is one reason I could never be a liberal.

LOL! Because its true that only liberals would dismiss or bash and make fun of and mock Reagan and/or Bush.

Conservatives prefer to dismiss or bash and make fun of and mock Bill and Hillary and John Kerry. <grins>

(But that wouldnt ever be a reason for Foxfyre to "never be a conservative". Cause this is how it goes: if Pistoff is a liberal, you can never be a liberal, cause it proves that that's "how they are". But if McGentrix is a conservative (you a conservative, McG?), then you can still easily be a conservative, cause that's ... different. ;-))
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:29 pm
Revel, you made perfectly good sense. My wife was Republican, then she met me and she now realizes the mistakes of her youth. She no longer hates .........
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:32 pm
By using an entertainer as an example?

Micheal Jackson still garners huge gatherings. Last time I was in Toronto, there was a candlelight vigil with 2 impersonators outside the Hard Rock Cafe'. From an entertainment aspect, few will ever top the King of Pop.

My point was that the liberals on A2K have been extremely heavy handed in their criticism of what history will demonstrate as one of the greatest presidents of the United States of America. I couldn't make it to California or Washington D.C. to share in the observance of Reagan. I enjoyed watching it on the TV yesterday, as it made me feel included with everyone else watching it. It was like a big group hug. I have enjoyed the remeberance of Reagan's legacy, the good, and the bad, but I don't think it has been overdone by the media.

I think the complaints from the left are nothing more than political posturing at this point and will set the precedent for the next time. I hope there are no liberals that complain when the conservatives make similar complaints later... It's the left that has set the tone...
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:37 pm
Christ, and the bullshit keeps flowing - spew, spew; whine whine whine - if the stage hadn't already been set by the arrogant right, blather on......
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:37 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I think the complaints from the left are nothing more than political posturing at this point and will set the precedent for the next time. I hope there are no liberals that complain when the conservatives make similar complaints later... It's the left that has set the tone...

Wrong again.

See Wellstone, Paul, for an example of how conservatives can vilify a memorial service without precedent.

We will never see the kind of courtesy shown to Reagan by Democrats when Clinton or Kennedy or anyone else you despise passes.

Guaronteed.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:42 pm
BillW wrote:
Christ, and the bullshit keeps flowing - spew, spew; whine whine whine - if the stage hadn't already been set by the arrogant right, blather on......

Setting further precedence? Is this what we want it to come down to?

When was the last time you added anything constructive, Bill?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:58 pm
McG, you would have a better point if you wouldn't make it when two a almost simultaneous post with the same message is made, hmmmmm!
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 03:02 pm
McG,
Rather than whine about the posters, why not give your thoughts as to why the things that have been said are so wrong.
For instance my minor contribution to this fracus was a quote from Reagan.

Quote:

And I commented, "That sort of thought process does not a great leader make IMHO." My reasoning behind that comment is that if he was concerned that AIDS had been sent by God, that would make it difficult for him to push for a cure and go against his God's wishes.
0 Replies