US/Cuba Look to Normalize Relations

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 08:14 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quite a legacy for Barak. Or should that be Cubarak?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 08:57 am
@Lordyaswas,
When Universal Health Care in America becomes as popular as the NHS the Republicans are really going to regret calling it Obamacare.

Kudos for Cuba and all that.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 12:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Jeb put himself clearly against normalizing ties.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/12/17/jeb-bush-says-obamas-shift-on-cuba-undermines-us-credibility/21117856/
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 12:10 pm
@engineer,
For "undermines credibility", read "makes more human" to the rest of the world.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 12:15 pm
@engineer,
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/dec/02/usa.books
Quote:
The Bush dynasty and the Cuban criminals
New book reveals links of two presidents and the governor of Florida with exiled hardliners

Quote:

The Bush family connections go back to 1984 when Jeb Bush began a close association with Camilo Padreda, a former intelligence officer with the Batista dictatorship overthrown by Fidel Castro.

Jeb Bush was then the chairman of the Dade county Republican party and Padreda its finance chairman. Padreda had earlier been indicted on a $500,000 (£320,000) embezzlement charge along with a fellow exile, Hernandez Cartaya, but the charges were dropped, reportedly after the CIA stated that Cartaya had worked for them.

Padreda later pleaded guilty to defrauding the housing and urban development department of millions of dollars during the 1980s.

The president's younger brother was also on the payroll in the 80s of the prominent Cuban exile Miguel Recarey, who had earlier assisted the CIA in attempts to assassinate President Castro.

Recarey, who ran International Medical Centres (IMC), employed Jeb Bush as a real estate consultant and paid him a $75,000 fee for finding the company a new location, although the move never took place, which raised questions at the time. Jeb Bush did, however, lobby the Reagan/Bush administration vigorously and successfully on behalf of Recarey and IMC. "I want to be very wealthy," Jeb Bush told the Miami News when questioned during that period.

In 1985, Jeb Bush acted as a conduit on behalf of supporters of the Nicaraguan contras with his father, then the vice-president, and helped arrange for IMC to provide free medical treatment for the contras.

Jeb's got a wee bit of baggage that people might have forgotten about. This news about Cuba is timely ... in light of his political plans.

https://consortiumnews.com/2006/042606.html
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 02:11 pm
This should have happened years ago. Kudos to Obama for moving toward normalizing relations with Cuba.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 05:45 pm
@engineer,

I'm glad he and Rubio oppose the move by the president. It highlights the fact that they are very much out of touch with the American public.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 05:45 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

For "undermines credibility", read "makes more human" to the rest of the world.

Amen!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 05:46 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

This should have happened years ago. Kudos to Obama for moving toward normalizing relations with Cuba.

Amen once again.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 06:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
Its not just the repubs I am talking about.
There is at least one dem senator that is also opposed.
I don't remember his name, but like Rubio, he is also Cuban-American.
farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 07:58 pm
@mysteryman,
What has the entire isolation of Cuba gotten us or the Cubans. Cuba had become a parasite nation and we became a power that exercised muscles over sound diplomacy.
I think we should have all this behind us and look at mutually beneficial engagement.
If it weren't so serious, the US policy of the last 50 years would best be described as something out of Little Abner.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 07:59 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
What has the entire isolation of Cuba gotten us or the Cubans
It got several million Cubans US citizenship for one thing.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 08:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
That brings up a good question. What are Tea Party conservatives, like Ted Cruz, going to do with the automatic amnesty given to Cuban immigrants after we normal relations with Cuba.

It is strange for them to be so strongly against amnesty for people from any other country in the world.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 08:17 pm
@maxdancona,
Since the Russians have been diddling around in Cuba, I rather have a US embassy in Cuba and normalized relations than the Russians building a strong hold 90 miles from our country. Marco Rubio is a horses ass.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 09:48 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Robert Menendez (D-NJ).
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 01:03 am
@farmerman,

Quote:
I think we should have all this behind us and look at mutually beneficial engagement.

It only benefits Cuba. Castro will get 10% of every dollar that pours into that country. Russia is no position to help them, and we do? Give them more power.

Dumb, stupid, dumb.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 01:04 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
It got several million Cubans US citizenship for one thing.

Yep, and they will all vote Republican.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 01:08 am
See A2K's little ray of sunshine has arrived then?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 05:59 am
When I was pretty young, I recall my brother telling me Fidel was offering on the order of $100 to 150 to Americans to come help in his fight for Cuba. It's hearsay, because I never read it anywhere. But I knew about the corrupt business relations we had there and about Bautista's brutality and I supported the revolution. I still support the expulsion of America's businesses and deposing the old regime. Now, I support being friendly with the government and hoping it will evolve into a servant of the people.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 07:55 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Its not just the repubs I am talking about.
There is at least one dem senator that is also opposed.

Hint...he is from New Jersey!