US/Cuba Look to Normalize Relations

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 10:13 am
Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — The United States and Cuba will start talks on normalizing full diplomatic relations, marking the most significant shift in U.S. policy toward the communist island in decades, American officials said Wednesday. The announcement comes amid a series of new confidence-building measures between the longtime foes, including the release of American Alan Gross and the freeing of three Cubans jailed in the U.S.

I've always thought that it stupid foreign policy to not talk to people you don't agree with so I'm all for normalizing relations with Cuba. I'm amazed I haven't heard about this before. I wonder if this was done behind the scenes so that opposition couldn't kill it in the bud.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 28 • Views: 8,078 • Replies: 162

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 10:18 am
@engineer,
Excellent news!

Cuba is an amazing place, but desperately in need of an influx of tourist dollars to renew its old buildings and infrastructure.

Americans would thoroughly enjoy their holidays there, and no doubt flock there in their droves once the embargo was lifted.

A marriage made in heaven. The cold war in the west looks like it is finally coming to an end.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 10:19 am
@Lordyaswas,
poopy news for people who like to vacation there now but hopefully good news for Cubans
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 10:22 am
@ehBeth,
Oh well.....we had the place to ourselves for a good, long while.

It's only fair, I suppose.

D'you think that they'll open up Gitmo as part of the tourist itinerary? The US might as well get some of the tourist dollars as well.
engineer

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 10:37 am
@Lordyaswas,
I've been to Gitmo pre-prison days and it is beautiful. Take the military base out of there and it would be a great resort area.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 10:40 am
@engineer,
Keep it there and you have reasonably priced student accommodation!

Everyone's a winner.
engineer

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 10:45 am
@Lordyaswas,
Actually, Gitmo is an amazing deep water port. It would likely end up full of shipping wharfs.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 10:49 am
@engineer,
How much land does the USA have over there?

We could be talking massive real estate bonanza time.

Given the correct sympathetic development, it could be paradise.

Chances are though that it will end up with crammed in Disney style high rise. Hope not.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 10:51 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
Chances are though that it will end up with crammed in Disney style high rise.

that's what the office chatter is about - sad faces
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 11:00 am
With a big influx of US money, corporate greed and organized crime,
we may get to see a re-creation of the conditions that led to Castro's
revolution in the first place.
engineer

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 11:01 am
From Buzzfeed
Quote:
What We Know So Far

•The U.S. and Cuba have reached a historic agreement to normalize relations.
•America will open an embassy in Havana.
•There will be relaxed restrictions on U.S. travelers visiting Cuba, and Americans can return with a limited number of goods, including cigars.
•Part of the agreement was the release of Alan Gross, an American held in Cuba for five years on espionage allegations, for humanitarian reasons.
•Both nations have also exchanged alleged spies who were imprisoned.
•The White House credited Pope Francis in bringing the longtime rivals to the negotiating table.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 11:06 am
@George,
Oceans Thirteen?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 11:06 am
Reactions

Sen Rubio
Quote:
“My interest in Cuba has been the furthering of Democracy and freedom…nothing the President will announce today is going to further that goal and it’s ironic that a week after we imposed sanctions on human rights violators in Venezuela, we are lifting sanctions on the government that has taught the Venezuelans how to commit these human rights violations. It’s absurd.”

“It’s part of long record of coddling dictators and tyrants this administration has established.”

Sen Menendez
Quote:
“It invites dictatorial and rogue regimes to use Americans serving overseas as bargaining chips.”

“This asymmetrical trade will invite further belligerence toward Cuba’s opposition movement and the hardening of the government’s dictatorial hold on its people,” he continued. “Let us all remind ourselves that an untold number of ordinary people yearning for democracy remain imprisoned by the exact same tormentors that have punished Alan Gross and they, along with all Cubans, deserve a free and liberated Cuba.”

Sen Levin
Quote:
“Seeing Alan Gross walk off that plane with his wife, Judy, was a sight I’ll never forget,” Levin said. “His unjust imprisonment and his family’s nightmare are finally over. A more regular relationship between the United States and Cuba has been overdue and is now possible. U.S. policy up to now has not worked in U.S. interests, and it has not weakened the Cuban regime.

“Alan’s return home also sends a message to Americans held around the world that our nation will not rest until they come home. I support the president’s courageous decision.”
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 11:07 am
@George,
Some Canadian companies still have money in Cuba from before the revolution. I'll have to see if anyone needs my kind of SME Smile
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 11:10 am
@engineer,
As far as these Senators are concerned, who cares about who did what and when, when there is an opportunity to cut all the crap and start a new era as good neighbours.

Fifty years from now and everyone will wonder what all the fuss was about.
engineer

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 11:21 am
@Lordyaswas,
No disagreement here.

I think this is one of the reasons why this seems to have been done under the radar. By delivering a fait accompli, President Obama has avoided a concerted effort to stall diplomatic efforts. By striking now, Congress really can't do much over the next month to force through some sort of super sanctions bill to gut the effort either.
timur

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 11:33 am
Lordy wrote:
We could be talking massive real estate bonanza time.

Hardly..

The US don't own the land:

Quote:
The United States first seized Guantánamo Bay and established a naval base there in 1898 during the Spanish–American War in the Battle of Guantánamo Bay. In 1903, the United States and Cuba signed a lease granting the United States permission to use the land as a coaling and naval station. The lease satisfied the Platt Amendment; this amendment stated a naval base at "certain specific points agreed upon by the President of the United States" was needed to "enable the United States to maintain independence of Cuba." The United States and Cuba signed a treaty in 1934, granting the United States a perpetual lease; private enterprise is not allowed under the treaty.

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 11:35 am
@engineer,
Half of them have their trotters in various property development corporation troughs, so I don't think they'll be arguing too loudly.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 11:36 am
@timur,
I wonder how long it will be before that bit of the treaty is renegotiated?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 11:39 am
It's about damned time.