I miss not having a girlfriend.

SMickey

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 09:14 pm
Upon seeing the sentence 'I miss not having a girlfriend,'
I figured, 'The person saying that is not getting along well with his girlfriend,
and he probably wants to to back to the time when he was a single.'

To my surpise, however, I was told that what the speaker impled by saying that is he misses his girlfriend, and regrets not having one now.

Really?

Probably I'm not the only one bugged by this problem.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/7447/whats-the-story-with-the-british-use-of-miss-not-having-vs-miss-having

How common is it to say like that?

View best answer, chosen by SMickey
Builder

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 09:41 pm
If I miss my partner, I drop the magazine, and reload.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 09:47 pm
Miss

transitive verb
to fail to hit or land on (something aimed at)
to fail to meet, reach, attain, catch, accomplish, see, hear, perceive, understand, etc.
to overlook; let (an opportunity, etc.) go by
to escape; avoid: he just missed being struck
to fail or forget to do, keep, have, be present at, etc.: to miss an appointment
to notice the absence or loss of: to suddenly miss one's wallet
to feel or regret the absence or loss of; want: to miss one's friends

to be without; lack: now used only in present participle: this book is missing a page
0 Replies

chai2
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 09:51 pm
Interesting.

I'm an American, and I would use the "I really miss not having a girlfriend" as it's the only way it makes sense to me.

In the beginning of your link (sorry, I didn't read it all), it says:

When an American English speaker wishes to express regret that Joe doesn't come around any more, they would typically say, "I really miss having him around."

It seems that it's common for British English speakers, however, to say, "I really miss not having him around," when they mean the same thing. To me, this sounds like exactly the opposite of what they mean to say.

Again, as an American English speaker, I wouldn't ever say "I miss having him around", I would say "I miss NOT having him around"
chai2

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 09:54 pm
@chai2,
I'm curious, could you explain to me how you interpreted "I miss not having a girlfriend" as meaning you aren't getting along with the girlfriend you have?

Also, that sentence doesn't necessarily mean one is missing a particular person, but that you miss having a person you can call a girlfriend.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 10:02 pm
To me, saying "I miss not having a girl friend" says that one now has a girl friend, and is nostalgic for the days when one did not have a girlfriend. It sounds rather nonsensical to me.
Miss L Toad

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 10:28 pm
@SMickey,
Quote:

Utterly.

At the risk of miss be having, why ask the question when the link you posted explains the error?
oralloy

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2014 01:30 am
@SMickey,
SMickey wrote:

Not extremely common in my experience. But such speaking errors do happen.

When I read the sentence, I understood it as meaning he does not have a girlfriend but wishes he did.

The reason I took it that way is because it seems so much more likely that someone would desire happiness as opposed to desiring unhappiness. Because of that likelihood, I assumed that the person misspoke.
SMickey

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 02:15 am
@chai2,
Okay. Now I conclude that I need not to care too much about expressions
which are not that common or regarded as weird. Thank you, Chai2.
0 Replies

SMickey

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 02:19 am
@Setanta,
Amen to that. I'm relieved to hear that you thought it was nonsensical.
Thank you Setanta.
0 Replies

SMickey

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 02:21 am
@oralloy,
I see. It'd be rather abnormal to believe all people, without a single exception, speak correctly all the time. Right.
0 Replies

SMickey

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 02:24 am
@Miss L Toad,
I just wanted to know how much more natives think like that,
and as a S. Korean, I don't have many foreigners around me to rely on
when it comes to English but here.

Thank you Miss L Toad for your comment.
BTW, your name looks interesting.
I guess it's got a particular meaning.
Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 03:48 am
@SMickey,
Mistletoe is a semi-parasitic plant which attaches itself to the branches of shrubs and trees. It is chiefly known in western Europe, and was sacred to the pre-christian mystical and religious order known as Druids, among the Celts. It has become a symbol of the midwinter celebrations in countries where the Celtic people had such a festival, and so is also associated with the christian holiday of Christmas.

It is pronounced "miss-el-toh," so Miss L. Toad is making a play on words with her (?) screen name. The ancient Celtic custom was that violence was prohibited near any tree bearing mistletoe, so that enemies must part without attacking one another. This was changed into a custom at Christmas of hanging a spray of mistletoe from a door frame, and if a man and a woman pass through a doorway containing mistletoe, they are supposed to kiss one another.

http://www.history.org/Foundation/newsroom/holiday08/Mistletoe.jpg
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 05:09 am
@SMickey,
Quote:
Thank you Miss L Toad for your comment.
BTW, your name looks interesting.
I guess it's got a particular meaning.

My pleasure, Schmick, ty, yes my name is a joke, keep posting and always remember my time is your money.

0 Replies