The Game that Nobody Understands Game

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 03:39 pm
we could faintly hear the 'Russel'ing............................... Cool
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 03:44 pm
Very Happy

O, Doctor. I daydreamt that I dreamt that I was dreaming about arguing about some band name. Am I a turnip yet?

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 03:44 pm
Translating Russian obscene speech into English is difficult, as Russian mat (as such swearing was called, a word with the same root as the word for "mother") tends to be far more varied, complex, and lavish than English swearing, and often quite different in form. For example, the original here, gonite pozhalusta ginirala karnilova k khuiam sobachim (the many misspellings are in the original), literally means "please drive General Kornilov to the dog pricks."
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 03:46 pm
Soonthing
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 03:49 pm
nimh wrote:
Translating Russian obscene speech into English is difficult, as Russian mat (as such swearing was called, a word with the same root as the word for "mother") tends to be far more varied, complex, and lavish than English swearing, and often quite different in form. For example, the original here, gonite pozhalusta ginirala karnilova k khuiam sobachim (the many misspellings are in the original), literally means "please drive General Kornilov to the dog pricks."

That's really interesting; I wish that English had a proper equivalent to 'please drive General Kornilov to the dog pricks.' Much classier.

(Incidentally, Nimh; have you studied more Hungarian since the last time?)

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 03:53 pm
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 03:55 pm
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
nimh wrote:

That's really interesting; I wish that English had a proper equivalent to 'please drive General Kornilov to the dog pricks.' Much classier.

Yes. This was from a footnote to a translation that was made to read "Please drive out that ******* son of a bitch General Kornilov". Its just not the same thing.

dròm_et_rêve wrote:
(Incidentally, Nimh; have you studied more Hungarian since the last time?)

Nah. Nuthin.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 03:57 pm
We should start making incomprehensible curses now!

May Kafka lovingly lick your left earlobe.

0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 04:00 pm
Nabokovinertiadvertiseminarymansbookstorehabilitationwardchristiansoldiersatzitzikamandolin
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 04:01 pm
http://www.metalprovider.com/metalshtorm/images/group.jpg

Australia is not europe you know ! ! We don't have kangooroo in the parking of our supermarket !
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 04:08 pm
Truly a perplexing game; "we exit"
you being Jezebel or Aiden; ot the Taco Bell Guy?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 04:10 pm
Clary wrote:
Nabokovinertiadvertiseminarymansbookstorehabilitationwardchristiansoldiersatzitzikamandolin

Very Happy

Here is a thought: I wonder how people in the future will take this part of the site?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 04:10 pm
Made a new thread:

Florid + typical swear words / expressions, around the world

Nothing in it yet, tho ... you can still be first.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 04:15 pm
O, I am neither Aidan or Jezebel (certainly not the latter.) There is a Taco Bell guy in all of us. Most of which are Michael Moore.

Here's a VERY bad Dutch joke for our patron saint:

Een beroemd Amerikaans romanschrijver ontmoette bij een bezoek aan New York eens een wereldberoemd pianist. 'Ik ben op mijn manier ook musikus,' zei de schrijver. 'Mijn muzikaal talent heeft me eens het leven gered. Er was een grote overstroming in ons dorp, en toen het water ons huis bereikte, klom mijn vader op de keukentafel, en dreef de rivier af, totdat hij gered werd.'

'En U?' vroeg de musikus diep geroerd. 'O. Ik!' zei de schrijver. 'Ik begeleidde hem op de piano.'

*Bo dom, tish*

0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 04:18 pm
Possibly a touch funnier, if one spoke a little Dutch;

pianissimo.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 04:23 pm
http://www.hades.ru/ars/asz1.jpg

He is all, and everything else is small.

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 06:57 pm
But without money we couldn't start anything, and the money was in the banks. At the time, some believed that it was heretic when people like us, who were against capitalism and money, would get our money from the banks. Now thats become the most normal thing in the world. After all, we didnt need the money for ourselves. We took it because the revolution needed money. We were the first, at the time in Spain, the inventors so to say. At the time it was said that it was immoral. Now everyone knows its moral; at the time, people thought it was unjust; now everyone knows it is just.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 07:03 pm
Für Clary und anderes:

So we'll go no more a roving
So late into the night;
Though the heart be still as loving
And the moon be still as bright.

For the sword outwears its sheath
And the soul outwears the breast
And the heart must pause to breathe
And love itself to rest

Though the night was made for loving
and the day returns to soon
Yet we'll no more go a roving
By the light of the moon.

0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 10:53 pm
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
Clary wrote:

Very Happy

Here is a thought: I wonder how people in the future will take this part of the site?

since they probably won't be able to read, at that point, they may simply pray to it! Shocked
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 05:07 am
How awful would that be? I have my suspicions that they would think it as a get-rich-quick scheme that they need to decipher.

0 Replies