Adverbs

klovi

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 01:00 pm
Hello.
While doing exercises from english grammar about adverbs I found few sentences that I have some questions. Could someone help me, please?

1.) It was ALMOST midnight when we were leaving. - can I use instead almost nearly? If not, why?
2.) Mick can run very fast. I can play the piano very WELL instead. - can I use good instead well? If not, why?
3.) The plane flies to France DAILY . - can I use everyday instead daily? If not, why?
4.) I had to leave the house quickly (can it be fastly?) as it was nearly (can I use almost) 5 o'clock.
5.) My sister is lazy and she hardly ever (why almost never is wrong?)works.
6.) John drinks coffee twice a day and tea only occasionally (can I use from time to time? )
7.) The festival takes place yearly (can it be every year or annually?)
8.) Helen arrived shortly (can I use just?) after you left.

Thank you all for your help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 584 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 01:51 pm
@klovi,
Quote:
1.) It was ALMOST midnight when we were leaving. - can I use instead almost nearly?
I wouldn't
Quote:
If not, why?
Redundant

Quote:
2.) Mick can run very fast. I can play the piano very WELL instead. - can I use good instead well?
You can but I wouldn't

Quote:
If not, why?
It's collo

However the apparent lack of context leaves one wondering what Mick's running speed has to do with your playing the piano. I might have written,

Our abilities varied widely. A typical example: Mick is able to run very fast, requiring coordination between the legs and arms but of course not the fingers. Instead consider me: Whereas I'd fall over after running 40 ft, I think you'd agree I play the piano very skillfully
contrex

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 03:23 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
2.) Mick can run very fast. I can play the piano very WELL instead. - can I use good instead well?
You can but I wouldn't

You can't (or shouldn't) say "I can play the piano very good", because it is bad standard English to use an adjective (good) where an adverb (e.g. "well") is required.

dalehileman

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 04:46 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
...because it is bad standard English
Yea Con but much collo is precisely bad English
contrex

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 01:53 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
...because it is bad standard English
Yea Con but much collo is precisely bad English

The OP is a foreign learner doing an exercise; he/she does not need to worry aboit "collo".
dalehileman

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:08 am
@contrex,
Quote:
he/she does not need to worry aboit "collo"
Point well taken Con, I have often wondered about this

http://able2know.org/topic/261349-1#post-5829956
0 Replies