Long-Absence from Spouse

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 07:53 pm
In a few days my fiance will be leaving for a long absence back to her home state. She will be gone for a few months for very sad reasons. She made a terrible mistake to get behind the wheel of a car drunk and hit someone. Thankfully they are okay now and she has since acknowledged her alcoholism and completely quit drinking almost 2 years ago. Her case is just now being closed with a plea deal where she had to accept 30 days in jail. She knew she couldn't do the 30 days straight so she will be allowed to do them over the weekends. I'm in law school where we live know with classes during the week so we may not see each other at all. On top of all this we have three 3 dogs between us which I'm nervous about taking care of all by myself. Generously one of her parents is a professor is offering to take a sabbatical so he can come stay and provide me help while he works on his textbook. I'm very nervous about being apart from her for so long because of how close we are and how dependent I am on her for emotional support. I love her so much. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I'd love any advice you can give me.

Pearlylustre

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 09:04 pm
@anonymous2036,
If you find the thought of a few months apart - (and caring for three dogs...not children - dogs) - so daunting then it seems like a good opportunity for you to toughen up a little! You will be doing your fiancee a favour by becoming more self-reliant. I know many people whose partners are away for extended periods of time with their work and the problem is usually that they get used to being on their own and resent the intrusion when their partner comes back....it's true of most of my marriage! My advice is do what you need to do.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 09:34 pm
" She knew she couldn't do the 30 days straight"
Why?

"so she will be allowed to do them over the weekends."
Check in Fri. and let out Sun? That's 3 days x 10 weeks = almost 3 months.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 09:53 pm
@Pearlylustre,
Sure lucky one of her parents can take a sabbatical to help take care of the dogs.
0 Replies