Why have I had my period for over a month?!

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 07:00 pm
I am 17, currently on Ortho-TriCyclen Lo and am sexually active. I normally take my pill at 9pm, but sometimes I take it from a few minutes to a few hours later. Once or twice I have forgotten a pill and taken it as soon as I remembered (according to the instructions, that's what to do).

My period has been regular for the past few years, to an extent, and I have it every 28 days. However, this month my period has been on and off for a literal month. It comes for a few days, then goes away for one or two and then all of a sudden, it's back again in full force!!

The blood is darker now and thick and clotted so I'm kind of assuming that it's from build up. I don't know why it would build up though, unless I was pregnant and didn't know it. Is it possible that I got pregnant and has an early miscarriage or something like that?? I have been stressed out a lot lately too, but it's almost going on 5 weeks of stopping and starting at the MOST inconvenient times and places! (Think Church, School, Boyfriend's house, etc.) I'm used to having a heavy flow, but this is too much! I've been having headaches on and off too, along with nausea once in a while.

I have an appointment scheduled with my Gynecologist for Dec. 9th, which was the earliest they could see me, for an exam and a refill on my BC.

Can someone please help me in the meantime???

View best answer, chosen by M12346pb
jespah
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 07:14 pm
@M12346pb,
I'm really glad you're going to your OB/GYN. In the meantime, it probably wouldn't hurt you to up your iron intake, either with a vitamin pill or eating more iron-rich foods (red meat, spinach, etc. Google away for more ideas), as the blood loss might be making you a tad anemic.

I'm not a doctor, so there's really nothing else I can tell you. I hope you feel better soon; sounds like you're really uncomfortable.
M12346pb

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 07:47 pm
@jespah,
Thanks for the advice! I've been googling stuff all day, but I couldn't find anything that fit my circumstances.
Banana Breath

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 10:13 pm
@M12346pb,
Quote:
I couldn't find anything that fit my circumstances.

https://www.healthtap.com/user_questions/942711
Quote:
OB/GYN Dr. Paula Hillard says " Hormonal causes: This sounds like an hormonal inbalance, such as pcos or other reason such as thyroid or other reasons.

So be sure to discuss it with your doctor.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 10:31 pm
@M12346pb,
My daughter had this kind of issue but it was over a year or so. When she finally saw a doc it turned out to be hormone issues. By that time she had alarmingly low iron, which took months to fix.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 06:38 am
@nononono,
Enough about you, nono, now give an answer.
Below viewing threshold (view)