Is love overrated?

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 08:17 pm
35 year old,mixed race female. Raised in what I have come to realize in therapy was a very abusive,atypical household (sexual abuse,drug use,verbal abuse and severe physical abuse almost daily). No parental love or affection and never been loved as an adult. Getting older now and watching people's relationships fail,watching others be heartbroken as marriages end,family members betray them..etc. and I wonder Am I truly missing out or is being loved overrated? I have loved others and know I have the ability to feel love but have never experienced being loved in return. I know this is not typical but is it okay? Can a person still consider one's self a good person or a successful person even if they've never been loved by another human being? How does being loved feel to the recipient? Not speaking on romantic love exclusively. I have never even had a true friend that cared for me. If you can please answer all 3 questions above.
Many thanks in advance.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 09:26 pm
@Anaon012,
How do you know that you have never been loved? How can you possibly know what another person may or may not have felt for you? What do you expect to happen when someone else loves you? Just askin'.
Anaon012

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 09:48 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
That's a very thought provoking question. Thank you for asking it.
While it is certainly true that I am without the ability to know the thoughts of another I would assume that if another person ever loved me that love would be apparent by the individual's expressed desire to be in my life day to day, spend time with me when possible, have an ongoing relationship with me of either a platonic or romantic nature and would at some point have led to a conversation (on at least one occasion) that consisted of dialogue pertaining to how much I am loved/appreciated/enjoyed/cared for and/or how much the relationship or time spent with me in the relationship was/is valued. I have never had an ongoing relationship with a person that was not related to work nor have I ever been told I was loved,pursued nor sought out to spend time with another person or even been the recipient of many telltale gestures such as hugs or affectionate touching outside of gestures that accompany dialogue such as "This is a very thoughtful gift/gesture/act,thank you so much!" or "Really sorry your brother died". If anyone has ever loved me it has never been expressed physically,verbally in writing or via gesture. The only way a person has ever loved me is if they fell in love from a distance,without ongoing and meaningful contact based on seriously superficial criteria and chose to keep that realization entirely to themselves. Even then that is perceived love based on superficial criteria and is not the result of anything I am or did which wouldn't meet my standard. That to me is more the definition of infatuation and having been often described as "nerdy", "plain" and "socially awkward" is a highly unlikely theory. A vixen I am not...not by any means.
Eliusa

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 10:31 am
@Anaon012,
It is very interested question. About non romantic love. How do you feel it?
WOW!
I grew up in a very loving family thought my father was tough on me.
My Mom is my best friend but there is no mush. We had always been friends.
Some days we were enemies but not for to long. I can't tell I felt something. Only when I was sick my Mom would go above and beyond to make me feel better. I don't think there is really showing on affection from non romantic relationships. Maybe when you are a baby.

What comes to romantic - you will know. he will want to be with you every second of his life. Hopefully it will be mutual;)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 12:29 pm
Yes, "love" is overrated. The acnients (the Greeks and Romans) considered romantic love to be a mild form of mental illness. For thousands of years, marriages have been arranged, and in the best cases (those arranged without political motive), they usually worked out fairly well, because they were arranged with a view to the material security of the coupe.

We can like a great many people, and mature adults can learn to live together with a great many people. I'd say the best way to establish a relationship is to get to know a person in a wide variety of situations, and to look out for the danger signs of underlying anger and ungovernable temper (the most likely conditions of immaturity in men). Even then, one can be mistaken. I'd say not to waste your time looking for "love." Look for a compatible partner. Who knows, you might get lucky and find a lover, too.
Eliusa

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 08:14 am
@Setanta,
We all know what happened to ancient Empires, right? So let's not go by what they thought...
Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 07:26 pm
@Eliusa,
The Roman Empire lasted for over 2000 years--how long has your homeland been in business? Let's not go by flippant, superficial judgement.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 07:43 pm
@Anaon012,
Quote:
Am I truly missing out or is being loved overrated?

I would take friendship over love anyday. Romantic love, in particular, is most often fleeting and undependable. I wouldn't make life-long decisions based on it.

Quote:
I know this is not typical but is it okay?

It is and you are most definitely OK in my book.

Quote:
Can a person still consider one's self a good person or a successful person even if they've never been loved by another human being?

Absolutely. Nobody gets to choose which family they're born into and don't have much choice about the people they end up surrounded by at work or wherever. Your situation is as much a reflection on them as it is you, I'd say.

Quote:
How does being loved feel to the recipient?

I imagine that you'd get a lot of different answers to that one. For me, it has tended to start out as a feeling of affirmation, and thus, comfort. However, over time it has usually evolved into a burden. It would take too long to explain the details.

The way you write and discuss your past gives me the impression that you're an intelligent and level-headed person. Perhaps you're just surrounded by idiots? Wink
0 Replies