Most Heavy Drinkers Are Not Alcoholics, According To New Study

FBM

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 06:24 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Meh. Tell him to walk it off. **** happens.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 06:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Chocolate was a serious problem for me for several years. I would go out on payday and spend $50-$75 on truffles alone.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 07:21 am
@FBM,
I do enjoy a couple of glasses of wine here and there. Any more than that renders me incapacitated the following day. I just read about the death of actress Elizabeth Pena. The cause of death was complications due to alcohol abuse...she was 55.
FBM

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 07:40 am
@Germlat,
I do understand that. I don't indulge to the point of being affected the next day. I'm an insomniac and I just sip a little soju until I get sleepy. Never remotely sloppy. (Still not a good solution, I know.)

I read about people like Elizabeth Pena who drink so much every day despite the obvious effects on their health, work and relationships...I just can't fathom it. I've self-examined pretty thoroughly and I can't find any aspect of my daily life that suffers from my current amount of late-night consumption. The alcohol would go long before I let that happen.
Germlat

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 07:55 am
@FBM,
I don't see anything unhealthy about that. I agree that when a habit is causing problems wether interpersonal or health wise, and that person cannot surrender that habit...it's more than likely an addiction.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 08:27 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
I do understand that. I don't indulge to the point of being affected the next day.
I'm an insomniac and I just sip a little soju until I get sleepy.
I get that service from my TV or my computer.
FBM

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 08:38 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I envy you. My TV is functionally a 42" monitor. I don't watch TV at all. Haven't in years. My farting around on the internet at night is part of the problem, I think. I did download this thing that darkens the monitor at sunset so as to not interfere with my sleep so much. Seems to help a little. But not as much as the soju...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 08:42 am
@FBM,
Sometimes, when I fall asleep in front of my computer or TV,
my lower legs swell up.
FBM

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 08:49 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Good thing it's not your upper legs, then. That would be a bitch. I don't even have upper legs. Somehow I wound up with arms up there. Wink
0 Replies

Banana Breath

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 09:05 am
Quote:
Most Heavy Drinkers Are Not Alcoholics, According To New Study

Probably by the same folks who decided our beloved Pluto isn't a planet.
http://i60.tinypic.com/210f0ud.gif
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 09:07 am
@FBM,
I'm curious if your second friend - the one who doesn't drink, but then binges - has any Amerindian or Irish ancestry. Both groups have been found to have an increased risk for alcohol intolerance leading to binging and to alcoholism. I've know a few really angry drunks, and drinkers who are not typically drinkers unless they have one and then it's all over until the cops arrive.
JPB

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 09:12 am
@FBM,
From your article
Quote:
Women who have eight or more drinks per week and men who have 15 or more are considered heavy drinkers.

Signs of alcoholism include an inability to stop or reduce drinking, continuing to drink even after it causes problems with family or work, and excessive time spent drinking each day.

Only a third of those who admitted binge drinking 10 or more times in the previous month were alcoholics, the study found. The CDC defines binge drinking as consuming four drinks for women and five drinks for men in a single occasion.

I think there's another category that's missing. "Problem drinkers", which may include heavy drinkers, binge drinkers, and alcoholics, but there are high functioning and low/non functioning persons within each of those categories. I would define a problem drinker as one who is low functioning after consuming alcohol regardless of the amount or frequency.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 09:43 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
... one who doesn't drink, but then binges ...
According to Jellinek's definition, such a person would by an Epsilon-alcoholic, periodic alcoholism. (Colloquially such a periodic drunkard is called in German "quarterly boozer".)

It's difficult to judge, if those are really just heavy boozers or alcoholics.
Germlat

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 09:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

JPB wrote:
... one who doesn't drink, but then binges ...
According to Jellinek's definition, such a person would by an Epsilon-alcoholic, periodic alcoholism. (Colloquially such a periodic drunkard is called in German "quarterly boozer".)

It's difficult to judge, if those are really just heavy boozers or alcoholics.

True. But-- also heavy binging can also cause liver damage.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 09:49 am
@Germlat,
And damage your wallet/bank account.
chai2

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 10:02 am
Sigh.

I have a number of thoughts on this article. Most of which can be boiled down to this emoticon.... Rolling Eyes

To me, it's just another oft repeated article or "test" for many people to console themselves with "Hey, I'm not an alcoholic, I'm just a heavy drinker!" Or insert binge, problem, whatever more palatable term you want to use.

It boils down to "I'm an alcoholic and my life is more fucked up than it should be" as opposed to "I'm a (problem, heavy, binge etc) drinker and my life is more fucked up than it should be."

This talk of "misdiagnosing"? Just another loophole in my opinion. Come on, it's not like you misdiagnosed yourself and came to the conclusion that you're not diabetic, don't have parkinson's, aren't epileptic.

Officer, you don't have to arrest me, I'm just a heavy drinker.

People who don't have problems with alcohol don't much do more than look at the headline of articles like this, or quickly scan on their way to something more pertinent.

People who do, or have friend/family that do, read in much more depth.

People who are alcoholic, heavy, binge etc and have stopped and are living a good life probably don't much care to read it either, as it's just old news to them.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 10:09 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
People who are alcoholic, heavy, binge etc and have stopped and are living a good life probably don't much care to read it either, as it's just old news to them.
Exactly!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 12:07 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
It boils down to "I'm an alcoholic and my life is more fucked up than it should be" as opposed to "I'm a (problem, heavy, binge etc) drinker and my life is more fucked up than it should be."

I think it's a little deeper than that. I have no idea what label or category my father fell into but he didn't think he had a problem with alcohol. WE did. From his perspective that made it our problem, not his. I think the idea of whatever label ending up in an endpoint of "my life is more fucked up than it should be" is in the eyes of the beholder.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 12:17 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Suppose that u invite people over
for a cocktail party, but after a while,
a guest goes to rape ing on your wife or child; what to DO!

Examine your choice of friends. Why do you hang about with potential rapists? Might it have something to do with NRA membership?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 12:29 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Quote:

I think it's a little deeper than that. I have no idea what label or category my father fell into but he didn't think he had a problem with alcohol. WE did. From his perspective that made it our problem, not his. I think the idea of whatever label ending up in an endpoint of "my life is more fucked up than it should be" is in the eyes of the beholder.

His life was fucked up. You and the rest of the family are part of his life. Whether or not he acknowledged that doesn't make it not so.

When I say "My life is fucked up" That means and or all aspects of your life, including family.

Labels and categories. That's such a new idea for this. I'm a drunk. I don't need a 1-10 scale or some way to rationalize why and when I drink. I don't need to take a test to tell me I have a problem. For example, I only drink when I fight with my spouse. In other words, when something is negative.
A person doesn't rationalize their drinking saying "I only have a couple/few drinks when at an event like a wedding" if they have no drinking problem. Because there is no problem.
Finding reasons why you get drunk is a pretty clear sign that all is not roses.

All in all, it's not that difficult to tell if you're a drunk. Or your family/friends.
0 Replies