column on the language of marriage

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 07:57 pm
Jon Carroll of the San Francisco Chronicle is one of my favorite columnists.
When he is on vacation, the paper runs old columns that were favorites for the readers. This column ran this last week, but it took me this long to get a good link for it.

J. Carroll column on marriage
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,826 • Replies: 10
No top replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 08:38 pm
wonderful column osso.

I find that being w. mr. onyx in this marriage shows me how ridiculous a conversation I can have, or a statement I can make which would be totally misunderstood (or not even bothered about) by the world at large, but means something to this man to whom I've pledged my life's length.

I must say that the silence which exists, when we are silent is very comforting in that I know it doesn't matter. Waht doesn't matter? Absolutely nothing. whatever we have, whatever we're speaking about can be communicated in a billion gazillion ways - and I'm comfortable witht he fact that not all of them are recognizable by the rest of the world.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 08:39 pm
VERY nice column.

We bet, too. We never remember the score, though. Then we bet on who wins bets more.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 11:36 pm
We used to bet banana splits. HE never remembered the score, surely very conveniently, heh.

Banana splits were surely iconic, as real ones are kind of hard to find now.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 11:48 pm
We've got no bets: we're both wrong most of the time.

I smiled reading the restaurant bit. Sometimes, now, we'll be sitting in a bar or restaurant, and I'll suddenly feel self-conscious: we're not saying anything.

But that's the point. There's nothing to prove -- no chitchat (unless we feel like it), no self-aggrandizing (we've seen each other at our most pathetic and vulnerable, so what's the point?). I know that she'll talk for too long about the French Open draw, and that's cool. She knows that I'll still be picking out the same music on the guitar in five years, with maybe three new wrinkles, and I hope that's cool too.

Sorry, what was the question? I miss Caroll's columns. Miss the Sporting Green, too, which I still think is the best sports section around.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 12:10 am
Hmm, if you are bored one day, look up SF Gate, his columns and sports columns are on line..
but then you probably know that.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 12:11 am
Well, I didn't realize it until now.

Is Herb Caen still alive?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 12:15 am
No, Herb Caen died a while ago now.

http://www.sfgate.com/
See columnists in tiny blue print on the left..
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:06 am
Damn, he died before I left California (but long after by subscription had lapsed). I hope it wasn't his favorite Vietnamese place on "sleazy" Sixth Street that did him in -- I love their soup. (And Dylans, and the German cook... ah, the San Francisco I remember.)

Sorry about the verbosity -- I've been spending hours chopping an interesting and informative 20 minute speech down to a numbing and worthless five minutes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 09:56 am
Don't be sorry, nice to talk w/you.

Five minutes, not much time, talk fast!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 07:16 pm
That IS a nice little article.

I love the turning back and looking for the arrows! I would SO do that - and enjoy it - I kinda don't mind losing those ones.

That stuff happens with old friends, too.....lots.
0 Replies