How Are You Doing Out There, Frozen America?

vonny

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 05:56 am
@ehBeth,
Woah - that makes me dizzy! Clever graphics. The weather here is unseasonably mild - at this time of year we are normally worrying about frozen pipes and whether to leave the heating on overnight. Today, twelve hours into the new year, it's an unbelievable 48 degrees F - wow, hope it lasts!
ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 10:29 am
@vonny,
almost noon on New Year's Day 23 F, wind chill temp of 7

I'm making tea

brrr
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 10:38 am
@ehBeth,
26.4F at my weather station now, supposed to get up to 36. Light dusting of snow so far. Tomorrow reportedly similar, then things will warm up for another week.

Having coffee with some almond milk in it, waiting for a slice of ricotta torte to thaw. I've had the odd inclination to make some gelato recently, but today is not the day.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 09:50 pm
Another snowy weekend for ABQ.

Winter Storm Warning in New Mexico

Active for next 9 hours
Posted January 2, 2015 3:13 PM MST – National Weather Service

Winter Storm to impact southern and central sections of New Mexico through tonight.

A strengthening upper level low pressure system will bring snow to the southeastern half of New Mexico through tonight. A brief period of sleet and freezing rain may mix with the snow in parts of the east central to Southeast Plains through early evening before becoming heavy snow overnight. Accumulating snow will also focus within a broad band on the back side of the storm system from Socorro County northeast across the Albuquerque metro area and the East Mountain Communities tonight. Travel may become treacherous across portions of New Mexico through tonight, and some roads may be closed due to heavy snow.

Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 6 am MST Saturday.

A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow remains in effect until 6 am MST Saturday.

Snow accumulations: 2 to 5 inches below 7500 feet and 6 to 10 inches above 7500 feet. This snow event is expected to fall in a broad band from Socorro County northeast to the Albuquerque metro area, the East Mountain Communities, and around Clines corners. The Heaviest amounts will fall in the high terrain west of Socorro where as much as 15 inches are possible.
Timing: snow showers will turn heavier and more steady this evening through midnight. Snow is expected to have fully exited the area by early morning Saturday.
Winds: No widespread significant winds are expected.
Snow levels: temperatures will be cold enough for snow at all locations.
Local Impacts: impacts to travel are expected due to snowfall accumulations, including portions of Interstate 40, Interstate 25, highways 60 and 550. In addition to snow packed and icy roads. Reduced visibility is also expected at times in snow and freezing fog.
Recommended actions
A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts of snow are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only Travel in an emergency. If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food. And Water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 08:11 pm
Winter in Albuquerque is cold and Yucca.

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/p720x720/1531732_10153521990857785_2827205635030483786_o.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 08:20 pm
@Butrflynet,
just got back from taking Miss Bella for a walk - she had on her down coat and balloon paws. I had my down coat on and shearling lined boots. We found the bandanna she lost the other night (it was keeping her coat tight around her neck as it was verra verra blustery). I will thaw/wash/dry her bandanna so it's ready again.
vonny

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 05:00 am
@ehBeth,
We've had some strange weather so far this year - tornadoes, thunderstorms, snow in places, winds of up to 120mph - amidst days of unseasonal warmth. Very puzzling and rather scary - probably very tiny tornadoes compared to those in the U.S.A. but not something we usually see in the U.K.
farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 05:23 am
@vonny,
we are slipping into a traditional "January Thaw". Our grounds are frozen so we can expect an overabundance of mud as the temperatures begin to rise. Shortly, (within the nxt 3 weeks) we begin "mud auction season', which are mid to late winter sales that get folks out of their homes to celebrate the coming light with outdoor markets
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 08:42 am
I was out there at 2.45am this morning, retrieving my two wheelie bins that had been blown down the road.

Next time I shall dress before going out. One would think that people had never seen a leopard print thong before.
margo

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 11:59 am
@Lordyaswas,
?pictures???
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 12:00 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Of course it could have been worse...it could have been me in a thong.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 12:48 pm
@Lordyaswas,
So that was you racing along the road in front of our house this morning - drove our dog mad, she's still barking with fright!!!
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 03:22 pm
We had our first real taste of winter this morning. The first snow of the season. It didn't stay for long, but it was heavy when it fell. We're lucky - some parts of the country are much worse off than we are.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 03:25 pm
@vonny,
My boy's girlfriend is currently on her way back to this Sceptred Isle after having spent the past four weeks with him out in Sydney (35c).

She'll notice the difference when she lands at Heathrow tomorrow.
vonny

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 03:26 pm
@Lordyaswas,
It has turned considerably colder in the last couple of days.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 05:13 am
Ice has engulfed a lighthouse as a fierce winter storm grips South Haven, Michigan. Sharp icicles and surreal formations can be seen hanging from the railings after strong waves crashed onto the piers. After each coating the water quickly freezes to ice and the pier is transformed into a slippery, white wonderland. Weather in the area dipped into the minus figures and froze over Lake Michigan in the beginning of January.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03172/potd-ice-lighthous_3172948k.jpg
0 Replies