does anyone know lebanese?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 01:29 pm
Cyanure wrote:
Hi judithlawrence
well I am Lebanese.
If you have any question please feel free to ask.
And sorry for being late Embarrassed

Obviously, judithlawrence doesn't have any further questions .... and I'm even much later with this response:

ARABIC, NORTH LEVANTINE SPOKEN: a language of Syria, SIL code: APC; ISO 639-2: sem

Quote:

ARABIC, NORTH LEVANTINE SPOKEN: a language of Syria

Alternate names LEVANTINE ARABIC, NORTH LEVANTINE ARABIC, LEBANESE-SYRIAN ARABIC, SYRO-LEBANESE ARABIC

Population 8,800,000 in Syria, including 6,000,000 in Lebanese-Central Syrian, 1,000,000 in North Syrian (1991). Population total all countries 15,000,000.

Region Also spoken in Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Belize, Cyprus, Dominican Republic, French Guiana, Israel, Jamaica, Lebanon, Mali, Puerto Rico, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey (Asia).

Also spoken in:
Lebanon Language name ARABIC, NORTH LEVANTINE SPOKEN

Population 3,900,000 in Lebanon, 93% of the population (1991).

Alternate names LEVANTINE ARABIC, LEBANESE-SYRIAN ARABIC, SYRO-LEBANESE ARABIC

Dialects NORTH LEBANESE ARABIC, NORTH-CENTRAL LEBANEE ARABIC, SOUTH-CENTRAL LEBANESE ARABIC, SOUTH LEBANESE ARABIC, CENTRAL SYRIAN ARABIC (SHAMI).

source: Ethnologue: Languages of the World, 14th Edition; Bibliography database last modified: November-2003; Publications catalog database last modified: January-2004http://www.ethnologue.com/home.asp
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 02:56 pm
"Also spoken in Suriname"?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 03:12 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
"Also spoken in Suriname"?

Quote:
Republic of Suriname. National or official language: Dutch. 414,000 (1998 UN). Literacy rate 65% to 95%. Also includes North Levantine Spoken Arabic, English, Korean, Portuguese. Information mainly from SIL 1964-1999. Christian, Hindu, Muslim, traditional religion, secular, Baha'i. Blind population 1,300 (1982 WCE). Deaf population 25,646. Deaf institutions: 1. Data accuracy estimate: A2. The number of languages listed for Suriname is 16. Of those, 15 are living languages and 1 is a second language without mother tongue speakers. Diversity index 0.79.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 03:16 pm
Wow I didn't know that (though Suriname used to be part of the Netherlands till 1975). What I knew about the Suriname population was that it consisted mostly out of the offspring of slaves brought from Africa by the Dutch, offspring of slaves brought from India (by the Dutch, we were real good at it, though that is NOT something to be proud off), Native people ("Indians") and Chinese people (who came as merchants), as well as offspring of Dutch people. But this is interesting indeed. Smile
0 Replies

shibo77

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 03:34 pm
What does ethnologue say about the United States? Shocked
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 03:43 pm
Damn A2K is such a font of information...until today I had no idea they spoke their own....oh! Lebanese. Never mind.....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 03:44 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Damn A2K is such a font of information...until today I had no idea they spoke their own....oh! Lebanese. Never mind.....

Just popping in to make sure you made that joke bear. Laughing
0 Replies