How did Albuquerque become the largest city in New Mexico?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 02:46 pm
@Butrflynet,
That all correct (besides, there's a lot more information avaible than on wikipedia).

But the title of this and original question was, how did Albuquerque become the largest city in New Mexico.

It already was the largest city in 1900 - what happened afterwards, certainly made the city larger.

The question (now) could be, why Santa Fe didn't grow as much as Albuquerque did. My personal opinion, tongue-in-cheek, is that at first it was 'Americanised' too much and too fast by newcomers from “back East" at the end of the 19th century, and then, in the 20th century, it became too much and too fast "picturesque" - slapping adobe-colored stucco on anything that didn’t move.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 03:14 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Yeah, Santa Fe has an artificial feel to it.

It's a town that's been specifically manufactured to be a tourist trap.
roger

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 03:26 pm
@InfraBlue,
They tell me it used to be a nice, little town. I can't confirm this.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 03:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The new huge plaza in Santa Fe, by the railroad tracks in town, is going in as different from the old loved one (not replacing it, but different) with non-adobe style buildings.

No link right now.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 03:36 pm
@roger,
When I was out there with my Uncle(who was aUSGS geologist) Santa Fe was a neat town it had a neighbirhoody feeling and lots of tex mex cooking.
Albuquerque was the ne I never really got to like, I spent most of my time at the labs and at Carlsbad. Wed go far an wide to find good BBQ and in AB all we hd was POIDRILLS
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 03:36 pm
@roger,
Well, you shouldn't have gone there on Stagecoach with John Ford, roger Wink
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 03:41 pm
@InfraBlue,
I've only been there with a2kers or a2k related folks (like Walter's wife, along with Diane).

Arty-farty, and I know from arty-farty, but I won't say that I don't enjoy the place. On the other hand, I was never the one driving, aaaaack.

My gripe about both Abq and Santa Fe is.... signage. Worst damned signage, it almost seems on purpose.
farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 04:05 pm
@ossobuco,
AB became the biggest city by the interlacing of two things

Closing Ft Marcy and moving the RR
and, most importantly
WORLD WAR II
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 04:09 pm
@farmerman,
My father was around New Mexico back then, off and on, and for a time after, related to the Manhattan Project et al.
Years later we drove 66, more than once, but I don't remember him talking on and on about it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 04:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I thought all that John Wayne/John Ford crap took place in Monument Valley, Utah. That's where they filmed The Searchers, if you can imagine Comanches any where close to Monument Valley.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 04:23 pm
@farmerman,
I thought it was the Bugs Bunny cartoons.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 04:25 pm
And it always makes me hum this.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 09:32 pm
@izzythepush,
. NO, that was ALBA- KOI'- KEE
izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 03:52 am
@farmerman,
So it's got a fish in the middle.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 04:34 am
Obligatory post . . .

0 Replies

lodoband

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 09:23 am
The fact that both I-25 and I-40 run through (as of the 1950's when the country started building the interstate highways) Albuquerque likely contributed though it sounds like Albuquerque may already have been the largest city before this project began.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2015 11:43 am
In March, the [urlhttp://www.cabq.gov/culturalservices/albuquerque-museum/exhibitions/upcoming-exhibitions]Albuquerque Museum[/url] will start a special exhibition related to this topic:
Quote:
Only in Albuquerque
March 2015

Opening in March of 2015, the Albuquerque Museum will unveil the highly anticipated Only in Albuquerque history gallery. After many years of redesign, construction, story development and fabrication, the Museum will give our community an interactive, engaging, fun-filled presentation of the history and culture of the central Rio Grande Valley. Along with the presentation of our community’s stories, there will be lots to learn and do. Make your own family Coat of Arms; electronically send a Route 66 postcard to a friend; create a personal “quilt” of images from the Museum’s collections; and record your story to share in the Museum and with friends. You will be able to experience vibrant theatres, virtual reality storybooks and use a state of the art App, developed especially for our visitors.

One of the videos, is called Mail Time!. It's one of the Storybook videos, in which an animated character takes you through part of the history of Albuquerque. In this case, the story is about a (fictional) German immigrant who worked on the railroad in Albuquerque and is who has written a letter home about his work.

(Right at the end, when he asks if his family has booked passage to America yet, there's an etching, which I contributed.)
0 Replies