Liar Liar Pants On Fire

doglover

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 08:51 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Oddly, I voted for Goldwater in '64.

LOL edgar...that is odd. You must have really despised Johnson!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 08:59 am
Johnson - ole Landslide Lyndon - was from my home state. When it was announced Kennedy wanted him for VP, I had a presentament that made me not want him so close to the White House. I supported Nixon in 60, although too young to vote, because of Johnson.
(He became known locally as Landslide Lyndon when he ran for the Senate and was apparently going to lose, until, fortuitously, they were able to find more votes cast by Duval County cemetary residents).
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:05 am
edgarblythe wrote:

(He became known locally as Landslide Lyndon when he ran for the Senate and was apparently going to lose, until, fortuitously, they were able to find more votes cast by Duval County cemetary residents).

I thought Maryland was the only state which allowed the dead to vote. LOL
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:07 am
Oh, no; t's a common practice. Apparently quite legal, too.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:13 am
Well, I can't see how it could be legal. My guess is millions of dead people will be voting this November to assure GW another four years in office. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:54 am
mysteryman wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Joe
Didn't Finn and Mysteryman just get through telling you that only the paperboy sees these things? Don't go making things up, please.

I said nothing of the kind.What I said is that just like every other office on the planet,people are hired to do a job.Part of that job nvolves making decisions.So,it it quite possible that Cheney didnt see the info,because someone else did their job and took care of that info.

Dont put words in my mouth.

Every now and then edgar reads a posting to mean what he would like to argue against, rather than what the author intended.

We both said it was rationally possible that Cheney did not know of the "cordination." I went on to blast the VP for not making certain that his Office avoided even the appearence of conflict, and expressed support for an investigation.

But when edgar is in the grips of one his partisan seizures, petty details are brushed aside, lest they interrupt the rythmn of the self-satisfied banter with fellow travelers.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 10:27 am
Edgar
edgarblythe wrote:
Oddly, I voted for Goldwater in '64.

Edgar, don't feel bad, Hillary Clinton campaigned and voted for Goldwater, too. She hadn't matured yet.

I was never in the military although I was married to two veterans. And when Ayn Rand's books were published, I read them and thought she was a fool---and I was very young then, in my twenties and thirties.

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 11:58 am
I think Ayn Rand was half right. She made a few justifiable observations and then developed a system of belief that could in practice enslave the masses of humankind.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 11:59 am
I'm working just now - will address Finn's litlle pecadillo later.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 12:52 pm
finn has a litlle pecadillo? I suppose we ought to have guessed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 02:12 pm
Finn
I was trying to joke. Still, there's an underlying truth to what I said. You can't tell me he would be in his office tending chia pets while the underlings take care of decisions like the ones mentioned.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 02:48 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Finn
I was trying to joke. Still, there's an underlying truth to what I said. You can't tell me he would be in his office tending chia pets while the underlings take care of decisions like the ones mentioned.

Obviously you were trying to be humorous; at the expense of me and mysteryman.

I have no problem with the intent.

I take no offense at an artful barb, nor for that matter, a trite one like blatham's phallus related innuendo.

But these darts tend to be most humorous when they actually correspond to something someone has written, or remain within the context of what is written.

I can't tell you anything about what takes place in Cheney's Office (You do realize that the Office of the VP consists of numerous actual office spaces?)
with any more accuracy than you can tell me what takes place. I can, reasonably, I believe, make the observation that it's possible that one of his underlings took certain action without his knowing of it. Such things happen all of the time and are usually the way candidates like John Kerry and Al Gore explain away discoveries of campaign financing irregularities. Surely, you're not suggesting these stalwarts have lied about such things in the past, are you?

I would agree that it is improbable that Cheney was not aware, but if he was, he should still have taken steps to assure no such conflict might arise. Either way he's in the soup, and there should be an investigation into the circumstances. Hyper technical legal arguments for how "Chinese Walls" have been created between Cheaney and Haliburton don't cut it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 03:06 pm
All politicians tell lies. In a system flawed the way it is, it's a matter of survival. That's a given. Bush, Cheney, Kerry - all of them. There are lies to get and hold power, which are an accepted part of the election process, like it or not. That's why I rarely listen to election speeches. THe lies of Cheney concerning questions mentioned above is a different sort and he should be held accountable. You think he may be telling it straight. Good for you. While I don't sit in Cheney's office to be sure he tends to business, in my read the circumstantial look of it would say he's a bleeping liar trying to pass the blame to subordinates. You have a good intellect and can dredge up plenty of arguments for your position. I don't buy them. And, I stand by my joke.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 03:11 pm
Quote:
I take no offense at an artful barb, nor for that matter, a trite one like blatham's phallus related innuendo.

Yeah...guilty. I was hoping the misspelling of little would provide adequate cover for a sophoric cliche, but that was a meagre hope. Penance of some sort will follow.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 03:25 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
All politicians tell lies. In a system flawed the way it is, it's a matter of survival. That's a given. Bush, Cheney, Kerry - all of them. There are lies to get and hold power, which are an accepted part of the election process, like it or not. That's why I rarely listen to election speeches. THe lies of Cheney concerning questions mentioned above is a different sort and he should be held accountable. You think he may be telling it straight. Good for you. While I don't sit in Cheney's office to be sure he tends to business, in my read the circumstantial look of it would say he's a bleeping liar trying to pass the blame to subordinates. You have a good intellect and can dredge up plenty of arguments for your position. I don't buy them. And, I stand by my joke.

Not that it matters, since you are hell bent on assuming a position for me, but let me see if I can be even more clear:

I don't think he's telling it straight. I think he's shading the truth. And if he's not, he's still an arrogant fool for not creating an environment within his office wherein no hint of a conflict with Haliburton could arise.

He could, though, be telling the truth.

Stand tall for your joke edgar, it's sort of heroic in a quixotic way.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 05:21 pm
Assume whatever position makes you comfortable. I promise I won't look. I just see his actions a bit differently than you do and we will have to leave it at that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 06:25 pm
0 Replies