Shots Fired - Canadian Parliament In Lock Down

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 12:39 pm
@glitterbag,
In reality, it's a minor blip which Canada can easily cope with, without too much panic or lockdown.
The panic and publicity is exactly what these morons feed on, so the best thing that Canada can do in this instance is to get up and go to work as normal tomorrow, and don't give these bastards any bonus oxygen.

Their authorities will quietly get a grip on all this.

Keep calm amd carry on, eh?
Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 12:44 pm
@Lordyaswas,
This is precisely what Harper is saying--that the functions of government continue, and not allow this incident to shut down government.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 12:50 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I know Canada knows how to handle this, it just makes me sick that ISIS can attract so many young people to participate in these destructive acts that ultimately will fail to achieve the goal these nihilists hope to win. The Canadian Embassy in D.C. is now on lockdown, earlier today it was reported that three American female teenagers (one of Somali descent, two of Sudanese descent) were caught trying to fly to Turkey possibly to join ISIS.

Career wise I understand this threat as we had to deal with numerous threats worldwide, but as a human being I'm sickened.
Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 01:14 pm
The Globe and Mail reporter who obtained the video and audio (using his Blackberry) was interviewed by CBC. He stated that he saw a man stepping into an alcove. This was followed by what is commonly called "a hail of bullets," with one security agent being shot in the leg, and another thrown to the floor by a bullet which hit his pant leg but which did not wound him. At that point, the Sergeant at Arms, a 30+ year RCMP veteran, shot and killed the shooter.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 01:56 pm
@glitterbag,
In my reading about young people joining up, some portion are young men or young women alienated by their British or American or apparently now, Canadian societies (Quebec recently). They may have been non muslims who adopted radical islam as a group they feel kin to, part of, or may already be muslim and changed to radical (the girls in Colorado, say, if that is what happened).
ISIS may be in contact or not.

Not that I infer this is what happened in the Ottawa situation. Just that some alienated people can be attracted to this kind of thing. At first I was hoping this wasn't the deal in Ottawa, that it might be a recently fired construction worker onsite at the Centre - I think the first witness was a construction worker who saw a guy get out of the black car, and there is apparently work going on at the Centre. Or maybe nothing to do with radical political/religious anger, instead some other anti government reason. We don't know the age of the shooters or their reasons, or at least I don't yet.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 02:37 pm
@ossobuco,
There's always been disaffected young men, now those men can unite under a banner.

The solution is long and painstaking, and has to involve the Moslem community. Winning hearts and minds now begins at home. Disillusioned jihadis with first hand experience of the horror of radical Islam need to be given a voice, because they've got the best chance of being heard.

This is all Bush's legacy.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 02:40 pm
@izzythepush,
No argument from me on that. Although there were disaffected young before his appearance in our lives, there is sure a multiplicity of matters going on now that relates to our actions.
dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 03:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Wishing this is resolved quickly and safely. Thinking of you, cousins.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 03:07 pm
Just home from downtown. Police and security everywhere in downtown Toronto. Looks like they were already prepared to go - given how fast they were deployed after the first shots were fired. There have been new security signs up in the underground and subway for just about a week now - and what seems to always be Toronto's first response - removing garbage cans that can't be seen into.

Soldiers have been told not to appear in public in uniform.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 03:09 pm
@ehBeth,
Just about the first thing that crossed my mind was a neighbour who is active military serving at Fort York here. He has license plates that identify him as military. I hope that doesn't make him a target in the future. Life is complicated enough - don't want D to have to change the plates he is so proud of.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 03:29 pm
@ehBeth,
Was thinking about you during this, as I presume was Set. Glad you are home and have checked in.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 03:34 pm
I'm just amazed that a lone gunman was able to get into the parliament. I visited the House of Commons a few weeks ago to see one of our MPs. I went through about three levels of security, met by police with automatic weapons at every turn. I wouldn't have been able to get a penknife past them.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 10:58 pm
@izzythepush,
When I visited the Houses of Parliament in Ottawa six or seven years ago, the security did not seem all that impressive. I mean, it was normally adequate but not like you describe, izzy.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 11:23 pm
@glitterbag,
You sound so surprised.

Stop being self-righteous and look around you. Your own people are the problem. They cower in fear and expect some super hero to come and wash away the evil.

Every root of evil was created when the root of good got stuck beneath the surface!

Good men continuously try to clean your **** up, but you and your people continue to listen to the angels that speak in the devil's tongue, while hating on anyone that makes you look at your life in a shameful way.

This entire issue, after issue, after issue, is the product of people's cowardice. The king would not have taken the people's land, if the people fought together as one, instead of pissing around the corner, while one of their people spoke up while they had their heads down!

Drug Cartels.

Sex Rings

Terrorist Attacks

Abusive Parents

Are fueled by one thing. FEAR.

Kill the people's fear, and you'll see that there is a FUTURE, but until then, this is not a dream - this is a nightmare that is fueled by everyone's cowardice. If you want a dream, then start drawing the good out from the darkness, or suffer as the hypocrite that you are. I'm doing MY part. I am building an argument that risks me being assassinated. What are you doing behind that computer screen? Too busy playing the victim, when your do-nothing mindset is victimizing everyone else around you?
JTT

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 11:31 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
This is all Bush's legacy.

Earth to Izzy. I think you've forgotten the poodles.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 11:53 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Career wise I understand this threat as we had to deal with numerous threats worldwide,

Pure unadulterated bullshit. And y'all let her get away with these lies.

Quote:
but as a human being I'm sickened.

Yup, I can remember the numerous threads wherein you have wept inconsolably over the millions of USA slaughtered Iraqis, Afghans, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Koreans, ... .

I'm gonna go read me a few of those right this minute.

Can anyone tell me where one can buy an "Ottawa Strong" T-shirt?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 11:59 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Wishing this is resolved quickly and safely.

How is that possible, Wabbit, when you keep stroking these massive delusions?
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 12:05 am
@JTT,
I thought it would take something like this to wake the parasites from their slumbers.
Be a good boy and go f☆☆k yourself, jtit.

I shall now use the ignore button. A rare event, but you're worth it.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 12:10 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

When I visited the Houses of Parliament in Ottawa six or seven years ago, the security did not seem all that impressive. I mean, it was normally adequate but not like you describe, izzy.

I think Izzy was describing the security at Westminster, Andy, not Ottowa.
JTT

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 12:20 am
@Lordyaswas,
Enjoy your smelly little hole, lordy. You can always go bunk in with izzy when you need some lovin'.
0 Replies