Should I tell my friend?

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 02:53 pm
My friend is talking to a lot of different guys. The other day in class some boy told his friend
"You see that girl over there? She talk to mad guys every day. One period she is with the tall guy the next she is with her other guy.
It is sad, but true. We walk to class after gym together and she usually stops a lot to flirt with different guys and during gym she checks out and flirt with other guys also. Should I tell her that her name is going around negatively? We just met during the start of school. Is it my business or not? I'm so lost. Comment!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 1,682 • Replies: 41

View best answer, chosen by DashDynamic
PUNKEY

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 07:25 pm
You call it flirting, she calls it talking.

So what's the problem?

Some would call it being friendly.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 07:30 pm
@PUNKEY,
Someone might have a mother who is a rapscallion flirt.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 08:23 pm
@DashDynamic,
Frankly, mind your own business as a person's flirting is not an issue about reputation damage. Say nothing to her unless they are talking about her sleeping around.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 08:54 pm
@Ragman,
Ditto
0 Replies

Krrypton

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 11:42 pm
@DashDynamic,
talking and flirting are two very different things and i am confused which one you are
referring to.
Germlat

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 08:32 am
@Krrypton,
So what if she's flirting? It's not against the law is it. Boys will always talk. It's not like she's kissing them.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 08:34 am
@DashDynamic,
DashDynamic wrote:
Is it my business or not?

no

stay out of the gossip minefield
0 Replies

DashDynamic

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 03:46 pm
@DashDynamic,
For some reason I thought I put this but obviously not... SHE DOES HAVE A BOYFRIEND. She says "he is everything" and "he's bae" Once again SHE HAS A BOYFRIEND
DashDynamic

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 03:46 pm
@Krrypton,
She has a boyfriend and flirting.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 04:11 pm
@DashDynamic,
It is still none of your business, Dash!
glitterbag

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 07:07 pm
@DashDynamic,
Mind your own business Dash, you sound jealous and needy. There is no reason in the world for you to plant doubt in your friends mind, unless you wish her to be unhappy. Is that what you want, you want her to feel guilty?? Why? Don't you get enough attention?? I think you should take a long hard look at yourself and figure out why you want your friend to feel insecure. That's basically 'mean girl' behavior. She might be your friend, but you are not being hers, so keep your gossip to yourself. Shame on you.
DashDynamic

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 07:21 pm
@glitterbag,
First off, I'm not jealous. Second, I wasn't looking for info, I overheard it and I'm torn between minding my business or telling her. As a friend, I didn't know if it was right for me to let her name be used like that. AS A FRIEND, I didn't know if I was doing the right thing so I came here. I agree with minding my business, I knew that. I wanted to make sure and make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong AS A FRIEND.
DashDynamic

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 07:21 pm
@CalamityJane,
I agree. Thank you. I just didn't know what to do or if I was doing the right thing
0 Replies

DashDynamic

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 07:22 pm
@DashDynamic,
Thanks for commenting. I agree with minding my business. I don't have much friends since I'm so quiet I didn't know what to do. Nobody is jealous, as someone stated in the comments. Pretty funny but okay. Thanks again
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 07:23 pm
@DashDynamic,
DashDynamic wrote:
AS A FRIEND.

I think that, as a friend, it might have been nice of you to suggest that the other people stop gossiping about your friend.
DashDynamic

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 07:28 pm
@ehBeth,
You're right. I thought about that later. That is why I made sure to come on here and ask about it. Everybody knows how one little thing can turn to something big? It can be now that she just talks to guys, and a week later she can be"sleeping with other guys" I didn't know if that was the right thing by keeping quiet but I realize it is. I didn't want her to be surprised and get mad at me for knowing but not telling
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 08:51 pm
@DashDynamic,
DashDynamic wrote:

First off, I'm not jealous. Second, I wasn't looking for info, I overheard it and I'm torn between minding my business or telling her. As a friend, I didn't know if it was right for me to let her name be used like that. AS A FRIEND, I didn't know if I was doing the right thing so I came here. I agree with minding my business, I knew that. I wanted to make sure and make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong AS A FRIEND.

Let me reiterate, you are not BEING A FRIEND, if you were a friend you would tell the gossips that they are barking up the wrong tree. I still think there is a part of you that would enjoy telling the girl who thinks you are a friend, that others are gossiping about her. Now is the time for you to develop a backbone and confront those who deal in idle gossip. It can be as simple as saying, " you don't know her very well, do you". Let me remind you that you are very young and life will present you with more difficult challenges. I would be good to learn now, how to avoid getting sucked into an unhealthy habit of not challenging the reputation destroyers. Do it, or risk being the one they start maligning next.
DashDynamic

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 02:40 am
@glitterbag,
You're right. I should've said something. That's why I made sure to come here and see if I was doing the right thing AS A FRIEND. You have every right to think what you want. I really don't care. I thought about saying something after the situation, so I stopped beating myself up about it and this idea came up. When I heard that from the guy, I wasn't being a friend , but AS A FRIEND, I made sure that I won't let that happen again. Don't sit here and act like you've always did the right thing at the right time, at the right place. It is human. I messed up by not saying anything. Simple. There's a difference between being a friend, and not doing something a friend should do. I didn't do something a friend should do but as I stated before, AS A FRIEND, I'm gonna make that right
glitterbag
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 11:57 am
@DashDynamic,
Get off your high horse, you asked for advice and you got it. I'm not the only one who told you that you were off base. Apparently you are not as shy as you claim to be. Now if you just use some of the courage you used to smart mouth me when you see or hear something offensive maybe then you will have a stronger commitment to refusing to cave to fictitious gossip. Apparently you are in high school or middle school. You need to become your own person now or you will still be waffling when you're thirty. I understand it's a little scary to challenge gossips, however if you would rather not be controlled by other peoples petty remarks, learn how to say "that's not true". It gets easier the more you do it.

Nice touch with the all caps AS A FRIEND handle. I sincerely hope you don't think you are intimidating. Don't ask for advice if you don't want to hear it. Passive aggressive won't make you a better person, just figure out how honorable you want to be, and then be that person.