When you're down, what music lifts you back up?

snood

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 08:26 am
In The Stone - Earth, Wind and Fire
0 Replies

apoeticinjustice

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 10:12 pm
Steve Earle, Robert Earl Keen, CCR, Blue Rodeo
0 Replies

moxiac

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 08:13 am
Mama I'm coming home- Ozzy osbourne
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:11 am
I wish Blue Rodeo was more known in the States.
0 Replies

apoeticinjustice

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:34 am
Blue Rodeo is a fantastic band. Spread the word!! lol
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 04:28 am
A russian band called 'Diskoteka Avariya' and the music by Swedish singer E-type.

No very decent lyrics but the music just makes the dancer in me get up, grab the nearest person and grind away. Very Happy
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 11:31 am
Marley, you can't feel bad when Marley is playing.
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 04:40 am
Bands like Rammstein, slipknot, cradle of filth make me feel like a new man. Very Happy
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 10:45 am
I'm not down from the London Calling album by The Clash! Very Happy

I've been shown up
But I've grown up
And I'm not down
I'm not down
0 Replies

apoeticinjustice

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 09:42 am
good choice Tino
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 10:58 am
Why, thankyou.

Another one that has real feelgood factor for me is Bob Marley's "Is this love?". From the moment he breaks in with "I wanna love you and treat you right" it cheers me up. Smile Smile
0 Replies

apoeticinjustice

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 12:23 pm
anything by Great Big Sea

This Maritimes celtic rock band plays with as much exuberance and energy as any band I've seen. Alot of fun to listen to.
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 01:32 pm
Yes, it is quite a rare thing, finding a band or artist that sound like they are actually enjoying the recording process. Suppose they have mostly rehearsed and polished the songs to death by the time the production team is satisfied. Only audiences can then breathe new life into the songs. I'm sure I have read quotes of this nature by musicians but I can't remember any names.

I have a live cd by The Beat (known as The English Beat in America) that is exactly how you describe, energy and exuberance abound, the band just sound like they are having a bloody good time. Good vibes between artists and audience. Smile Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 04:33 pm
You can quote me. I worked on a recording as an arranger once. And after a month of hearing it 100 times a day...I hated the song
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:00 am
Whenever I discuss "overproduced" records i always think of Stevie Wonder's "Songs in the key of life". I seem to remember a cartoonjoke on the inner sleeve featuring skeletons at a mixing desk saying "Should we mix "Contusion" one more time?" [though i may be mixing my inner-sleeves up here}.

Mind you, you can encounter the same staleness with bands at the end of a long tour or in live bands that plainly are not enjoying themselves anymore. Smile
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 03:32 pm
edit
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 03:42 pm
Jackson Browne "Stay"
0 Replies

Steelborn

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 05:59 pm
Anything by Led Zepp is usually good enough to make me feel good!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 10:10 pm
Can I tell a little story?
Some of you know that one of my brothers passed away last September. I'm close to both of my brothers but this brother played a major part in shaping my ideas, my opinions and preferences for all things entertainment and much of it, for me, is tied to him. Music, movies, fashion, etc. Since his passing, listening to music, which I do everyday, has become a major challenge for me. So much reminds me of him. I still avoiding alot of things and if I'm listening to the radio, I keep the remote closeby just in case they slip one in that I can't bear at the moment. Temptations? Some cuts are too painful but for the most part, I can take them. The Stones I haven't listened to since the week after his funeral. Can't handle them at all. They were his favorite. The Beatles? Again, it depends on the cut but I'm better with the later stuff. I found Isaac Hayes' double album "Black Moses" on cd a few months ago, played it once and it took me two days to get over it. So much of the music that I love is tied to my brother and I just can't listen to it yet so it was foolish to think that I could slip Prince in tonight. I sang "Purple Rain" to him just hours before he died so, Prince was not a good choice tonight. I cried like a baby.

Somebody mentioned James Brown a few pages back. I put on James Brown after Prince and, just like that, I was dancing. Just like that. Snap.

The Godfather. You can always count on James Brown, when you're feeling real, real down, to bring you back up.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 08:46 am
sweet
0 Replies