When you're down, what music lifts you back up?

panzade

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 09:47 pm
Don't know why I'm still afraid
If you weren't real I would make you up
now
I wish that I could follow through
I know that your love is true
And deep
As the sea
But right now
Everything you want is wrong,
And right now
All your dreams are waking up,
And right now
I wish I could follow you
To the shores
Of freedom,
Where no one lives.

I've seen you write stuff better than this...lol
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 09:53 pm
Hehe...I like the lyrics...they kind of remind me of how I feel alot! You're funny Panzade!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 09:57 pm
I've been listening to Green Day's "American Idiot" a lot lately and its very uplifting.

Talking Head - Little Creatures

Elvis Costello - My Aim is True

Frank Zappa - Strictly Commercial or Apostrophe

Simply Red - Picture Book

Lounge Against the Machine

Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, The Ramones, Joe Jackson, Garbage, Pink Martini, Nirvana...

And who said London Calling? The absolute best turn it up and dance around album ever!

So many bad moods, so much good music.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 03:10 am
I love Billie Holliday blues - but absolutely NOT when i have the blues myself - can't take that degree of sadness then.

Sometimes I need things to blast out - like Queen, sometimes stuff like Carly Simon, Sting. Beatles. Suzanne Vega and other times stuff like Rodrigues Concerto di Aranjuez or the Carmina Burana (playing the Concerto right now). Then I love Antonio Carolos Jobim and Astrud Gilberto - gorgeous liquid music. Old stuff like Peggy Lee's Black Coffee.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 05:58 am
Good stuff Vivien...I wish Vega would double her output.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 06:10 am
Just for pure 'pick-me-up' material, I've been digging Prince's Musicology. For rocking, still The Darkness and defunct Vancouver band Slow.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 02:28 pm
Almost anything ska lifts me back up... maybe it's the side effect of hearing so many 'pick it ups'

I try to hear stupid and funny stuff to aliviate the tension that I created or put something danceable. Ska usually covers both ends.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 02:33 pm
something joyous about the "bubble-up" beat
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:06 am
These songs lift me up when I'm down and keep me up when I'm there:

Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morrissette
The Cure - Mint Car, Friday I'm in Love, Close to you
Phil Collins - Old stuff, my dad used to play when I was little
Abba - Does your mother know
Crystal Gayle
Ash - 1977 Album
REM
Ocean Colour Scene

And many many more! lol
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:11 am
When I'm very down, I find it useful to play really, really wretched, miserable music .... like Leonard Cohen, say .... something that makes me realize that that things could be worse! :wink:
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:11 am
OOh, forgot Dutch band Anouk. They're brilliant!
0 Replies

ReiKi

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 07:21 pm
I love songs that begin with quiet, hypnotic arrangements that suddenly explode with furious intensity.

The Lateralus album by none other than the greatest conceptual artistic band in existence, TOOL builds to an aggressive peak before descending into a brooding miasma of the second half.. On this album they have found a balance between word and sound. The music really inspires me to open my eyes and step out of my box. The concepts are unique, and their sound is so spiritual, it touches my soul..and Maynard's lyrics give me chills.

As artists they have pushed all of our boundaries of reality. TOOL is the only band where i love all their songs, but my personal favs include, reflection, lateralus, disposition, the patient, and the parabol/parabola transistion.. Ok i'll stop now Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 07:26 pm
Ah Rei + Ki...are you familiar with Godspeed you Black Emperor? Yes, a couple of friends of mine are involved in the band, but they rock. Sadly, the tracks are too large to send via e-mail. Where are you panzade...get MSN Messenger already...Smile
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:21 pm
Led Zepplin lifts my spirits.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:23 pm
How high? Where to? :wink:
0 Replies

ReiKi

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:26 pm
Hello again, cav Smile

unfortunately i haven't heard of those guys.. I'd love tocheck them out. Do they have a website?

And yes.. Led Zepp are another of my all time fav bands. So many classic.. Ten Years Gone, Immigrant Song, No Quarter, Kasmir.. Ahh..doesn't get anybetter than that.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:26 pm
Good questions, msolga. Damn good.

I am not at liberty to discuss the height and location at the present time however.
0 Replies

holpar3

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 12:34 am
The Middle- Jimmy Eat World

anything by They Might be Giants
Ska and Swing mostly Reel Big Fish
and club/house/techno
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 04:56 am
I've said it before and I'll say it again: James Brown, James Brown, James Brown...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 06:56 am
~Rei+Ki ~ wrote:
Hello again, cav Smile

unfortunately i haven't heard of those guys.. I'd love tocheck them out. Do they have a website?

And yes.. Led Zepp are another of my all time fav bands. So many classic.. Ten Years Gone, Immigrant Song, No Quarter, Kasmir.. Ahh..doesn't get anybetter than that.

Yes, there is a website here: http://www.brainwashed.com/godspeed/ but the sound samples don't do the tracks justice, as most are 15-20 minutes long. If you want, I can add you to my MSN contacts and send a full track to you. I rarely use Messenger, except for large file transfers.
0 Replies