At what point does pride become a bad thing?

pueo

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 07:08 pm
people sometimes tell me that i'm too proud to admit i've made a mistake. i don't think i'm too proud, just confident in my abilities.

and for the record. i'm always right, sometimes not as right as others, but i am never wrong! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 07:13 pm
I think that the word "pride" has been given a bad rap by many religions. IMO, there is nothing wrong in feeling proud of your achievements, your accomplishments, your efforts.

The problem is when that pride is second hand. To me there is no glory in crowing that you went to school with a celebrity, shook hands with a senator, or even had the best looking, and smartest kid in school.

I think that the most prideful thing that a person can do is to admit when he makes a mistake, without embarrassment. To me that shows that he values himself, and one of the most important values in his life, truthfulness and honesty.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 07:14 pm
Hmmmm... all good food for thought (all except maybe the spleen thing...).
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 09:25 pm
Maybe pride is destructive when it perverts your reality?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 09:32 pm
maybe not my own reality, but my sense of reality as it exists for the majority of the people. Is there such a reality as the later?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 09:40 pm
Even though I don't practise it anymore, I'm still a Catholic girl at heart when it comes to pride.

Don't mention it, don't point it out.....But I can't help when something good I've done is noticed.....

I agree with Phoenix on the religious aspect. Pride and showing off are two different things.....
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 09:43 pm
I was thinking about how an external trait or source can pervert one's pride. Beauty, as an example.
Say that a beautiful person is told all their life how beautiful they are. Other positive traits are not mentioned. The person goes on through life placing more and more value on their appearance...

Of course, through time, or accident, this is taken from them.

They have centered their pride on their looks. Their self-esteem is based on it. They've looked down on others who didn't have it.

What are they left with when they have lost what their pride has been based on?

Money is another external, false source of personal pride, which perverts someone's reality of value of themselves and others, IMO.

You can be rich or beautiful, without developing a pride about it, because these things can pass away. If ownership of these or other false senses of pride are perverted in someone's mind, it can color their reality.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 09:48 pm
Good points, LG.

One of the reasons my self-esteem has always been so low has to do with what you've mentioned.

Now, I don't really care what anyone's opinion is of me ~ on simply what I look like. I'm happy with myself and no one can take that away from me.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 09:51 pm
Excellent points Lash! It works the other way too. I have always had difficulty hearing. I always just barely passed the hearing tests in school. I always thought I was slow/dim-witted/dumb because I couldn't follow along in my classes. It wasn't until I reached my 30s that I realized I wasn't those things (well, sometimes...) and I graciously thank online forums for that insight.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 09:55 pm
Rae--
I have seen you, and I'm not talking about the avatar.

You are truly a beautiful person.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 09:58 pm
What a fascinating discussion - though difficult to have very clearly when there are several different definitions of pride and we have not decided which of these we are discussing - here is some of what the Macquarie Dictionary has to say:

1. High or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind, or displayed in bearing, conduct etc.

3. Becoming or dignified sense of what is due to oneself or one's position or character; self-respect, self-esteem.

4. Pleasure or satisfaction taken in something achieved by or belonging to oneself.

6. The best or most admired part of something eg "She was the pride of the family."

7. The most flourishing state or period.

8. Mettle in a horse. (I just liked that one - but I think it also applies to people!)

You know, it was good to find this discussion because I have been thinking all morning about honour, as I was asked recently to say what are important qualities that I aspire to myself and like in others, and honour was right up there, though it is not often mentioned these days, I think, in Anglo societies (I think it has a different nuance of meaning in cultures like Islam and so forth, where I think it is more an external thing for a family, than an internal thing - we ARE very internalizing cultures... but digress...) - and I was considering honour as related to the second definition I gave of pride - goddess, I am babbling - maybe a seven life-enhancing virtues thread would be interesting...?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 10:03 pm
That's very helpful, dlowan! I'm guilty of #s 1and 3 - what happened to #2?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 10:05 pm
Thank you, LG. Embarrassed
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 10:08 pm
You know, lil 'k, I believe you have a lot of the second one!!!! You just are not noticing it as much as the others....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 10:09 pm
deb, there is no #2, which are you refering to?
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 10:12 pm
I don't see a #2.

I think, for purposes of this conversation, we are focusing on #1. It says, When does Pride Become a Problem...

I don't think that good feeling at a job well done poses a problem. I think the overinflation of worth is where things get screwy.

My opinion....
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 10:13 pm
A good opinion, in my eyes.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 10:16 pm
Yep, I'd focus on #1. But, I do have a bit of a problem with #3. I have a very ingrained sense of right and wrong and it can make me less than accepting of asses....hahahaha

Hmmm, maybe that'd fall into #1 anyway.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 10:19 pm
Oh dear - I edited out a couple of sub-definitions - would it be easier if I went back and just made it 1, 2, 3, 4?

I meant I bet you have a lot of 3 as set out above - which is the second one mentioned!!!!

Lash - I think there are times when others around us label 3 as 1 because of things within themselves. I do not know what Little k's friend was thinking of - nor, I think, does 'k, really.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 10:20 pm
#3---
"of what is due to oneself"

I see what you are saying. I hadn't read that one as carefully as I should have.

Don't think position or any external should afford anyone better treatment than another..
I would never courtsey to a queen or kiss a Pope's ring.
0 Replies