Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 10:43 pm
[And now I'm away .... bringing the Froggies on the right way :wink: ]
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 12:36 am
Wilso wrote:
Thomas wrote:
A free labor market does an adequate job at creating reasonable working conditions and wages, thank you very much.

Tell that to the children slaving in Asian sweatshops. I just can't believe the level of naivety/stupidity that I see on this site at times.

No problem at all, because if these sweatshops weren't there, these children would be slaving on farms, in prostitution, and in other professions which are much worse than sweatshop labor. You see, misery was not recently introduced to East Asia for the benefit of multinational corporations. It has been existing there forever, and the contribution of global capitalism is to make things better -- though maybe not good enough for you. By contrast, labor unions played a minor role in raising Taiwanese wages from third world levels to first world levels. The same is true for Hong Kong, Singapoore, South Korea, and most other Asian countries where wages increased dramatically over the last few decades. You may well find it worthwile to check the facts before accusing your opponents of stupidity and naivite.

If you're interested, Paul Krugman, an economist with fairly good liberal credentials, gives you an entry point to what the real effect of sweatshops is in the following New York Times article, of which I quote the relevant excerpt.

In the New York Times of April 22, 2001, Paul Krugman wrote:

You can read the full article here. For really extensive data material, the Foreign Labor Statistics homepage at the American Bureau of Labor Statistics
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:08 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, Thomas, while you are more on the employers site, I'm by profession, character, conviction and by what I know from my own and human history ... on the other :wink:

No, it's not about taking sides. The issue is that you and I disagree about the actual effect unions have historically had on wages and working conditions. That's a disagreement on facts, not ideology.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:55 am
Thomas wrote:
Wilso wrote:
Thomas wrote:
A free labor market does an adequate job at creating reasonable working conditions and wages, thank you very much.

Tell that to the children slaving in Asian sweatshops. I just can't believe the level of naivety/stupidity that I see on this site at times.

No problem at all, because if these sweatshops weren't there, these children would be slaving on farms, in prostitution, and in other professions which are much worse than sweatshop labor.

I've heard this outrageous justification for this crap before, and it disgusts me too much for words.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 02:47 am
Wilso wrote:
I've heard this outrageous justification for this crap before, and it disgusts me too much for words.

Or in other words, you have no arguments to back up that my position is wrong, and that I am naive and stupid -- which was your original claim against me. So you resort to rhetoric of outrage and disgust instead.

I have seen this behavior on your part before too.
0 Replies