what is the problem?

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 06:37 am
I'm japananese woman who's been
studying english for a long time.

One day, I was with a foreign friend and we passed by in front of the hospital which was obstetrics and gynecology.
and there was a sighboard that says, "We love egg"which was kind of tag line of that hospital.
my foreign friend said this was so strange.

I guess "egg"means a baby who's gonna be born in this world soon.
what is strange in this sentence?

sorry if you don't understand what I wanna ask because of my poor english.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 2,077 • Replies: 26
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 07:16 am
@Norikosandesu,
WELCOME to the forum!

I believe that your analysis was accurate.

David
chai2

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 07:19 am
@Norikosandesu,
It's an egg pre-fertilization. Females have eggs, men have sperm.

The the sperm enters the egg, and it becomes an embyro, then a fetus.

Norikosandesu

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 07:37 am
@OmSigDAVID,
thank you so much!
0 Replies

Norikosandesu

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 07:37 am
@chai2,
thank you so much for the explanation!
0 Replies

Bazza6

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 10:09 am
@Norikosandesu,
"...a baby who's gonna be born...what I wanna ask …"

If you want to have good English, don't use 'wanna' and 'gonna'.
chai2

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 10:23 am
@Bazza6,
gonna is fine if you're speaking casually, as in this thread.

as a native english speaker I can attest to that.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 11:11 am
Sure it wasn't EEG?

An E E G is a medical procedure.

An electroencephalogram (EEG) is a test used to detect abnormalities related to electrical activity of the brain. This procedure tracks and records brain wave patterns. Small metal discs with thin wires (electrodes) are placed on the scalp, and then send signals to a computer to record the results.
contrex

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 11:33 am
Egg is the generic word for eggs considered as food - I like egg and tomato sandwiches, I don't eat food containing egg, there is egg on my shirt, during World War 2 we ate powdered dried egg. Also possibly the person who wrote the notice was not a native English speaker.

There are generic words for some types of food - e.g. egg, meat, fish, fruit, game, poultry, which are non-countable.

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 12:13 pm
In North American usage, in many, although not all, of the examples Contrex has given, the native speaker would say eggs. "I like eggs for breakfast>" "I don't eat food containing eggs." "My mother told me that in the Army in World War Two, they only got powdered eggs." Of course, here we would say "I've gotten egg on my shirt." "I like egg and tomato sandwiches." This is a stylistic difference, and neither usage can be said to be wrong.
chai2

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 02:17 pm
This was at a hospital for obstetrics and gynecology.

Why would they be talking about eggs as a food?

In addition, I can't see why they would be paying particular attention to EEG's there.

contrex

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 03:49 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
This is a stylistic difference, and neither usage can be said to be wrong.

Indeed.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 03:53 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
This was at a hospital for obstetrics and gynecology.

Why would they be talking about eggs as a food?

In addition, I can't see why they would be paying particular attention to EEG's there.

As given by the OP, they were talking about 'egg'. "I like egg" (with no 's') can only correctly refer to the contents of birds eggs, usually as food, if written by a native speaker, unless it is some kind of locally used initialism or abbreviation for something.
0 Replies

Norikosandesu

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 01:35 am
@Bazza6,
OK, I try not to use those words. thank you.
0 Replies

Norikosandesu

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 01:38 am
@PUNKEY,
It was surely EGG.

0 Replies

Norikosandesu

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 01:40 am
@contrex,
Thank you for the explanation.
0 Replies

Norikosandesu

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 01:43 am
@Setanta,
Distinction between countable words and non-countable words is so difficult for Japanese speaker.
Because in our language, we don't have that.

I try my best, anyway.
Ragman

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 06:37 am
@Norikosandesu,
What hasn't been mentioned so far somehow is the ironic humor associated with that sign in front of a hospital ward specializing in Obstetrics. There seems to be a deliberate intent to blur the distinction between egg as a food and the ova from a human female.

When you understand such humor subtleties, it is mildly funny. Admittedly western (American and English) humor is sort of lost where there's someone who might struggle with the language, not to mention the cultural differences in humor.

There is a certain looseness of the author of the sign where they chose to use the Egg but are using it a collective noun. That would be using poetic license. Often with humor, it can stray out of the boundary of 'proper' grammar.

Clearly they didn't mean EEG (nor was it typed as EEG), the diagnostic test electro-encephalogram, which would be EEG not EGG.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 12:19 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:
Sure it wasn't EEG?

An E E G is a medical procedure.

An electroencephalogram (EEG) is a test used to detect abnormalities related to electrical activity of the brain. This procedure tracks and records brain wave patterns. Small metal discs with thin wires (electrodes) are placed on the scalp, and then send signals to a computer to record the results.
Is it true that the more advanced machines
sent current back along the electrodes to re-configure the brain ?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 06:15 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

What hasn't been mentioned so far somehow is the ironic humor associated with that sign in front of a hospital ward specializing in Obstetrics. There seems to be a deliberate intent to blur the distinction between egg as a food and the ova from a human female.

Sure it's been talked about....twice by me.

I told the OP the meaning of the word egg in this context, and I later asked why they would have a slogan about EEG machines at a maternity hopital, and talking about eggs as food.

It's been clear to me from the start they were being clever saying they love eggs, because fertilized eggs are where babies come from.