Worthless School Administrators

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 12:00 pm
Student Whose Hair Set Afire Told To Stay Home

DENVER -- A 13-year-old Denver girl said she was threatened with a knife at her middle school and her hair was set on fire, yet she was the one who was told to stay home for the remainder of the school year while her alleged attacker wasn't suspended or even investigated.

Courtney Glowczewski has a small right arm and leg because of cerebral palsy, a disability that her teachers say has not kept her from working hard in school and being a good student.

"I do really good in my classes. My teachers tell me, 'Good job,' and, 'You're doing very good,' and 'Excellent girl,'" said Glowczewski.

But her physical appearance has made her a target of taunting and of physical attack, which she said has never been addressed by the administration at Martin Luther King Middle School. Last week, she said the bullying got worse when she said she was threatened and assaulted by a seventh grade boy.

"He pulled out a knife, a silver knife, a pocket knife, and then he said 'What!?' So I was scared and didn't know what to do," said Glowczewski.

As she walked to her seat she smelled smoke and one of her classmates was patting her hard on the back.

"I looked and there was a black spot on the back of my shirt. And then I saw some black hair falling from my hair," said Glowczewski.

Her hair was on fire and the other student said that she was trying to help put it out.

Her mother, Sherrie, was called to school when her daughter reported the incident to the assistant principal. Sherrie Glowczewski was outraged when she was told by the administration at Martin Luther King that her daughter didn't need to come back and not to worry about the tests.

"I just wanted to go to a school that doesn't make fun of me. I wanted to be treated with respect," Glowczewski said, crying.

Meanwhile, her mother has made repeated phone calls to the assistant principal.

"I have no idea what they've done. That's why I want to speak to her. I want to know what happened to (the bullying suspect) and what's going on in that school," said Sherrie Glowczewski.

7NEWS discovered that while Glowczewski was sent home, her alleged attacker is still in school, even though administrators confirmed he had a knife.

The principal has now admitted her staff did not call police, did not interview potential witnesses, and did not conduct a proper investigation.

"He shouldn't come back in school. I should be in school taking my education and it's not fair," said Glowczewski.

The interim principal at Martin Luther King Middle School declined an on-camera interview, but said her staff made serious mistakes in this case and that she will offer Glowczewski and her family a summer school program and transportation.

Meanwhile, both Mark Stevens, the spokesman for Denver Public Schools, and the superintendent declined to discuss the case or DPS policy for dealing with such issues. That seems to be the same response Glowczewski's parents got when they complained to the administration.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,184 • Replies: 68
No top replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 12:39 pm
McG,

You know I am a fan of yours, but I think the title should be something like :

Screwed up, underfunded school system at work.

or

Worthless School Administrators unresponsive to parents concern about attack

I don't see this and a Liberal/Conservative issue ... except that both sides of the aisle should be horrified.

I think Dr. King would be rolling in his grave to know that this was happening in a school named after him. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 12:43 pm
Yeah, yeah... I couldn't help myself...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 12:48 pm
I don't know exactly, how schools are organized in Denver or Denver County and which party is leading their what local government, but McGentrix certainly will have sources for the headline of this thread.

Btw: obviously he forgot to copy/paste the later news:

Quote:
DENVER -- A day after 7NEWS reported that a 13-year-old middle school student with cerebral palsy was bullied to the point of having her hair set on fire and who was suspended, while her attacker remained in school, the Denver Public School System has taken action.

On Tuesday, 7NEWS reported that Courtney Glowczewski (pictured, left) was sent home after the attack and told not to bother about taking final exams, while the classmate accused in the incident was not disciplined.

The interim principal admitted her staff did not call police, did not interview potential witnesses, and did not conduct a proper investigation, 7NEWS reported.

Wednesday night, DPS spokesman Mark Stevens said the alleged attacker was disciplined, and the district has apologized for the incident -- admitting that administrators at the school didn't handle the incident properly.

"There were serious lapses in our processes and our standards," said Stevens. "Victims of harassment and bullying need support and outreach and our full attention."

Stevens did not say what discipline was handed out to the student who is also accused of threatening the girl with a plastic knife prior to setting her hair on fire.

Stevens also said the interim principal who sent Glowczewski home and failed to discipline the alleged attacker will be replaced. He also said the Glowczewski family will be offered counseling.

Courtney's mother said the hair incident was just the latest in a two-year series of taunts and bullying at the middle school.

"She's bullied all the time, because her right arm is smaller than her left because of cerebral palsy. Her jaw is protruding and it comes out further on the bottom and they called her 'grandma' one day for that," said Sherrie Glowczewski.

"The fact that an incident report was not filed in this case is serious," said 7NEWS Investigates reporter John Ferrugia, the reporter who broke the story. "Those reports are part of the annual school accountability required by law and they directly affect a school's rating and, in part, its funding."

According to statistics, Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School had the most fights of any school in the state. Sherrie Glowczewski attributes that in part to the bullying climate that pervades the school, a point disputed by Stevens.

"I just wanted to go to a school that didn't make fun of me," said Courtney. "I just wanted to be treated with respect."

source: School Disciplines Student Accused In Attack
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 02:51 pm
This doesn't surprise me at all. I was a victim of bullies in school and I was offered no protection at all from the school staff. I use to go see my vice principal who said " Do you expect me to follow you around school all day?". I was attacked on my way to school, on my way home from school, in the school halls, girls room, etc... I reported this to teachers and principal, but they did absolutely nothing. I eventually quit school when I was 15 since I couldn't take it anymore. I then started lifting weights and at 16 I tracked down all the bullies and confronted them and to my surprise, none of them had the balls to stand up to me. They never bothered me again, but by then it was too little, too late.
The bullies are the ones who govern the schools and no one does anything to protect their victims. Those little abusive pieces of **** need to be thrown out of school and into some kind of bootcamp if you ask me!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 02:57 pm
Read this (happened in a very conservative town, btw):Schoolboy's torture horror story shocks Germany
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 03:03 pm
That is so sad. The poor kids that go through this just turns my stomache!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 03:28 pm
I've actually dug up a photo of Montana, at 16, confronting one of her bullies:

http://www.catfight.com/mmv/mm426.jpg
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 03:38 pm
I hate bullies, my little sister was bullied in her school and I did what I could... (though its frown upon for someone to hammer into the dirt bullies who are 5 years younger than you)

During High School though, I wrestled, played football and hockey so I was rarely messed with. I was walking down the hall heading to class when I saw some 'burnouts' (you figure out which clique this was) messing with a kid from the band (My best friend was a self proclaimed 'band geek' but I didn't know THIS particular kid) I came up to the biggest of the bullies (he was about 6 inches taller than me) and said "Why are you messing with my friend?" ... he mumbled something at which point I backed him into a corner and said "If I EVER catch you or any of your buddies messing with any of my friends, I'm coming for you."

I then informed him and his little group that they wouldn't know exactly WHO were my friends until I came for them. I told them to just leave people alone.

The leader (still in the corner with me aka. 'The Tree Stump' in his way) got such a sneer on his face that I just had to make him understand.

I told him I benched 280 lbs, could leg press 700lbs and ate pain like candy so the only way he was getting out of that corner was unconscious or if he cried for me in front of his girlfriend. I just stared into his eyes with the smile I reserved for the football field and the wrestling mat.

I ALMOST had him crying but he tried to push me out of the way (with tears glistening in his eyes) and I was forced to 'vigorously defend myself'.

After I made his friends help him up, I turned to the unknown band kid and told him that if they ever bothered him again, to come find me.

They left him alone for the next 3 years ... he a still a good friend now.

The 'burnout' leader pumps gas for a living so I'm told by friends who still live there. (The is some justice in the world)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 06:26 pm
LOL Slappy. Nice pic, but I wasn't quite that pumped ;-)

Great story Fedral and good for you. I admire what you did.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 06:35 pm
I wonder if Fedral could take Montana. She looks like she can bench around 400.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 07:14 pm
Montana wrote:
This doesn't surprise me at all. I was a victim of bullies in school and I was offered no protection at all from the school staff. I use to go see my vice principal who said " Do you expect me to follow you around school all day?". I was attacked on my way to school, on my way home from school, in the school halls, girls room, etc... I reported this to teachers and principal, but they did absolutely nothing. I eventually quit school when I was 15 since I couldn't take it anymore. I then started lifting weights and at 16 I tracked down all the bullies and confronted them and to my surprise, none of them had the balls to stand up to me. They never bothered me again, but by then it was too little, too late.
The bullies are the ones who govern the schools and no one does anything to protect their victims. Those little abusive pieces of **** need to be thrown out of school and into some kind of bootcamp if you ask me!

Just let their victims beat the hell out of them a few times. They'll learn fast.

The current policy is a bad joke. My (much) younger brother is in high school, & is very small for his age (5'2", about 140lbs at 17). He also doesn't take ANY crap from bullies--after he dented a locker with a senior's head last year, they leave him alone. BUT, the school suspended him for it: for TWO WEEKS, which made him fail a class. He would have gotten LESS time for bringing a knife to class.

My wife had a similar reaction to bullies: she put no less than three of them (all boys, all older, none with less than 4" and 50lbs on her) in the hospital in high school. By the third one (steel-toe boot in the crotch of the captain of the football team hard enough that he went straight up a good 4 inches), they got the hint: when she fights, her goal is to do severe, permanent damage as painfully as possible. I should probably mention her lifelong study of martial arts (since age 7).
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 07:22 pm
I was a bully in high school. I regret it now. It's too bad thatyou can't realize what you are at the time. I reinforce the idea in my children that being a bully is wrong, but being a victim is also wrong. There comes a time when you need to stick up for yourself, but not at the expense of putting someone smaller down.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 07:31 pm
That's why I always taught my son to stand up for himself in school and he's never had a problem. He was suspended a few times, but that's ok.

He also stands up for the underdog :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 07:35 pm
McGentrix
How can you say that being a victim is wrong. It's not like one single person has a whole lot of options when it's a gang that's got you cornered. The victim doesn't ask to be a victim, so it's not a choice. The bully isn't forced to be a bully, which is a choice.

I would have kicked your ass!
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 07:44 pm
And probably gotten 2 weeks suspension, and maybe gotten arrested.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 07:46 pm
It would have been worth it ;-)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 06:18 am
I was a starting defensive end for my football team (I had 800+ in my graduating class). I weighed 250 and benched 340. I doubt you would have kicked my ass. I will assume you were just making a joke... :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 06:25 am
I made friends with bullies, and was protected. I was also small in junior high school. It's amazing how far a good sense of humour and a good intuition for people's personalities goes. By the time I made it to high school, I already had my own clique.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 06:45 am
Again, all these pictures keep coming out of the woodwork. Here's Cav in high school with his wicked cool "clique."

http://www.wbca.info/images/chessteam03.jpg
0 Replies