When You Cannot Sleep What Do You Do?

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:44 pm
TV that is a good one. I finally caught a 3 hour nap this afternoon and feel that I will be able to sleep tonight.

Now I just have to stay awake along enough to go to bed at reasonable time as I have to get up early tomorrow.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 06:43 pm
joanne, have you tryed melatonin? you can get it at the health food store. i have a friend who swears by it.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 07:53 pm
I turn on the TV, really low. I choose some old movie or program I'm not interested in. Like pro fishing or reruns of our state legislature in session. And I let the droning work its magic. Basically, you could say, I bore myself to sleep. A glass of milk helps, too.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 08:13 pm
I've had bouts of severe insomnia. Once I didn't sleep for four days. On the fifth, I attempted suicide.

Now I'm on paxil and I sleep maybe 10 hrs a day. Can't get much done, but it is preferable to the insomnia.

One non-drug solution that does help is exercise, about 4 hrs prior to your anticipated bed time.

And eating turkey.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 08:22 pm
Joanne

As I mentioned on another insomnia thread, I've discovered a surprise remedy: Talking books! Surprised I recently got into the habit of putting on a talking book when I hopped into the bed & turned off the lights, with every intention of listening ... But 9 times out of 10 I'd be fast asleep asleep before the first side finished, certainly by the 2nd side! Would you believe that last night I fell asleep during The Life & Loves of a She-devil? Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 08:23 pm
I'll have to give that pre-dream a shot. Naturally, I won't know if it works. I am not one of those people who remember dreams - usually.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 08:24 pm
I used to like hot milk, no kidding, as a soporific. Won't work if you are completey wired up though.
I try to not get all energized in late evening, since I do have to show up at work five days a week. Long phone calls from family going on about things you can do nothing about don't exactly help, at, say, ten at night.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 08:39 pm
Wow all good suggestions. I like the turkey bit I have always said that next to the Thanks Giving table there should be cots for a nap.

Gala what is melatonin? I have never tried herbs.

Msolga talking books sound great too. I often fall asleep listening to BBC on the radio. And I love a good story.

Osso I am on the way to warm up some mile right now.

You guys are the best.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 08:39 pm
I have a chronic condition, which prevents REM sleep.

Sometimes, I just get up and clean the house. When my body is too tired for activity, but my brain won't turn off--I practice peaceful imagery/ meditation.

Sometimes, I sleep somewhere different--on the couch--with my head at the foot of the bed... the guest room. I create a cave of pillows, turn a fan on me, try to enhance my comfort.

If I'm desperate for sleep, I'll take an old prescription for pain or a muscle relaxer. This is rare and I don't recommend it. Wine no longer helps me sleep.

Mostly, I just lie there, wishing I could sleep. I do get snippets of light sleep, but I wake up at the tiniest noises six to eight times a night.

<Cue violins>
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 08:47 pm
Can you become dependant on Tylenol PM? I think I may try it. I'm just afraid to exchange insomnia for addiction...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 09:05 pm
Gee, sofia, that is tough. Are you near at all to a university med center? Well, I think my old one (ucla) had a sleep clinic, but maybe I am remembering wrong. In any case, you might check around, there might be one in the region, or gee, really, anywhere, that has a good website for questions.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 09:12 pm
Sweet to think of me, osso.

I have no money and no insurance. The illness finally caused me to lose my job.

But, I will take care of myself as soon as I have the opportunity. Thank you!
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 09:40 pm
HI Ya'll.....long time no see!

I do the Tylenol Pm, it works for me, I just play on the comp till it kicks in.....

Melatonin does work also, its been a long time since I used it. I used the liquad, squirt it under your tongue....and it relaxes you. To me, its kinda equivalent to a xanax.

The BIG O......lol, Bear you wouldn't be the only man that it put to sleep....lol
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 10:22 pm
Men only? I don't think so. The Big O works for me, too! Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 10:40 pm
Yes, but Sofia, maybe a website will answer questions to any online asker.

Also, when I was in zilch city, a financial state that is very familiar to me, I got checked at a univerity clinic - that is how I found out about my strange eyes.
I'll do a little web checking...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 10:40 pm
Yes, but Sofia, maybe a website will answer questions to any online asker.

Also, when I was in zilch city, a financial state that is very familiar to me, I got checked at a univerity clinic - that is how I found out about my strange eyes.
I'll do a little web checking...
0 Replies

Peter S

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 10:47 pm
If I cannot sleep I will iron my shirts and trousers. Ironing is boring and I can sleep. :wink:
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 05:54 pm
sofia, too much tylenol is bad for your liver...

joanne, melatonin is what allows us to sleep, s we get older our we produce less of it. that's why babies can fall asleep through practically anything... melatonin is natural. here's a link

http://www.melatonin.com/
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 05:59 pm
I think this thread cursed me. I read through it last night and didn't comment because "I never have problems sleeping". That is I never do unless I'm sick or totally stressed out. Well, yesterday I came down with a cold and last night I was up every hour with an infernal scratchy throat.

So, what do I do when I can't sleep? I spray more throat stuff into my throat, pee out another half pot of herbal tea and go back to sleep (ehem, erheh, arghack).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 06:06 pm
Aw, sorry about that, littlek. What a drag. A day in bed today with the ritters, perhaps?
0 Replies