Is it possible to get over your ex without having to date someone else?

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2014 07:32 am
Can you be happy on your own? Or does it just not work that way?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 586 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by AnonymousMoose
jespah

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2014 08:16 am
@AnonymousMoose,
Of course you can. People do it every single day.

It's called cultivating your inner resources.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2014 02:13 pm
@AnonymousMoose,
Yes, it's possible, but a new love does help.

You have to be willing to get that ex out of your mind. You have to be willing to move on and become your own person without that other person. You have to be open to new experiences and even a new love.

It takes time but it CAN happen.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2014 02:25 pm
I have the antiquated view that it is a good idea to find out who you are before tying up with someone you love or are infatuated with, forever, given some vows. Living with a lover can all be part of learning who you are and what you want, I won't deny that, but I know plenty of people who have never lived by themselves, in what often seems to me a kind of fear of being alone. Anyway, being "alone" can be a richly rewarding time to get to explore things that interest you, to look around at life and your opportunities. Not a downer, but a good thing. It can be refreshing.
0 Replies

Uncanny
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2014 06:06 pm
@AnonymousMoose,
Yes, and it's not as hard as you may think. There are several ways you can do this. So, start with the basics, without getting lost in scientific boring crap. So your brain makes you sad, you don't really have any control over how crappy sadness feels. It's all really up to what kind of chemical cocktail your brain decides to mix up for you. What you can control, are memories. It's the memories of your ex that will trigger this reaction. Depending on the length of your relationship it may take a couple weeks to adjust. All of your habits with your ex, phone calls, cuddling, watching movies late at night, lunch dates you will need to fill with something else pleasurable, or to keep you busy. Your memories are only stories you tell yourself of the past. The less you tell yourself this story, the less you get this reaction.

Oh and by the way, you can't sit and try not to think about it. Spend 10 minutes trying not to think about anything. It turns out to be difficult. Just do things you have wanted, or needed to do.
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2014 06:40 pm
I never heard this question before, OP.

Sounds like a personal problem that people have answered for you, as I haven't come across anyone that thought of it this way.

Are you a player?
0 Replies