Our War is not against Terrorism

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 05:32 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
radikal

This is a forum for discussion, not an electronic bulletin board upon which acolytes tack up their revered pedagogue's latest pamphlet.

What does this passage have to do with this topic, and what is your take on it?

Otherwise, a link to Chomsky's article serves as well as tacking up the text and takes up less space.

Are you a self-appointed moderator?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 05:40 pm
Not at all, are you?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 05:49 pm
No, I'm not and wouldn't presume to tell people what they can post and how.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 05:57 pm
How noble of you.

But isn't suggesting that I should not, actually doing the same thing?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 06:04 pm
No.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 06:19 pm
Has anyone else here crossed the U.S. border lately?
Gotta say, I've found it shockingly lax for the last year - and last week was no improvement. It's tougher to get back into Canada than it is to get into the U.S. When I watch what's going on at the other booths, I wanna holler at someone "aren't you going to get serious about this?"

The last time I was actually stopped for anything was when the security at Pearson here thought a cat-shaped hairclip I was taking to littlek was suspicious. On the same trip, security at Logan (that did a hand check twice) let me board the plane with a knife they had to move to look at things under it in my bag.

It really doesn't feel like U.S. Customs/Homeland Security is doing much at all when you're travelling back and forth across the border.

In the industry I work in, I work with a lot of fellas who match the 'profile'. When I ask them about it - errrr, nope, no problems at the border.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 06:26 pm
Oh, I dunno ... I sorta see some topicality in Radikal's cut-and-paste ... a stretch mebbe, but its there if ya dig for it. I happen to disagree with the thrust of the piece, but that's neither here nor there; that's merely a function of my own perception that Chomsky is absurd by nature.

Mostly, though, I don't lend much weight to the cut-and-paste style of arguement. So what if one can find a pundit who supports one's particular cherished prejudice? Generally, Internet Op-Ed pieces are about worth the paper they're printed on.

On the other hand, cut-and-paste an article or opinion, then disect and discuss it, pointing out where and why one agrees or disagrees with the thrust, or perhaps, depending on point of view, either dispute and rebut findings and/or conclusions as presented or further corroborate same with independently derived factual material, and there is thought and discussion going on. I'm not gonna bother taking the Chomsky blather apart, but anyone who objects to it is welcome to, just as anyone who agrees with it is welcome to deal with it from that point of view.

Either way, dissecting and critiquing the piece would serve the discussion at hand more ably than does sniping at one another about what may or may not be posted where by whom under which circumstances ... might not be as much fun, mebbe, and certainlty would call for more strenuous intellectual gymnastics than recently have been demonstrated here.

That's my take, anyway. And I'm not a self-appointed moderator, either. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 06:27 pm
Well, Lightwizard, what can I say?

You've registered your apparent displeasure.

Duly noted.
0 Replies