Judging from Iraq, the United Nations is no solution

Fedral

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 07:42 am
Judging from Iraq, the United Nations is no solution
Phyllis Schlafly
May 25, 2004

Media pundits can't understand why all the negative news coming out of Iraq doesn't produce poll results that show Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., defeating President George W. Bush. That's probably because Kerry's solution to the Iraq problem is to turn over its management to the United Nations.

The U.N. didn't have a lot of enthusiastic admirers before the Iraq war, and as news is sinking in about corruption on a scale never seen before, support for the U.N. is dropping to near zero.

Because of the hardships on Iraqi children from the sanctions imposed on Iraq after the first Persian Gulf War, beginning in 1996 Iraq was allowed to sell limited amounts of oil to finance the purchase of goods and medicines for humanitarian purposes. This oil-for-food program was supposed to be under tight U.N. supervision, but the U.N. was the fox guarding the henhouse.

The U.N. collected a 2.2 percent commission on every barrel of oil to pay for overseeing a flow of funds that totaled at least $67 billion, a task administered by 10 U.N. agencies employing a staff of 1,000. That was just the start of the giant oil-for-food rip-off.

The evidence is pouring in that more than $10 billion in bribes and kickbacks were siphoned off under the noses of the U.N. monitors. Oil-for-food was a giant scam that allowed Saddam Hussein to divert that incredible sum to finance his lavish lifestyle and to buy friends to keep himself in power.

The U.N. had no effective mechanisms for accounting or disclosure, and there never was any audit. Everything was secret: the price and quantity of the oil and of the goods for relief, the identities of the oil buyers, the quality of the food and medicines, the bank statements and all financial transactions.

U.S. Army Gen. Tommy Franks called the program "oil-for-palaces." Others called it UNScam. But Saddam's personal pocketing of an estimated $5 billion was only part of the racket; the rest of the illegal money financed a system of bribes to buy international support for his corrupt regime.

Now we know why the U.N., and especially France and Russia, opposed our goal of toppling Saddam. It wasn't because they are anti-American; it was because they were the chief beneficiaries of these secret deals with Saddam and they didn't want to turn off the money spigot.

From 1996-2002, oil-for-food was a cover that invited and sustained huge transfers of corruption-laden transactions between Iraq and major U.N. members, particularly Russia, France and China. Their profitable party would still be going on if the United States hadn't kicked Saddam out of power.

Here is how the scam worked:

Saddam selected individuals, corporations and political parties to receive oil allotments at steep price discounts, which were then sold at the market price. Their part of the deal was to kick back a generous percentage of the profits to Saddam and to help keep him in power by giving him political support in the U.N. and elsewhere.

U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan was a chief negotiator with Saddam. Annan's secretariat collected fees of $1.4 billion to monitor, administer and audit the program, keep the records, and interact with Saddam, plus another $500 million for weapons inspection.

Annan picked U.N. Assistant Secretary General Benon Sevan to be oil-for-food's executive director and report directly to him. He served for six years.

The Iraq oil ministry has released a list of 270 companies and politicians from 46 countries, especially Russia and France, that profited from this scheme. The list includes former Iraqi officials, a former French Cabinet minister, a British member of Parliament, Benon Sevan, who ran the program, a company with which Annan's son was associated and other U.N. personnel who were supposed to be monitoring the contracts.

The smoking gun is a letter to the former Iraqi oil minister obtained by ABC News. It describes the specifics of one deal that would have generated a profit of $3.5 million.

Some of the food delivered, mostly from Russia, was unfit for human consumption. Medicines were often out of date. Saddam also handed out vouchers instead of cash for other goods imported illegally in violation of U.N. sanctions. The excuse for this program was an alleged desire to provide for needs of the Iraqi people, but the people had no say in who bought or sold goods or food, what was bought, how it was distributed, or anything else. The deal was between the U.N. and Saddam.

Five investigations of what is probably the biggest financial fraud in history are now in progress. Two are by the U.S. House, one by the Senate, one by the Iraqi Governing Council, and one authorized by the U.N. and headed by former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker. A U.N. Security Council resolution calls on the 191 U.N. countries "to cooperate fully," but much cooperation is unlikely because Volcker has no subpoena power.

Link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,370 • Replies: 25
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:09 am
Who do people think the UN peacekeepers are? All this talk by people like Kucinich about turning over power to the UN and rotating american forces out by bringing in UN peacekeepers? Who is going to make up this amazing UN military? Spain?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:19 am
McG

Gosh yes-----that really is hillarious. Maybe France???

Oh I know-----Kofi will put his son in charge of it, but then maybe not -----he really is only good at setting up Swiss bank accounts and funneling in the money.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:23 am
perception wrote:
McG

Gosh yes-----that really is hillarious. Maybe France???

Oh I know-----Kofi will put his son in charge of it, but then maybe not -----he really is only good at setting up Swiss bank accounts and funneling in the money.

must be a blood relation to bush and dick.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:26 am
Maybe I would have a bit more faith in UN peacekeeping missions if they weren't failing so miserably in afghanistan. Everyone keeps blaming the US for what's happening there, meanwhile, it has been under UN leadership for well over a year since the US handed control over to the UN. They are doing a swell job there Rolling Eyes , so what makes anyone think the UN would have any success in Iraq?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:34 am
First you say that the UN is ineffective without American troops, hinting that they are a bunch of useless pussies without us, then denigrate them for not getting the job done in Afghanistan. Perhaps if we had left our troops there to finish the job we'd have one effectively completed job instead of two cluster f**ks?

Or perhaps you will always find whatever convenient excuse to judge anything or anybody outside your sphere of thinking in a negative manner using whatever spin comes to mind?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:35 am
Hinting?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:38 am
McGentrix wrote:
Hinting?

I saw no need in making you look even more narrow minded and focused. I figured you could take care of that yourself, but I didn't expect you to do it in 30 seconds. Good job.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:39 am
BPB

Careful son or you will "pop" one of those pulsating veins.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:47 am
perception wrote:
BPB

Careful son or you will "pop" one of those pulsating veins.

My veins are fine, and I'm cool as a cucumber. I don't know where you got the idea that I was overloading, but I appreciate your obviously sincere concern for my health.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:51 am
You're welcome
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:01 am
Bi-polar bear, can you demonstrate for me a successful UN venture that did not have US help or intervention?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:08 am
There's no doubt UN peacekeeping relies primarily on US forces. Perhaps a UN role would limit the stench of an imperialistic invasion...perhaps.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:08 am
McGentrix wrote:
Bi-polar bear, can you demonstrate for me a successful UN venture that did not have US help or intervention?

Can you say that the UN needs our help without saying the UN are pussies without us? Perhaps if you took the arrogant chip off your shoulder, more people would be willing to respond to you.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:14 am
The UN as an organization is fine. It's the UN peacekeeping missions that would be "pussyish" without US aide. Face it, because of the US military might, our allies have not needed to have super strong militaries. They have lived under the protection of the US military umbrella for so long that they have become used to it. They think that they can go on with out us now that the specter of war with Russia has gone away. Arrogant? No. just honest.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:26 am
You really and truly believe that you can speak of people that way and it's just honest not arrogant.

I find it appalling that you are a teacher quite frankly and are as you put it, "shaping young minds". I fear for this country.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:30 am
Why is it considered arrogant to recognize the US as a military juggernaut compared to most of the rest of the world? Explain that to me. If you ask me, you are demonstrating ignorance by denying it.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:40 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
You really and truly believe that you can speak of people that way and it's just honest not arrogant.

I find it appalling that you are a teacher quite frankly and are as you put it, "shaping young minds". I fear for this country.

Bi-Polar,

If you look up at the Himalaya Mountains and point to Mount Everest and say:
"That is the biggest mountain in the world."

Is that arrogance?
No, it is a statement of fact.

When you look at the U.S. military and say:
"That is the most powerful military in the world."

Is that arrogance?

When you look at U.N. peacekeeping operations and say:
The peacekeeping troops(of ANY country) couldn't be moved or supplied if not for the airlift capability of the United States Air Force. The peacekeepers wouldn't have the ability to have 24 hour, all weather strike capability to defend themselves if not for the support of the pilots of the U.S. Navy, Air Force, Marines and Army. No other nation on earth has the ability to get troops on the ground faster to anywhere on earth that they are needed than the United States."

When you say all these things...

Is that arrogance?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:43 am
McGentrix wrote:
Why is it considered arrogant to recognize the US as a military juggernaut compared to most of the rest of the world? Explain that to me. If you ask me, you are demonstrating ignorance by denying it.

Man you are thick. I recognize that the US is the worlds leading miltary juggernaut, but I don't walk around saying that because I'm bigger and stronger everyone else is a pussy. I don't treat or look at smaller weaker nations with disdain.

You make the mistake of thinking that because we can knock anyone down we're the best and the toughest. Horseshit. The tough people are the ones that can and will keep getting back up no matter how many times they're knocked down. We have never been tested that way and I pray we never will be.

If every smaller weaker nation on earth got tired of being treated the way you seem to view them and got together a coalition, we'd be **** out of luck.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:48 am
Fedral wrote:

When you look at U.N. peacekeeping operations and say:
The peacekeeping troops(of ANY country) couldn't be moved or supplied if not for the airlift capability of the United States Air Force.....

Is that arrogance?

Actually, it's neither. It's an apocryphal claim and laughably ridiculous. I would be greatly entertained to see you attempt to substantiate this.
0 Replies