What has Britain gained out of invading Iraq?

the prince

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 07:31 am
Vote Labour ? NO WAY !!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 07:42 am
It was only a suggestion Gautam :wink:
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 07:52 am
GD

Thats certainly how George Bush sees things. Black and white good and bad. The USA against the Evil Doers. I said before perhaps he's a secret Manichee?

In Europe Britain is the leading good guy. Spain were good but went bad. Germany doesnt count anymore. France is a hot bed of radical cheese eating and monkey surrenderring...definitely in the bad guy category Especially as John Kerry actually speaks French.

The Russians are bad guys come sort of good but they have a lot of oil so that makes a difference.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:04 am
'Scuse my ignorance Steve but what's a Manichee?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:16 am
I was afraid someone might ask that

Manicheaism was a religion founded by some bloke called Mani

http://www.worldhistory.com/wiki/M/Manichaeism.htm

They had a dualistic view of the world, God in a perpetual battle with Evil.

I just thought it might be the sort of thing Bush would go for...
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:45 am
Seems to fit the bill! I've always seen him as a mediaeval Crusader - spreading the light of God into the dark heathen lands of Araby by killing or converting the occupants.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:45 am
Would you say he had 10,000 men?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:48 am
Maybe there'll be 10,000 dead by the time he's finished...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:53 am
Only if he marches them up the hill again.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:57 am
I suspect he doesn't know if he's up or down!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 09:08 am
Grand Duke wrote:
I suspect he doesn't know if he's up or down!

Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 01:55 pm
Well, since being against the war is seen as "attacking our boys", you probably could extend "Noise Action Day" [which is tomorrow] until the 10th June?

I think it's hard work and perhaps impossible to talk about this, when the PM (and HRH Government) [lies or] exaggerates in making an argument for war.

I do know for certain, however, that by October 3, 1932, Iraq had gained nominal and full independence from Britain - which isn't questioned, I know.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 11:57 pm
Perhaps, you'll have look for another/different strategy, Steve?
Quote:
Asked yesterday if he [Prescott] had doubts about whether Mr Blair would lead Labour into the next election, Mr Prescott said: "Of course there's no doubt in my mind. I'm not Tony's mind, he has to take the decision. I have no doubt, if Tony Blair is leading us, and I believe he will, we will win that election. We believe our party will support him, the public will support him. He has been the most successful prime minister this country's had for many years."
[...]
Asked whether he wanted Mr Blair to carry on, Mr Prescott added: "I think if I had said that before Harold Wilson had made his statement I could never know what people's minds are. I'm convinced through my talks with Tony that he would like to lead us into that election. But he always considers events, events, events and this man has, I believe, got the confidence of the public. I believe without a shadow of a doubt that he could win and should win the next election."
SOURCE
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 08:39 am
Walter, you probably don't know our deputy prime minister very well, John Prescott.

but his tortuous language and frequent mixing up of words is quite famous.

Once getting off a plane after a rough flight he said

"Eee, its good to be back on terracotta"

So his replies you quote above are nothing unusual. What he meant was in answer to question a) was no. and to question b) yes. But of course why use 2 words when 200 will do instead?

Regarding my hunt for answers to my question, so far we have

1. It was the right thing to do. i.e. we can know that God approves, so all British people will go directly to heaven, bypassing limbo or purgatory, and feel very smug about it. And this transportation to immortal bliss might be even sooner than expected for those caught in any Al Qaida attack.

2. we have re affirmed our relationship with the United States, i.e. as master and dog. And be glad that we have such a kind and generous owner, get taken for walks in the park, fed scraps from the table etc etc.

3. We can think of ourselves as better than the cheese eating surrender monkeys or the sausage munching lederhosen, because Mr Bush has said we are good and they are bad.

4. ...no thats it. Only three so far.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 08:59 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
... the sausage munching lederhosen ...

(W/H)ell! When we start eating http://www.pickeringsofnorwich.co.uk/acatalog/_grandads.jpg with http://www.ayrx.com/london/images/brown_sauce.gif in http://www.longago.com/MA62.jpg ... ? :wink:
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 11:01 am
Prescott sounds a bit like bush.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 11:51 am
Thanks for the post Walter, getting hungry here
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 12:53 pm
Yes Prescott and Bush does have a familiar ring to it as in

"Prescott Bush was the father of president George Bush and grandfather of president George W. Bush. Like his son and grandson Prescott Bush attended Yale and belonged to the student secret society known as Skull and Bones."
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 12:55 pm
WTF is brown sauce?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 01:08 pm
McGentrix wrote:
WTF is brown sauce?

One of the highlights of British haute cuisine, otherwise known as espagnole. (The French white sauce, béchamel, and brown sauce, espagnole, are the bases of dozens of complex variations. )
0 Replies