What has Britain gained out of invading Iraq?

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 03:21 am
Help!

I will soon be canvassing support for the British Labour party in local and European parliamentary elections.

People are going to ask me this question. I can think of plenty of negatives, but not one single positive response, e.g.

Its made Britain safer
Its brought about peace in the middle east
Its secured our oil and gas supplies
Its improved our relations with the rest of Europe
We have won lots of lucrative reconstruction contracts

Well of course I can think of lots of answers, but is any of it true?

It looks like I will have to say Iraq has nothing to do with local or European issues. Or perhaps not canvass for the Labour Party.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,973 • Replies: 59
No top replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 04:30 am
It has probably strengthened our relations with the US, but whether or not that's a good thing is a matter of opinion.

I personally think it would be easier to campaign for the local elections, where you can talk about council tax, roadworks and schools, which have more of an impact on most people's everyday lives than Iraq ever will.
0 Replies

Archbishop

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 04:38 am
Tell them that, according to the President, God is on their side.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 04:42 am
Thanks GD

I agree it has strengthened our relationship with the US. But thats not going to get people to vote Labour.

Perhaps its me who is obsessed with Iraq...and people really will want to discuss council tax and the European Constitution...we shall see.

Yes dammit I am obsessed about Iraq. Take Iraq out of the equation and things are going pretty well. The economy is doing well. Inflation is low. Unemployment is low. National minimum wage, record increases in child benefit, record spending on schools and hospitals, record low PSBR as a percentage of GDP. Pensioner credits etc.

Iraq takes all the shine off the govts achievements.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 04:45 am
Thanks Archbishop, and welcome to a2k.

We already know God is on our side, but perhaps not as well as you do.

Which team do you play for btw?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 05:07 am
You've nearly converted me to the Reds, Steve. I say 'nearly', as I'll still carry on voting Lib Dem, just because I like Charlie more than Tony!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 05:09 am
Bookmark - I will be back
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 05:24 am
Thinking.......

thinking more.......

Er - Australia looks just as dumb and wrong, and out government is conservative? Therefore, two conservative governments took their countries in, vs only one Labor. Therefore, stick with the dummy you know?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 05:40 am
Which part of London will you be campigning in, Steve? One of the traditional Labour areas, or are you trying to convert Kensington & Chelsea etc? Where you must affect how you canvas?
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 05:58 am
Maybe it's not necessary to say that Britain "gained" anything from invading Iraq. Britain, as part of the Coalition, enforced UN resolutions and deposed a brutal dictator, freeing the Iraqi people. It was the right thing to do, and everyone knows it. Britain should be proud of its participation, as should all the other Coalition members.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 06:02 am
Errr..ummm...what UN resolutions were enforced btw ???
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 10:09 am
Steve

Have you ever thought that you can keep your sefl respect------BECAUSE IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 10:45 am
Big surprise here, but I agree with Tarantulas and perception on this one.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 11:03 am
According to Harper's, there are five "contractors (mercenaries)" for every four British soldiers.

Perhaps, the Brits wanted to keep in fighting fit should they face another invasion. It's been half a century.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 05:59 am
Some convoluted logic there from the Bunny, but welcome nevertheless.

Tony Blair often says invading Iraq was "the right thing to do".

How does he know this? Was he following instructions from Bush or God?

news just in ... £600 fine for throwing purple flour condom-bombs at Mr Blair.

Seems a bit excessive to me, after all it wasn't anthrax or ricin or even self raising flour. Laughing
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 06:05 am
Tarantulas wrote:
Britain, as part of the Coalition, enforced UN resolutions . .

No they didn't. The shrub wanted a new resolution for military action in Iraq. When it became obvious he wasn't going to get it he redefined previous resolutions and claimed he didn't need another one. They also went there to rid the country of WMD's. Once it became obvious that this was a ruse, he redefined the reason as the war on terror. But don't go letting the truth interfere with your view of the world. You've certainly never done so before.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 06:51 am
Well said, Wilso.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 07:04 am
It's really easy to state facts.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 07:07 am
It might be true to say that it is wrong to look only at the material benefits that this country derived from invading Iraq.

Perhaps its enough to say "we did the right thing". That we helped to liberate a repressed people from the hands of a brutal dictator.

Doing good was our only motivation. And we look for no reward save the joy of knowing that we do Thy will. Amen. Vote Labour.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 07:29 am
If we did indeed 'do the right thing', does that mean that the rest of Europe (except Spain & Poland etc) did 'the wrong thing' by not joining in with the invasion?
0 Replies