NFL Fires a Player qua Domestic Violence; morally right??

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 03:46 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
I am more concerned with the corporate class eating away at American values, because all they care about is money they will stand up for nothing. Make no mistakes, the NFL is completely beholden to corporate America, they feel that they have no ability to stand in opposition to corporate america on anything. Corporate america will follow the mob because they need to be with the mob to pick our pockets, and the NFL will be right there with them.

Money and devotion to those numbers on computer screens is for sure a big part of the problem, but the problem is the decline of american values. The hilarious thing is that my peers mostly believe that we are the most noble forthright and moral people to ever walk the earth, even as America and American values plummet before our eyes. The delusion of America today is on the level of mass mental illness.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 04:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
Would you say that illness is psychopathy? For an example, men are passive-aggressive; women are aggressive - the tables have changed. This country's pancake hasn't been flipped for decades, and so it is turning darker by the second.

Money replaced mind.

Luxury replaced life.

Corporations replaced innovations.

Greed replaced genius.

Fidelity replaced family.

Certainty replaced curiosity...

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 05:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Make no mistakes, the NFL is completely beholden to corporate America,

The NFL is corporate America. They aren't reluctant followers, they are leading the parade.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 06:11 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

The NFL is corporate America. They aren't reluctant followers, they are leading the parade.

I think increasingly you are correct, the NFL is a collection of owners, and increasingly these owners are people who made their money being corporate class elite. I also took note of mention that corporate America spends more money promoting the NFL than the NFL does, they do it by buying tickets, skyboxes, and by running promotions over media aimed at the masses.

When corporate America says jump, the NFL asks how high.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 06:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

engineer wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

I think increasingly you are correct, the NFL is a collection of owners, and increasingly these owners are people who made their money being corporate class elite. I also took note of mention that corporate America spends more money promoting the NFL than the NFL does, they do it by buying tickets, skyboxes, and by running promotions over media aimed at the masses.

When corporate America says jump, the NFL asks how high.

Listening your your reasoning, Hawk...I would have thought your last sentence would have been:

When the NFL says jump, corporate America asks how high.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 06:43 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
When the NFL says jump, corporate America asks how high.

Coke for instance does not need the NFL to sell Coke it is just a convenient way to do it, but the NFL needs coke to help gin up fan interest and to inject enough cash into the NFL accounts to pay the massive overhead it takes to run the modern NFL.

Quote:
The NFL declined to release financial data, but an estimate of its revenue can be pieced together through various sources by economists and market researchers. That $10 billion pie is roughly sliced four ways, according to Navigate Research, a Chicago-based firm that specializes in the evaluation of sports and entertainment marketing investments.

About $5 billion from media and television rights to broadcast games. Paid for by corporate ads and charges to cable companies
About $1-2 billion in sponsorships, such as its long-running deal with PepsiCo, worth about $90 million to $100 million per year. All corporate money
About $2 billion related to attendance and ticket sales. Corporations buy a lot of these tickets
About $1 billion in merchandise and licensing. All corporate money

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/super/2014/01/30/super-bowl-nfl-revenue-denver-broncos-seattle-seahawks/5061197/

The power in a relationship belongs to the party who wants/needs it the least.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 12:29 am
@hawkeye10,
Read an interesting analysis from a Master/slave indian (from india) couple that boils this event down to Janay had been pushing Ray, wanting him to put his foot down and control her, and when the situation escalated and he did not know what else to do he punched her....as if he was a 7 yo boy on the playground. Sounds right. They also believe that Janay slapped Ray just before getting into the elevator, which I did not see on the clip I watched but it could have been shortened to cut that part off to make Ray look worse. Janay has been acting like she knows that she is the one who was powering this altercation, that she started and perpetuated it, which would be common.

At the end of the day what this was about is that Ray was not up to the task of dealing with his woman. Slugging her was an act of weakness. That he was not able to defuse the situation before it got to the knock out punch shows his incompetence.
farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 07:18 am
@hawkeye10,
if a wimpy little guy comes over and starts hitting Mike Tyon and then Mike turns and decks the guy, Mike is a felon. (look it up)
I see no difference.
You seem to be using the same doofus logic as "Womens seeking to get raped"
Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 08:42 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

farmerman wrote:

I like the way you try to "extend" a point by making it enter the realm of the ridiculous. I, for one, don't think Rice should rot in hell , he should just not be reqrded for his Neanderthal and felonious actions to another human who just happens to be his wife.

Spousal laws protect these kinds of interactions nd assults and often wives defend their abusers for several reason byond the scope of this discussion. Rice shoul (qs he has) been given a directive from the NFL that he has no "license" to commit felonies against another person while off the field. I see no difference between a highly trained and skilled and pumped NFL "warrior" and a professional ranked boxer. The laws of conduct govern boxers out of the ring and these guys can be sentenced for using their ring skills to beat up people on the street.

The question should really be, IMHO, whether a "lifetime fooball ban " as a cruel and unusual punishment may be too excessive, especially since Rice is coming up on the end of his NFL career life. Mike Vick came back and has kept his nose clean but has just faded into obscurity (mostly based on his age I believe)

Neither do I, FM.

My point was made to Link...who in my opinion had gone too far in his reactions.

We all make mistakes.

Rice may never ever have done anything like this before...and may do nothing like it again.

A bit of perspective might be in order.

I've done some very stupid things in my day...and wouldn't want to be judged quite as harshly as Rice is being judged right now for those dumb things.

What he did was reprehensible. I just wanted to give a more balanced reaction.

And again you make no sense - I was responding to the fact that you said that you understood why this man would act the way he would -- basically because he grew up in such conditions where these actions are normal. I pointed out the fact that no he did not - he did not grow up in the "hood" or in circumstances where girls slap guys and he such. Also you pointed out that I probably had a much better environment than him - and I pointed out no not really.

I never said that he should rot in hell, but he is should be punished appropriately. I never said that I should be sitting next to God in heaven - I simply pointed out where I grew up. I never said I was did anything great.

You simply keep making excuses for someone that acted violently - again after I pointed out facts -- you twist things and then again you start giving him other excuses about football being violent so you understand him being violent. There are many football players and they do not all end up acting violently to their girlfriends or spouses.

He acted violently and did something that is against the law and should be punished for it. That is all I said and I stand by it. He takes his punishment like a man and then after redeems himself then he should be able to be forgiven.

Also, I have not acted violently as an adult and thus I should not be punished for it -- all I said.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 09:12 am

I re-iterate my sentiment that what Rice did
shud be addressed in criminal and civil litigation.
Let the courts have a monopoly on the situation, not the NFL.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 09:50 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Sporting organisations are very reticent to use the courts against a professional body. Had certain injuries occurred off the pitch they would no doubt have ended up in court, but there is an understanding that when you go on to a sports pitch you suspend certain rights.

When you join a club you accept the rules of the club.
Germlat

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 09:59 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

if a wimpy little guy comes over and starts hitting Mike Tyon and then Mike turns and decks the guy, Mike is a felon. (look it up)
I see no difference.
You seem to be using the same doofus logic as "Womens seeking to get raped"
Also the owner that kicks an unruly dog...or the parent that lays out a teenager out cold...abuse of physical power comes to mind. With power comes much responsibility.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 10:08 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Sporting organisations are very reticent to use the courts against a professional body. Had certain injuries occurred off the pitch they would no doubt have ended up in court, but there is an understanding that when you go on to a sports pitch you suspend certain rights.

I did not mean that the NFL shud have sued Rice.
I mean that the NFL shud have confined its attention to athletic competition
and let the criminal justice system take care of itself.
Germlat

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 10:11 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

izzythepush wrote:

I did not mean that the NFL shud have sued Rice.
I mean that the NFL shud have confined its attention to athletic competition
and let the criminal justice system take care of itself.

How is that? The NFL cares about filling seats. Allow some of the responsibility to go to the one who sabotaged his own act.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 10:19 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Rules of the club tend to cover such things as bringing the game into disrepute.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 11:11 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

farmerman wrote:

I like the way you try to "extend" a point by making it enter the realm of the ridiculous. I, for one, don't think Rice should rot in hell , he should just not be reqrded for his Neanderthal and felonious actions to another human who just happens to be his wife.

Spousal laws protect these kinds of interactions nd assults and often wives defend their abusers for several reason byond the scope of this discussion. Rice shoul (qs he has) been given a directive from the NFL that he has no "license" to commit felonies against another person while off the field. I see no difference between a highly trained and skilled and pumped NFL "warrior" and a professional ranked boxer. The laws of conduct govern boxers out of the ring and these guys can be sentenced for using their ring skills to beat up people on the street.

The question should really be, IMHO, whether a "lifetime fooball ban " as a cruel and unusual punishment may be too excessive, especially since Rice is coming up on the end of his NFL career life. Mike Vick came back and has kept his nose clean but has just faded into obscurity (mostly based on his age I believe)

Neither do I, FM.

My point was made to Link...who in my opinion had gone too far in his reactions.

We all make mistakes.

Rice may never ever have done anything like this before...and may do nothing like it again.

A bit of perspective might be in order.

I've done some very stupid things in my day...and wouldn't want to be judged quite as harshly as Rice is being judged right now for those dumb things.

What he did was reprehensible. I just wanted to give a more balanced reaction.

And again you make no sense - I was responding to the fact that you said that you understood why this man would act the way he would -- basically because he grew up in such conditions where these actions are normal.

Actually, I did not say that. But I can understand you wanting to paraphrase rather than giving an actual quote. It suits your purposes to distort.

Quote:

I pointed out the fact that no he did not - he did not grow up in the "hood" or in circumstances where girls slap guys and he such. Also you pointed out that I probably had a much better environment than him - and I pointed out no not really.

I never said that he should rot in hell, but he is should be punished appropriately. I never said that I should be sitting next to God in heaven - I simply pointed out where I grew up. I never said I was did anything great.

You simply keep making excuses for someone that acted violently - again after I pointed out facts -- you twist things and then again you start giving him other excuses about football being violent so you understand him being violent. There are many football players and they do not all end up acting violently to their girlfriends or spouses.

He acted violently and did something that is against the law and should be punished for it. That is all I said and I stand by it. He takes his punishment like a man and then after redeems himself then he should be able to be forgiven.

Also, I have not acted violently as an adult and thus I should not be punished for it -- all I said.

Sounds to me like a bunch of sanctimonious, self-congratulatory, holier-than-thou nonsense to me, Link.

So...I gotta react to that.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 01:40 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Rules of the club tend to cover such things as bringing the game into disrepute.

Well that nails it, the clinching argument...." We dont employ them kind around here" has over different times kept firms from hiring women, blacks, puerto ricans, the poor, homos, the married, the unmarried, the sexually active and so on and so on".

For about a half day in 1988 we believed that if a person could do a job then they should have a shot at having the job. It did not last long, now there are long lists of conditions.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 02:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Absolute bollocks, it's behaviour, not skin colour or religion. Take your self serving persecution complex somewhere else, it's making you sound like an idiot.

Being intolerant of (not just domestic,) violence is a step in the right direction.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 02:18 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Rules of the club tend to cover such things
as bringing the game into disrepute.
What Rice did is despicable.
Rice is innocent of "bringing the game into disrepute." Un-related.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 02:19 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That's not down to you, you don't work for a sports governing body.
0 Replies