NFL Fires a Player qua Domestic Violence; morally right??

izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 09:21 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
When I had my law firm, if I had discovered that
one of my attorneys, or support staff, had been involved
in a domestic altercation at home, did it behoove me to fire the suspect????
I dont think so.

When you interviewed potential employees did you ask them if they had a criminal record? Most employers do, there are certain occupations in the UK where all criminal convictions have to be disclosed, even spent ones that can be put down to youthful indiscretion.

Your phrase 'domestic altercation,' cuts both ways, both victims and perpetrators are involved in a 'domestic altercation.' Not only that a 'domestic altercation could be fairly innocuous,' just a row.

So if it's just a 'domestic altercation,' you probably should stay out of it unless it's affecting your business. If, however, it becomes a criminal case you want to ask yourself if your business' image is tarnished by employing a convicted criminal.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 09:24 am
One of the things that I did notice when viewing the tape of what happened...was that the woman initiated (on several occasions) the physical aspect of the confrontation.

It was minor...but she laid hands on Rice first...several times before he lashed out.

I still consider any many who hits a woman to be a scumbag...and although I live in Piscataway (where he is considered pretty hot stuff)...I think him to be one.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 09:50 am
As far as I could ascertain, the NFL handed Rice an indefinite suspension which means he could be brought back after some time.

I think banning him from playing in the NFL for the rest of his life would be too harsh a punishment given the circumstances of the incident.

I think a one season ban and a hefty fine would be punishment enough especially given the fact that the criminal charges that were brought against him were dropped and he's agreed to court-supervised counseling.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 10:21 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
Should a business owner have the right to fire an employee who damages their brand? I think so.

I dont think anyone has claim that the NFL did not have the right to take this action, the claim from me is that this action is wrong.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 10:25 am
@jespah,
Quote:
A team situation is different from an office; the other players' abilities to bring in $$ can also be affected.

I think there is a big difference between a team saying that Rice can not work for them and the NFL saying that Rice can not practice his profession at all. The NFL is far more wrong here than the Ravens were.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 10:30 am
@engineer,
Quote:
Rice's real job is to put butts in the seats and eyeballs on the TV screens

this makes me less likely to put my butt into a seat, but then again I have only done it twice in the last decade and only on free or reduced price tickets. I like football, but not at current prices.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 10:35 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
One of the things that I did notice when viewing the tape of what happened...was that the woman initiated (on several occasions) the physical aspect of the confrontation.

That would be common. Women very often bait men into hitting them, which we cant talk about here or ever. The media has made no mention of it, what you do see is commentary that she is blameless even though she has accepted blame so she must be sick and need help. When the ravens pointed out that she had accepted some of the blame for what happened they got reamed in the press and on Twitter.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 10:35 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
His job is to play football to the best of his ability

His job is to ultimately make money for the organization -- if he does something that jeopordizes that then he should be punished.

Thinking way back when there were punched key cards as opposed to computers keyboards for inputting data entry. Say you were hired in a company to do a job to be a key punch data entry person. You are making the company money via your data entry skills. You are very good at the job and you do this to the best of your abilities. Then computers come into play -- no matter how good you are and how hard you try at keying those punched entries - the person doing quicker data entry via the computer is making more money for the company than you and you get fired even though you do your job the best.

Well this bonehead beating his girl to a pulp causes the fans to turn away from the francise potentially causing them to lose money no matter how well he plays -- ever with top notch quality of his job if it is still losing the business money what is the contributing?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 10:38 am
@Linkat,
Quote:

His job is to ultimately make money for the organization -- if he does something that jeopordizes that then he should be punished.

that gets you to " employers can invade our lives as much as they imagine their customers want them to".

NO! Having capital does not give you the right to rub out freedom in America, be you a NFL ticket holder or Warren Buffet.

We have a justice system, that is where justice is handed out. If it is not doing a good enough job then lets fix it. It is not employers job to regulate justice in this society.
Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 10:41 am
@Buttermilk,
Buttermilk wrote:

Well frank this is perhaps the issue where you and I disagree.

What Rice did is wrong but these are the societal issues that seem to be pervasive. Domestic Violence is wrong period, however there is this ideology of "men should walk away and not hit women" but its ok for women to be violent because of them being the weaker sex." I tend to think this type of mindset seems to be filtered through society's psyche as being an unwritten rule.

Was Rice wrong? Absolutely. Is he a scumbag? I wouldn't know, I don't know the man personally.

I tend to agree too - in that a female even if weaker should also not be resorting to violence either. The difference here is her hitting does not have the same impact as his hits. In other words if he kinda grabbed her and held her back or b*tch slapped her - equal violence in a sense, it would be different. Although he would still be looked at as the scumbag. Logically his strength will cause more harm.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 10:59 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Quote:
His job is to play football to the best of his ability

His job, Linkat...is to play football to the best of his ability. If the organization for which he works uses that to make money...fine.

But making money for the organization is NOT his job...playing the best football he can IS.

If he wanted to help make more money for the organization...he could ask for a 50% cut in wages. Do you think he would do that?

Quote:

Well this bonehead beating his girl to a pulp...

He did not beat his girl to a pulp, Link, he punched her once and she went down like a ton of bricks. I would make a joke about him not realizing she had a glass jaw, but I am sure that would not be well received. Besides, I think ANY man who hits a woman in any way...is a scumbag. Rice is a scumbag for having done it in my opinion. I hope he mends his ways...and never does anything remotely like this again in his life.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 11:01 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
Logically his strength will cause more harm.

So if you shoot me with a 9mm regular and I respond by shooting you with 9mm hollow point then I am more wrong? No, you are the one who took the dispute to bullets, you are the most wrong. In this case it appears that the woman took the dispute to the physical, she is the one who is most wrong.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 11:07 am
@hawkeye10,
I learned on the playground by the time I was 7 that one should think twice about taking a swing at someone who is bigger. Women should not be treated as victims when they are stupid enough to do it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 11:13 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
NO! Having capital does not give you the right to rub out freedom in America, be you a NFL ticket holder or Warren Buffet.

Actually there are things that I cannot due to my employment. I can not trade a security without pre-approval; I cannot work or support (nothing to do with voting, but assist someone running for office) a political campaign; I cannot work elsewhere without pre-approval or have an officer title with another organization whether non-profit or not without pre-approval.
engineer

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 11:14 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Well, it shouldn't, but effectively it does. We all heard cases after the last presidential election of employers firing workers who supported President Obama. The reality is those with the capital can hire or fire at their discretion and if their motives are less than capitalistic, that is completely legal.
farmerman

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 12:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The "Wifebeater tee shirt" was invented in Piscataway or Kearney, I forget which
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 12:25 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

The "Wifebeater tee shirt" was invented in Piscataway or Kearney, I forget which

Never heard of it, FM.

Ray Rice played his college football here in Piscataway...with the Rutgers Scarlet Knights. He was always thought of as a decent, intelligent, nice guy. I have no idea of how he managed to get into this mess...but I wish him (and his wife) the very best in reconstructing himself. He has agreed to anger management as part of a bargain on the violence charge...and I have no reason to suppose he will not conquer whatever it is that is eating at him.
farmerman

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 12:32 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Heres a typical citizen of Kearney sporting a wifebeater tee shirt

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMHEnoMG5Rg3gi4kUN_6jX-aJJbR4NS2r7MDtLau6idA7Ebvs1

Being a habitué of NJ, I thought you knew that these were required garments for "casual Fridays"
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 12:36 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Well, it shouldn't, but effectively it does. We all heard cases after the last presidential election of employers firing workers who supported President Obama. The reality is those with the capital can hire or fire at their discretion and if their motives are less than capitalistic, that is completely legal.

and completely wrong.

I dont see anything preventing you and me from voicing objection. I think we are also still able to criticize our fellow citizens who are calling for the NFL to start firing increasing numbers of people who dont pass moral litmus tests. I think we can ask the question why are we still treating women as the weaker sex who need so much protection from the power of men that they should get a free pass at provoking men and should automatically be labeled the blameless victim when they get into physical altercations with men...if women are equal then treat them as equal, if they are lessor then men then make them obey me...we need to make up our ******* minds which way we want to go.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 12:46 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Quote:

Actually there are things that I cannot due to my employment. I can not trade a security without pre-approval; I cannot work or support (nothing to do with voting, but assist someone running for office) a political campaign; I cannot work elsewhere without pre-approval or have an officer title with another organization whether non-profit or not without pre-approval.

Do two wrongs make a right in your world? Where are you going with this?