NFL Fires a Player qua Domestic Violence; morally right??

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 03:59 pm
@Germlat,
Quote:
It's not what I think or my opinion, it's the fact that he made himself distasteful to the public.

I see, so the collective is free to run over individual rights at will according to you.

I do not agree. I think any assault upon individual rights needs to have a reasonable rational basis, and the collective must remain mindful that we are men and not Gods. To expect humans to behave as Gods is inhumane. A reasonable rational person does not turn one bad act into a ruined life except in the most extreme circumstances. We all make mistakes, and many of us are capable of using our mistakes to learn to be better people.

Chopping people off at the knees for one mistake, zero tolerance, is not only cruel but it is stupid as well.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 04:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawk, the man punched her unconscious. She just spit into his eyes.

Let's ignore the law system for a moment and let's ask you what would you do? The man has to face the consequences for his actions, what he did was not humane, so what would you apply to his consequences?
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 04:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
It's not what I think or my opinion, it's the fact that he made himself distasteful to the public.

I see, the the collective is free to run over individual rights at will according to you.

I do not agree. I think any assault upon individual rights needs to have a reasonable rational basis, and the collective must remain mindful that we are men and not Gods. To expect humans to behave as Gods is inhumane. A reasonable rational person does not turn one bad act into a ruined life except in the most extreme circumstances. We all make mistakes, and many of us are capable of using our mistakes to learn to be better people.

Chopping people off at the knees for one mistake, zero tolerance, is not only
cruel but it is stupid as well.

He's nothing but an entertainer...he's already been vastly rewarded. People expect for others to behave well....as humans not beasts. See, I think his nature was revealed and he's kinda ugly. He could've killed her! How does that escape your attention. He is lucky he didn't. As a matter of fact, this may be the biggest reality check to come his way. I thinks it's a tad naive to think it's his first time.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 04:15 pm
@Germlat,
Quote:
I thinks it's a tad naive to think it's his first time.

neither you nor the collective has the right to take other peoples rights away based upon beliefs or assumptions. If you think Ray Rice has done this before then come up with some evidence, otherwise you have nothing.

Quote:
He could've killed her!

I could have been hit and killed by a semi as I was driving to Starbucks this morning. So what? The legal system and the removal of rights operates upon what is, not what could have been.

Quote:
He's nothing but an entertainer...he's already been vastly rewarded.

that is irrelevant.

Quote:
See, I think his nature was revealed and he's kinda ugly.
That is not what people who know him say. Why should we take your word over theirs?
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 04:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawk, is there anyone you love?

Let's pretend your loved one was on that elevator that night.

Are you going to keep writing the emotionless psychopathy you are if your loved one was punched into an unconscious state? Or are you going to show people that you do have a heart, but it's closed off to strangers, because you're a hypocrite?

You see, I'd understand where you're coming from that people make mistakes, including that. But...

1. Rice showed no sympathy - the man is an animal, not a human being that lost himself for a split second.

2. You are biased towards women.

3. You resort to logical fallacies like appeal to authority; appeal to family.

4. You reserve your heart to only those you care about - you are a psychopath whose words have no meaning.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 04:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Because, it's unlikely that punching a woman out cold sells products.

that is the same rationalization that was long used to force teachers into agreeing to not marry and to also to be paragons of virtue. We now consider that to be backwards and an unfair deprivation of individual rights.

Explain to me why this is different.

Public wife beating is the hallmark of a truly progressive society, we don't want to be dragged back to the dark ages.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 04:39 pm
@izzythepush,
The dark ages were when our minders told us how to behave and we did it or else.

We are already back into a new dark age.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 04:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawk, that's hyperbole and you know it. You cannot use sweeping generalizations like this, when there are personal, distinctive, aspectual evidence right in front of your eyes.

Sometimes, I wonder why everyone that calls themselves a hawk, really can't see like a hawk.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 05:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'm getting dizzy from your whiplash hogwash. Apparently you are the sole source of the appropriate action one should take? You criticize Linkat for pointing out an alternative view on how she reacted when someone spit on her as self congratulatory. On one hand you won't give Rice a pass for punching a woman's lights out, however, he shouldn't suffer any repercussions simply because he knew the woman he assaulted. And was a winning football player.

I don't know if you think spitting on people is enough for Rice to react like he did. I don't think i know anyone who thinks spitting is anything but a base action done by a pig ignorant person. Linkat choose to not react in a way that way equally pig ignorant. Maybe Rice and his wife are made for each other. I find all the actions on that elevator repulsive. I'm surprised you don't have serious doubts about it.

Or have you just gone soft headed and now make excuses for violent offenders, like a defense lawyer trying to mitigate whatever horrible action his client committed by blaming his mommy. For Christ sake Frank, get hold of yourself, you sound hysterical.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 07:39 pm
@izzythepush,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Quote:
Because, it's unlikely that punching a woman out cold sells products.

that is the same rationalization that was long used to force teachers into agreeing to not marry and to also to be paragons of virtue. We now consider that to be backwards and an unfair deprivation of individual rights.

Explain to me why this is different.
izzythepush wrote:
Public wife beating is the hallmark of a truly progressive society,
Progressing toward WHAT ??

izzythepush wrote:
we don't want to be dragged back to the dark ages.
To give the devil his due,
thay were alone in that elevator, right? No public in there.
It seems un-likely that he knew of the camera that proved
to be his un-doing.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 07:57 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
It seems un-likely that he knew of the camera that proved
to be his un-doing.

you can bet that from now on they will be careful to conduct their fights in private. I have not seen a timeline but there is a high likelihood that Janay Rice started this fight in public just as Beyonce's sister Solange started the fight with Jay-Z as we know from elevator video. I'll bet she feels very guilty about that, and that Ray Rice feels very stupid that he did not think about camera's when he slugged his girl. I doubt very much the Jay-Z is in the habit of taking physical abuse from females but when the camera's are on you betcha he knows that he needs to take it. Ray was not as smart.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 08:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
One thing the "Janay had no role in what went wrong this night" crowd ignores is that the cops talked to both of them, and decided that both of them should be arrested.

Why did they arrest Janay?

Enquiring minds would like to know.
0 Replies

isabelmedrano24

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 09:06 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Why did Elsa go to the bathroom?
She needed to let it go Wink
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 12:23 am
@hawkeye10,
You can't accept the fact that women have rights, it frightens you, and makes you talk bollocks.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 12:45 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You can't accept the fact that women have rights, it frightens you, and makes you talk bollocks.
where do you imagine I said that Janay Rice should not have had the right to press charges? What I did say was

Quote:
. And would somebody please explain to be how hurting the families finances helps the victim here? She is pissed, and she has a right to be. She has been violated again by the NFL and the news media.

http://able2know.org/topic/254324-1#post-5760990

Let's talk about Janay Rice's rights....where was her right to control the video of her abuse? Are we now going to pay her some money as restitution for showing her abuse millions of time just as we see that children get paid when pedophiles look at their pics? Where was Janay Rice's right to pursue justice for her abuse in the way that she wants? She has made it very clear that she does not want any help from us now in addressing her abuse, the she is happy with how they were as a family healing and growing from this before we barged in and took the families financing away. We do the exact opposite of what she wants us to do, we completely ignore her will, we in effect reabuse her in the process of of loading up punishment on her husband.

Where are Janay Rices rights? How can we treat this woman so shabbily and then run around congratulating ourselves on our good high minded work?? This is uncomfortably close to back when we burned witches at the stake claiming to be doing them a favor because we were setting their souls free.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 01:11 am
@hawkeye10,
The Revictimizing of Janay Rice
Dave Zirin
Quote:
No one cares that she is now going to have to relive this incident over and over again. No one cares that the world has now become privy to what may be the most humiliating moment of her entire life. No one cares that she’s basically now being used as a soapbox with otherwise apolitical NFL commentators using her prone body to get on their high horse and safely blast the league. There is video, and those who never raised their voice publicly about the axis of domestic violence and the NFL before are now bellowing the loudest.

ESPN “NFL insider” Adam Schefter was enraged and called the entire situation “the biggest black eye in league history.” Unfortunate phrasing aside, even the statement speaks volumes. What about every other act of domestic violence in league history that wasn’t caught on videotape? What about the Kansas City Chiefs’ Jovan Belcher two seasons ago actually killing the mother of his child, Kasandra Perkins, before taking his own life? Why are these actions seen as less of a black eye? The answer, of course, is that this one was caught on videotape. In other words, it damages the league’s public relations. In other words, this is—again—not about Janay Rice. It is about the well-being of the league.

So if no one is going to talk about the welfare of the person who is actually subjected to the violence on that tape, let’s talk about it here. I spent the morning communicating with people who work on issues involving domestic violence and violence against women nearly every day of their lives. They all said the same thing, without dissent: releasing this tape to the world is incredibly damaging to Janay Rice. Just as we would protect the name of an alleged rape victim, just as we would not show a video of Ray Rice committing a sexual assault, we should not be showing this video like it’s another episode of Rich People Behaving Badly. If Janay Rice wanted to show this tape to the world, in other words if she had offered her consent, that is a different matter. But showing and reshowing it just because we can is an act of harm.

Tragically, it seems—especially judging by my Twitter feed—that very few people agree with this sentiment. Their belief—and to be frank, this is shared by a lot of people whom I respect—is that seeing the video will shock people, advance the conversation and force action. Even some of the same people saying that nude photo hacks shouldn’t be clicked on are saying people have an obligation to bear witness to what Rice did.

Please support The Nation. Donate now!

I have serious doubts about this. If you were outraged by violence against women before, will seeing this video really change your mind? If you are not outraged by violence against women, does this video actually make a damn bit of difference? My fear, and this happens whenever you have videos that spark outrage until the next new cycle, is that all it will provoke are the kinds of reactions that don’t necessarily help anybody, least of all the victims. I hear influential people like ESPN’s Mike Greenberg asking the question, “Why isn’t Ray Rice in prison?”

There is no thought given to restorative justice. Only how do we further punish, impoverish and crowd our prisons. As for Janay Rice, she has of course been standing with Ray Rice, even marrying him after the incident. I have no doubt that there are issues there, but they become our damn business only if Janay Rice wants them to be our damn business. I will ask again: What does Janay Rice want, and shouldn’t that matter? If it doesn’t matter, all we are doing is re-victimizing this person one click at a time.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/181523/revictimizing-janay-rice#
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 01:53 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

izzythepush wrote:
You can't accept the fact that women have rights,
it frightens you, and makes you talk bollocks.
where do you imagine I said that Janay Rice should not
have had the right to press charges? What I did say was

Hawkeye wrote:
And would somebody please explain to be how hurting the families finances helps the victim here? She is pissed, and she has a right to be. She has been violated again by the NFL and the news media.

http://able2know.org/topic/254324-1#post-5760990

Let's talk about Janay Rice's rights....where was her right to control the video of her abuse? Are we now going to pay her some money as restitution for showing her abuse millions of time just as we see that children get paid when pedophiles look at their pics? Where was Janay Rice's right to pursue justice for her abuse in the way that she wants? She has made it very clear that she does not want any help from us now in addressing her abuse, the she is happy with how they were as a family healing and growing from this before we barged in and took the families financing away. We do the exact opposite of what she wants us to do, we completely ignore her will, we in effect reabuse her in the process of of loading up punishment on her husband.

Where are Janay Rices rights? How can we treat this woman so shabbily and then run around congratulating ourselves on our good high minded work?? This is uncomfortably close to back when we burned witches at the stake claiming to be doing them a favor because we were setting their souls free.
YES!!!
WELL SAID, Hawkeye (other than beginning a sentence with a conjunction).

David
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 01:57 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Thanks.

What are you doing up at 4am in Florida? You are retired...you can sleep in now!
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 02:17 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I could have been hit and killed by a semi as I was driving to Starbucks this morning. So what? The legal system and the removal of rights operates upon what is, not what could have been.

Quote:
He's nothing but an entertainer...he's already been vastly rewarded.

that is irrelevant.

Quote:
See, I think his nature was revealed and he's kinda ugly.
That is not what people who know him say. Why should we take your word over theirs?

When someone exhibits deliberate reckless behavior , he/she should be held accountable. That is reason for the felony charge. Maybe the people who think he's a great guy, will have him endorse their products...maybe they will set him up on dates with their daughters.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 02:50 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I'm getting dizzy from your whiplash hogwash. Apparently you are the sole source of the appropriate action one should take? You criticize Linkat for pointing out an alternative view on how she reacted when someone spit on her as self congratulatory. On one hand you won't give Rice a pass for punching a woman's lights out, however, he shouldn't suffer any repercussions simply because he knew the woman he assaulted. And was a winning football player.

I don't know if you think spitting on people is enough for Rice to react like he did. I don't think i know anyone who thinks spitting is anything but a base action done by a pig ignorant person. Linkat choose to not react in a way that way equally pig ignorant. Maybe Rice and his wife are made for each other. I find all the actions on that elevator repulsive. I'm surprised you don't have serious doubts about it.

Or have you just gone soft headed and now make excuses for violent offenders, like a defense lawyer trying to mitigate whatever horrible action his client committed by blaming his mommy. For Christ sake Frank, get hold of yourself, you sound hysterical.

Re-read your post, Glitterbag...and then tell me who sounds hysterical.
0 Replies