NFL Fires a Player qua Domestic Violence; morally right??

Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 02:20 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

We were shown a video on TV wherein the wife spit in Rice's face
immediately before getting slugged and knocked out cold.

Let me address this question to EVERYONE:
In those circumstances, what is the morally CORRECT response
for a muscular athlete to DO??

The wife, could easily have suffered extensive brain damage, ended up on life support, been pronounced DEAD and now be resting, at peace in a quiet cemetary. The abuser would be charged with MURDER, paced under arrest, and now be resting in a little jail cell.

Aside from morals, the abuser should have wiped the spit off his face, and WALKED AWAY.
[/quote]

I think someone named Remy actually did have such a result and unfortunately they mother of his child is now resting in peace and he now has a nice 4x5 cell to enjoy the rest of his life in.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 02:24 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
There is a reason for it -- the reputation of a company
which has become willingness of the company to conform to the demands of the mob, no matter how unreasonable. This was talked about on A2K when Gilbert Gottfried got fired as the AFLAC duck for a twitter joke not related to AFLAC that some people did not like, even though the joke was classic Gilbert Gottfried. Look, I dont want a child molester to be working at my daycare, I dont want a known heroin addict flying the plane, I dont want a swindler running my bank....but my rights as a citizen to tell another citizen that he cant do a job is limited. I dont like how we are going towards a program where only submissives and clean livers can participate in the working end of this capitalist system, especially since the people running it are clearly crooks.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 02:25 pm
@Linkat,
You're right, Linkat. And, Remy stood at the end of his trial, and addressed the Court room, and said the woman shouldn't have tried to keep his child from him.

Again...again...again...Why do men insist on blaming the woman, who is the victim. I doubt that any woman, even the so -called strongest could hit a large man with her fist and knock him out "cold".
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 02:25 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

We were shown a video on TV wherein the wife spit in Rice's face
immediately before getting slugged and knocked out cold.

Let me address this question to EVERYONE:
In those circumstances, what is the morally CORRECT response
for a muscular athlete to DO??

The wife, could easily have suffered extensive brain damage, ended up on life support, been pronounced DEAD and now be resting, at peace in a quiet cemetary. The abuser would be charged with MURDER, paced under arrest, and now be resting in a little jail cell.

Aside from morals, the abuser should have wiped the spit off his face, and WALKED AWAY.

Ah, so easy for you to say. But different cultures expect different reactions.

Just for the record...if you had been a witness to that happening...would you have intruded yourself between Rice and the woman? Would you have physically moved him away from her lying there? Would you have lectured him on proper decorum?

All of those things would have been "the right thing" to do.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 02:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Is your opinion "the current response"????
not sure what you are asking...my response is what I would tell anyone who was spit on. Rice was wrong, he knows he was wrong, his wife knows that he was wrong.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 02:28 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
If he did so - then she would be the jerk and not him.

they were both jerks, which thankfully unlike the idiot public they both know and acknowledge.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 02:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
If he did so - then she would be the jerk and not him.

they were both jerks, which thankfully unlike the idiot public they both know and acknowledge.

Great point, Hawk!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 02:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Walk away - forever. Spitting on someone is not crime meriting a violent response.
Spiting on some in anger, and throwing a drink at someone in anger (to moves often used by women) is considered to be assault....aka a violent act.

Spitting in Massachusetts is a felony, since your spit could have contained a pathogenic microbe that could cause harm ( remember HIV).
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 02:31 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Somehow, I think the option of "just walk away" is easier for someone like you or me, Engineer...than for a guy who is making it big in the NFL...where a willingness to be violent is expected...and considered an asset of sorts.
I have a feeling based upon experience in abuse relationships (abuse is rampant in Childhood sexual abuse victim follow on relationships) that the wife would have lost respect for Rice had he walked away. He should have done it anyways.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 02:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Somehow, I think the option of "just walk away" is easier for someone like you or me, Engineer...than for a guy who is making it big in the NFL...where a willingness to be violent is expected...and considered an asset of sorts.
I have a feeling based upon experience in abuse relationships (abuse is rampant in Childhood sexual abuse victim follow on relationships) that the wife would have lost respect for Rice had he walked away. He should have done it anyways.

He definitely shoulda.

But he didn't...and I can understand how and why it happened.

Now the mess has to be cleaned up.

I think he is going to do it...I think they are going to do it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 02:38 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
Again...again...again...Why do men insist on blaming the woman, who is the victim.

Again...again...again..up till the point when he hit her the man was the victim in this story. We have a victim and a bigger victim, and abuser and a bigger abuser.

The story is not as black/white as the morality police tell it. Maybe we should let the justice system and this couple work it out. The bigger victim in this story says that she does not want our "help" (which she has called harm) , so lets honor her wishes unless we have a good reason to not.
engineer

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 02:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

That is like defending honor killings because "different cultures expect different reactions." I'm completely good saying Rice's response is out of line regardless of what his cultural expectations are.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 02:51 pm
Quote:
Mioshi Johnson, wife of Rice's former Ravens teammate Chris Johnson (and good friend of the Rice family), said: "They're just feeling very ostracized. Like, you're not helping. Everybody is continually making us relive this when we're trying to heal and grow from this. So where's the help? Where's the support?"

http://www.people.com/article/ray-rice-janay-palmer-controversy-nfl-wives

Here is the dirty little secret, this is not about this couple, this is not about domestic violence, this is about having an excuse to beat on someone and taking it, because it gets us off. We are sadistic.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 02:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Different cultures? Parties in this abuse case were Afro -American.

Tell me, if the COLOR of the two individuals involved had been WHITE, and not BLACK, everything else the SAME, how would the reaction of the male to the woman's spit have changed?

In other words, if the white woman spit on her white abuser, what would the white man have done, if your comment " different cultures expect different reactions" is factual.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 03:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I would have done something and I am 5'2" 110 pounds -- perhaps not have jumped in front of him, but I would have told him off and called for help.

And I know I would as I have done so before. Not an exact same situation, but I have gotten involved and called police for help and screamed and yelled at man kicking the sh*t out of a guy that was lying on the ground while others simply walked on by and ignored it.
Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 03:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
Don't you think that Rice should have lost respect for her -- her spitting at him?
Miller

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 03:03 pm
@Linkat,
A security guy, supposedly looked into the elevator, asked if the woman was drunk, and then supposedly said "No police"? (Seen on TV)
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 03:05 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Don't you think that Rice should have lost respect for her -- her spitting at him?

Don't know. With what respect, did Rice hold for the female, prior to the elevator scene?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 03:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
A generation ago cops could not take any cash they find just because they want to, but look at the news accounts of the day and we see that this taking place routinely in St Louis is one of the major reasons we just watched a riot take place there.
A "generation or two" ago, significant numbers of cops in major cities were on mob payrolls.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 04:11 pm
@farmerman,
That was not ok with the us justice department or SCOTUS, the cops taking what ever cash they find laying around is. Ditto for the opinion of the majority of the citizens. The new situation is morally worse than the old was.
0 Replies