NFL Fires a Player qua Domestic Violence; morally right??

engineer

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 08:46 pm
@firefly,
This is true of any employer. Should the penalty for domestic violence be loss of job as well as any criminal penalty? How about for other felonies? Rice was convicted of a misdemeanor. Does that qualify for automatic unemployment? Should factories fire their workers for speeding? Jaywalking? Is that in the best interest of everyone involved? Would we do that to Joe down the street? Is society better off by taking violent productive workers and making them violent unemployed workers? Can they be rehabilitated in that situation or do you consider them irredeemable? My thought is no to all of the above. There is nothing so special about the NFL that they shouldn't follow the rules just about every other workplace follows. Rice committed a crime so let the criminal system handle it. If that prevents him from doing his job, take action then. The argument that Rice is a hero that young boys want to emulate is a stretch at best, but more likely a fantasy the NFL likes to push. Sure, they may want to copy his football moves, but no one follows his home life until he gets arrested for domestic violence. For all we know, Eli and Peyton Manning get drunk every Monday night and beat their wives but do it in private. In my case, as a child I watched my favorite players on the field then forgot about them until next Sunday. Joe Namath? I liked to watch him on the field when I was eight or so but I couldn't tell you one other thing about him.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 08:48 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
Rice was convicted of a misdemeanor
Rice was convicted of nothing, ever so far as I know. One arrest, no convictions....pretty good for a 28 year old black man.
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 08:54 pm
@engineer,
Engineer equating abuse based on having no self-control, which could have killed someone... to jaywalking and speeding.

Fools always trying to protect the fool's game.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 08:55 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Quote:
Engineer equating abuse based on having no self-control, which could have killed someone... to jaywalking and speeding.
Jaywalking and speed can and does kill people.

You are not as smart as you think you are.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 08:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
Of course they do, but what you don't get is that Rice's actions were 100% intentional.

Jay Walking is dangerous, but it's nothing remotely close to intentionally beating someone up like that. In fact, cops giving chase are far more dangerous than any Jay Walking or Speeding. And how often do you hear Jay Walking causing death on the news?

The fact you don't understand that you're comparing the shadow of an apple to the shadow of an orange truly reveals how desperate you all are at preserving this "American Dream", when you wouldn't know what that is, with your head stuck up your ass. Maybe you should actually worry about the well-being of our PEOPLE, instead of our FUTURE.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 10:46 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Quote:
Of course they do, but what you don't get is that Rice's actions were 100% intentional.

Says who? If his brain had been employed he was likely to remember that almost all elevators have cameras in them, and that clearly did not happen. This might have been instinct and muscle memory, this might be how his body has been trained to react when someone, anyone, attacks him.....and make no mistake Janay attacked him. My wife was a soldier for 26 years, I know about training to fight so that thinking time is not needed.

Quote:
Maybe you should actually worry about the well-being of our PEOPLE, .
I tend to believe that the people have a better chance of good well being if the capitalists and the government (now much the same thing) don't have too much power over us. I am seriously alarmed by how much of our freedom to be free from capitalist and government control has withered over my lifetime. This is more of the same....."behave as you are told or you cant work" regardless of a persons standing with the justice system is a bad place for this nation to be. I was reading someone say today that having the universities pass down judgment and alleged justice on sexual conflicts is not ideal but it has to be done because the justice system is too broke to deal with the situation. EXCUSE ME! Then fix the ******* justice system, don be giving another job to the universities which have proven over decades to be very inept at doing their day job (Education in case you don't remember).

Make no mistake, in my evaluation the capitalists and the government come away being much more dangerous to me and my loved ones than do rapists (who are often now simply people who operate on a lower level of consent than the government demands) and intimate partner abusers.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 10:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
The man (animal) dragged her like a rag doll. Man (people who can think; feel; sympathize; relate; understand error; understand control), does not apply to Rice.

Yes, I too am against capitalism and power - INCLUDING YOUR MILITARY PRIDE. Nobody in this world was born into this world to be angry **** heads who treat life like stone, instead of water - when water is what allows everything to flow in the first place. A person of water dealing with an animal of stone takes YEARS to break apart their rock, before life can be green again, instead of GREY.

So yes, everything is fucked up - BUT DON'T TRY TO EXCLUDE YOUR OWN MILITARY HISTORY, WHEN IT'S A PART OF THE **** STORM.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 10:58 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/ray-rice-cartoon.jpg?w=1000
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 11:01 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Quote:
The man (animal) dragged her like a rag doll.

I am not aware of another way for one person to move an unconscious person. I am also not aware of any reason why leaving her in the elevator would have been a better move in her regard than moving her outside of the elevator.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 11:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
I really don't understand your inference, Hawk.

This does not apply to your discussion or my discussion, as the NFL took away Rice's job, instead of aiding Rice.

So the picture is some sort of irony, or what?
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 11:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
Body language, Hawk. He did not show any emotion or sympathy when moving her. He jerked her around, instead of moving her around. Didn't even pick her up for ****'s sake, Hawk.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 11:11 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
One Eyed Mind wrote:

Body language, Hawk. He did not show any emotion or sympathy when moving her. He jerked her around, instead of moving her around. Didn't even pick her up for ****'s sake, Hawk.

My read is that at the moment he was still pissed off with her for driving this situation, that the last thing he wanted was an altercation but she pushed and pushed till he snapped. He was probably also plenty pissed that she did this in public.

As it turned out he had a right to be, it has cost him a lot.

Have you never been pissed with a mate? Have you ever had a mate? It usually takes a bit of time to blow over, before we think rationally again.

http://www.romanceneverdies.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/form-of-insanity.jpg

Love and hate are very close to being the same thing, indifference is the opposite of love, and while you read his actions as indifference I read them as the actions of a pissed off man.
firefly

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 11:14 pm
@engineer,
I don't think we can compare professional athletes to factory workers, or salesmen, or to the average working Joe. These people are celebrities, and part of their celebrity involves a loss of privacy in their private lives, particularly when it involves criminal transgressions that receive wide attention in the media. That is the price of fame.

Rice not only has a personal image to protect, an image that helps to get sponsors and endorsements, and to sell merchandise and autographs that bear his name, his image and brand also reflects on, and affects, his team, and the NFL as a whole. And anything he does to tarnish his personal image, as he has done, has a ripple effect that damages the business interests of his team and the NFL. That's also the price of fame.

There may be many other NFL players who engage in domestic abuse, but they do so undetected, in a private situation, and they don't have the irrefutable evidence of their criminal violence recorded on a surveillance video that the media replays constantly, and that will forever remain accessible on the internet. It's the concrete evidence of his own behavior--violently punching his partner out cold, then dragging her unconscious body out of the elevator like a sack of potatoes--that is tarnishing Rice's image beyond repair, at least for the immediate future.

It is difficult to see how Rice is not a major liability to the NFL right now, particularly since they seem plagued with continuing instances of domestic abuse among players. Right now, I think they are dealing with 4 cases, including Adrian Peterson's child abuse allegations. Given that irrefutable, and extremely disturbing, video evidence, how could the NFL not make a strong example of Rice by doling out the harshest punishment possible? Either they are serious about confronting and dealing with domestic violence among their players or they are not. It's that video that really made Rice's case a game changer. There is no way of putting that genie back in the bottle, no way of erasing those images from the public consciousness. That too is the price of fame.

I do think that youngsters glorify and look up to these celebrity professional athletes. And I feel these athletes need to behave in a way that presents a positive role model to these young fans--being a good football player is not more important than being a decent human being--at the very least, someone who doesn't harm or endanger others through illegal acts like domestic violence, or child abuse, or sexual assault, or drunk driving. And, unfortunately, many of those young fans have also likely seen Rice's elevator video.

I don't think the criminal justice system handled this case well--an assault this serious should not have merited the leniency of a pre-trial diversion program, which is little more than a slap on the wrist, and which will leave Rice able to have the entire incident expunged from his record. Particularly in light of the video tape evidence, Rice deserved a criminal conviction, and it's hard to believe his celebrity status didn't play a role in helping him to avoid one.

I'm not worried about Rice being unemployed, he's already been paid $22 million for the portion of his contract when he was playing, so he won't be applying for food stamps anytime soon. I'm more concerned about possible undetected brain damage his partner might have sustained when he knocked her out cold.

One Eyed Mind

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 11:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawk, people don't let others irritate them - people let themselves get irritated.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS PSYCHOLOGY? YES OR NO?

Rice did not control himself - Rice did not even find himself after he lost control. There's a difference between moving someone around like you made a huge fucked up mistake, and moving them around like *sniff* *sniff* "******* bitch, I am an animal, and I own you whore".

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 11:19 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
I don't think we can compare professional athletes to factory workers, or salesmen, or to the average working Joe. These people are celebrities, and part of their celebrity involves a loss of privacy in their private lives, particularly when it involves criminal transgressions that receive wide attention in the media. That is the price of fame.

the same rules apply the journeyman NFL min wage players that almost never play and that almost no one knows the name of.

This dog won't hunt.

Quote:
and it's hard to believe his celebrity status didn't play a role in helping him to avoid one.
More likely it was his money that made the difference. People with money are much more difficult for the state to manhandle because they can afford a good legal team. The state is then forced to come up with evidence and stuff, and it takes a lot of time to handle the case, which state workers dont have a lot of in a system designed to force citizens to take their punishment without trials (plea deal lottery). This was a crime that upon conviction does not normally warrant jail time, this was not a good use of resources for the state, and once he rejected the plea deal it was very clear that the state was going to have to invest a lot of time and money into getting a guy for a minor crime that could only result in minor punishment.
firefly

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 11:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

the same rules apply the journeyman NFL min wage players that almost never play and that almost no one knows the name of.

I agree. And they shouldn't be allowed to get away with reprehensible illegal behaviors either.
Quote:

More likely it was his money that made the difference. People with money are much more difficult for the state to manhandle because they can afford a good legal team. The state is then forced to come up with evidence and stuff, and it takes a lot of time to handle the case...

How much more evidence does the state need beyond a video tape of the actual crime? This was a slam dunk for the state. Nothing his now wife did in that elevator justifies a person of his physical strength punching her at all, let alone punching her hard enough to knock her out cold.

He did not merit a pass from the criminal justice system.

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 11:29 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:

I agree. And they shouldn't be allowed to get away with reprehensible illegal behaviors either.

Take your beef up with the justice system, not the employers of those who commit acts that you dont approve of.

OH thats right, at almost every turn you are found to be defending the justice system, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that it is currently jacked up.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 11:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
The justice system:

Lets not fix it, we will just use assorted work arounds to get the people that we want to get, like having employers and universities administer "justice" (AKA punishment) .

Drunk

America 2014.....we be fucked up and lazy!
One Eyed Mind

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 11:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
Well then,

Hawk thinks Rice deserves another chance,

and Firefly thinks the legal system is fine.

I am going to enjoy this, because when you see it from bird's eye view (no pun intended), both blind spots will lead to the same center of delusion.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 11:36 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Quote:
Hawk thinks Rice deserves another chance,
almost every human deserves another chance. I am not an advocate of having disposable citizens.

Am I the last man standing who believes in redemption?