ray53

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 03:24 pm
Last week I’m afraid to say, I checked my wife’s Facebook account. I am not a facebook user, but found the activity log screen. I found that over the last two years she has been searching for her old boyfriends. One in particular, her first boyfriend (FB) several times. Although hurt I can kind of understand the curiosity of this. She claims she never contacted any of them, although I did see a friend request to one ex although the link was to another person of the same name. She claims this was not intentional and must have happened by accident.
There is one one issue I am struggling to come to terms with. She claims she has never contacted her FB since they last met 26 years ago (we have been married 20 years.)
On one day she searched for her FB. Then a minute later she shared a photo of herself (one in which all her friends agree she looks v pretty) on her newspage/timeline (whatever it’s called) for all to see-she had a public profile at that time. One minute later she searched for her FB again. She claims there is no connection between these actions but they all happened within 2 minutes of each other.
To me it looks like the photo of her was put there so he could see it, but I’m not sure how this was achieved. I’m not a facebook user but these actions all happening straight after each other seem too much of a coincidence. i.e 12.18 - You search for someone, 12.19 you share a picture of yourself, 12.20 you search for the same person again ?!
I’m assuming (as she has always claimed) she can’t have been a friend with him at this time as she wouldn’t have had to search for him.
Can you contact/communicate on facebook (send photos) without having to be friends ?
Any Facebook experts out there that think they know what was happening here (please no wise cracks, I have already thought of them)
To be fair, later in the day she did share more photos of our children but these were to a Group of ex work friends and they were sent securely to that work group.

jespah

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 05:15 pm
@ray53,
You can contact nearly anyone on Facebook, through Facebook, long as you aren't being actively blocked. However, if you are not friends, your private messages will be binned into what's called the "Other" folder. Most people don't check theirs too often. It's mainly considered to be the equivalent of a spam folder.

As for your wife's motivations, you know her far better than any of us ever would. Her explanation? I dunno if it's plausible. BTW, I'm married for 22+ years and have searched for exes, and am even FB friends with a few. For me, it was just to see what had happened to people I had known, and cared about. Whether the same is true for your wife is unknown.

PS Don't snoop in her account anymore.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 05:29 pm
@ray53,
I never really understand the problem with this sort of thing.

Boyfriend includes the word friend. I was friends with some former boyfriends before they were boyfriends, and I am still real-life friends with some and FB friends with some who live far away. They are friends, for Pete's sake.

I've been friends with one former boyfriend for just under 40 years now. He's part of the texture of my life. I can't imagine anyone having a problem with us still being friends.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 06:03 pm
@ray53,
How is your relationship with your wife? Are you happy? Is she? If she's putting things on FB she'd rather you not see then she's less happy than you think she is. If you're looking (deeply, I may add) into her FB activity then you're less happy than you think you are.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 06:53 pm
I've been married over 20 years, and have searched for all my former boyfriends, as well as my ex-husband.

No romantic reason, just curious what has happened with them over the last 25 plus years since I saw any of them.

I also search for women I've known, former co-workers, relatives etc etc.

Have you looked to see if she's looked for any of these? Could it be you're just focusing in on particular relationships?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 08:11 am
Yeah, I've also looked for former girlfriends online, not just on facebook. I've chatted with them, friended them and my wife has no problem with that. I have no problem with her contacting former boyfriends. It is called trust. We trust each other totally. Seems that is kinda missing in your relationship for some reason.
chai2

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 08:54 am
@CoastalRat,
Actually CR, I don't do facebook. I just looked online.

Still, no big deal.
0 Replies

Zeurich

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 07:32 am
@ray53,
What you are doing on your wife's FB any way? Is not that kind of spying? I don't trust FB now days. That book make more issues between innocent people.
0 Replies