Nicotine hazards?

fishin

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 12:17 pm
I caught a brief clip on the radio this morning saying that a new study had come out showing that Nicotine itself in tobacco is item that leads to lung cancer. There was a study conducted and supposedly they found that people who have never smoked but used a nicotine patches end up at the same risk for lung cancer as smokers. The conclusion was that the nicotine itself triggers lung cancer, not other ingredients in cigarette smoke as has been previouly pushed.

Did anyone else hear anything on this? Has anyone seen anything on this supposed report?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,092 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 01:31 pm
Haven't heard this, but if true, the pharmaceutical companies that market those patches are gonna have a cow...Then again, if the patches really do wean folks from cigs so that eventually they don't even need the patches, I guess it won't be too bad...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 01:50 pm
Yep! If true it would cause a rethinking of the whole tobacco issue. I found reports back in 1999 where the Americian Cancer Soc. said specifically that Nicotine DIDN'T cause cancer and then some from 2000 where the BBC reported the Nicotine was tied directly to SOME lung cancers. If this latest is accurate then we have a 180 degree shift on nicotine/lung cancer in just the last few years.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 01:57 pm
Makes me wonder if nicotine-free ciggies will one day be the norm. It'd be a bit like alcohol-free beer though.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 02:22 pm
Thanks fishin just what I needed to know in my stuggle to stop smoking.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 02:40 pm
So, that would mean that second-hand smoke doesn't cause lung cancer as the nicotine is mostly inhaled by the smoker and all those fruitcakes are making me smoke outside and abandon my drink for NOTHING???!!!!

The creeps! They'll hear about this. Confused

Makes me so angry, I need a Marlboro........
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 02:43 pm
Did a search - there's all kinds of articles, didn't look long enough to see if there was a recently published study.

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=nicotine+and+lung+cancer
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 03:59 pm
jessh..ill take a cowboy killer myself Sugar..and dangit...if this is true Im bringin the ashtray back to work for the desk....its winter dagnabbit
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 04:49 pm
OSHA Standards for Contact

The OSHA regs for workers in and around the production of tobacco are huge because nicotine is so poisonous.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 05:09 pm
I heard something on the radio the other day. It seems that cats who live with smokers have a double whammy. They breathe in the second hand smoke. Additionally, they lick their fur, on which carcinogenic particles have settled. The report stated that cats who live with smokers have a higher rate of lymphoma than cats who live with non-smokers!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 05:34 pm
It's all news to me, but doesn't surprise me at all. I knew that pets of smokers are at risk. I'm still trying to quit and in the mean time I limit my smoking to going outside when it's nice out and in the bathroom when it's not. The bathroom door is kept closed at all times.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 11:27 am
I caught this story again on CNN Headline News last night but there is no link to it on their WWW page.

In the clip last night they said that "normaly" the other ingredients in cigarette smoke are picked up by cells in the lungs and when the cell detects the foreign substance they comit "cell suicide". Apparently this latest study proves that nicotine interrupts that process and the cells don't comit suicide. In the end the calls amass and become cancerous leading to lung cancer.

Cell suicide? Whoodathunk that? I wonder if they hang themselves or if they throw themselves off of a brige. I'd never heard of such a thing. Amazing the stuff that happens inside us.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 11:57 am
Cellsuicide..Im thinking its probably more akin to spontaneous combustion...with a triger, of course
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 12:34 pm
fishin'
Why would anyone who never smoked use a nicotine patch. Is there another use for it other than to stop smoking ?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 12:59 pm
au - I've heard of a few kids buying them to get their heart racing - sort of a legal "boost" I suppose but for the most part I'd guess they are used by people trying to quit smoking. The point of the original story though is that the makers and the AMA have been telling people they can stay on teh patch or chew the nicotine gum basicly forever.. That there is no danger in that.

Nicotine is also found in other plants besides just tobacco. It's in eggplants and tomatoes too! It has also been used by itself as a medical treatment for brain disorders.

The other side of this is that it may alter how the medical establishment goes about chasing after lung cancer cures and the tobacco industry makes cigarettes in the future. If there was no nicotine in cigraettes would smokers still be as suseptiable to cancer? If science could reverse the process nicotine has on the lungs could they cure/prevent lung cancer in smokers? Lots of possibilities from one small finding.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 02:21 pm
So first your going to tell me I can't smoke inside, now you want to take the nicotine out of them?

Sadist.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 03:39 pm
Or put something in them that counteracts the effects of nicotine... All the fun, none of the punishment later! Smile
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 04:14 pm
They should try that with gin too. Maybe pre-treat the juniper berries or something......hhhhhmmmmm.....
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 04:39 pm
Gin doesn't have any bad effects! lol
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 04:45 pm
What are the constituents in the patch, besides nicotine.

Remember caeffine causes mutations in bacteria and has been speculated to be carcinogenic in humans. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies