House Minority Leader Blasts Bush; GOP Fires Back

McGentrix

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 11:08 am
nimh wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
"He is not up to the job. This is not a moral judgment, but a practical one. The world is too complex and dangerous for the pious simplicities and arrogant unilateralism of George W. Bush."

The "Communist" Financial Times

https://registration.ft.com/registration/sub/barrier.jsp?location=http://search.ft.com:80/search/article.html%3Fid%3D040512000157&resource=ftarc

So, Tarantulas, McGentrix, Sofia ... does that mean you are outraged at the Financial Times now too? "Crossed the line"?

Or is it part of an opposition's member of Congress' job to piously refrain from expressing opinions that even stiff-upper-lip business papers come straight out with?

Or is "not up to the job" one of those synonyms for "incompetent" that, though it means the same thing, is OK because it somehow sounds less harsh?

Which district does the Financial Times represent and who let them become part of government?

I think you are being purposefully dense in missing the point taht was made. Or maybe you're not.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 01:49 pm
nimh wrote:
So, Tarantulas, McGentrix, Sofia ... does that mean you are outraged at the Financial Times now too? "Crossed the line"?

I've never read the Financial Times before today, so I'm not angry at them. I've never heard of that author, and what he writes seems to be of little value since it's so dishonest. My problem is with Nancy Pelosi, an elected official, verbally attacking our President. That's wrong.

Some of the things the author writes are just silly:

Martin Wolf wrote:
I am also neither hostile to Republican administrations nor opposed to the use of force.

You lie.

Martin Wolf wrote:
I preferred Richard Nixon to George McGovern in 1972 and George Bush Snr to Michael Dukakis in 1988.

Oh yeah, I'm sure you did. Rolling Eyes

Martin Wolf wrote:
This personal history is of no intrinsic importance. But if I find the Bush administration's foreign policy disturbing so must the vast majority of humanity. If I feel Tony Blair has allied the UK too closely, then sympathy for this alliance must be perilously low.

You have quite a lofty opinion of his own importance in the world, don't you? Laughing

Martin Wolf wrote:
As a result, the position of the US and so of the west is worse in significant respects than it was the day after September 11 2001.

I disagree with this, but since you don't support your statement I won't elaborate on mine.

Martin Wolf wrote:
The US was able to defeat the armies of Saddam Hussein, but a civilised occupying army cannot coerce the obedience of a population.

Since most of the Iraqi population is going on with their lives while reaping the enormous benefits of not having Saddam around any more, no coercion is necessary. There are still a few bad guys who need coercion, but their numbers are dwindling rapidly as they go to meet Allah, or whatever passes for hell in the Muslim religion.

Martin Wolf wrote:
The second error lies in its belief in the irrelevance of allies. A country containing 4% of the world's population cannot impose its will upon the world.

It's still a Coalition, not the US acting alone.

Martin Wolf wrote:
The contempt that has been shown by leading members of the administration for those who disagree with it is now matched by the hostility of those whipped by their scorn.

It's not contempt to disregard verbal attacks by the opposition. In fact, I think the administration comes off looking good for it, by not descending to the level of their opponents.

Martin Wolf wrote:
The more the US plays the unilateral bully, the more its attraction fades.

Coalition. Can you spell C-O-A-L-I-T-I-O-N? Apparently not.

Martin Wolf wrote:
A war against terrorism is as empty a slogan as one directed against crime, drugs or disease.

I disagree with this, as I do with almost everything in this article.

Martin Wolf wrote:
As David Scheffer pointed out in the Financial Times last Thursday, the behaviour of the guards at Abu Ghraib is the natural, almost the inevitable, consequence of the position in which the administration has in its pursuit of its war on terrorism put detainees.

As I point out right now, the events at Abu Ghraib were perpetrated by a small minority of soldiers and do not reflect on the vast majority of military prisons. So the above statement is ridiculous.

Martin Wolf wrote:
In the short history of the war on terrorism, only one institution has shown its effectiveness the US armed forces in "shock and awe" mode. Almost everything else, though, has been a humiliating shambles.

You, sir, are a liar.

Martin Wolf wrote:
The outcome in Iraq now looks far worse than that. The decision to wage a war of choice, not of necessity, was a great risk. It could be justified only by finding the weaponry Saddam was alleged to have held or by leaving the country, if not a Jeffersonian democracy, at least in a reasonably stable condition.

There are many other justifications for the war that have already been met. Saddam is in jail and his sons are dead and the Iraqi people are free. As for the democracy, Rome wasn't built in a day. Democracy is on its way.

Martin Wolf wrote:
The world is too complex and dangerous for the pious simplicities and arrogant unilateralism of George Bush.

And the war on terrorism is apparently too complex and hard to understand for authors like Martin Wolf.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 05:27 pm
What McG said

<except for the purposefully dense part.>
The Financial Times is not a political representative, as was our major bone of contention to begin with.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 06:53 pm
My apologies for the "So, Tarantulas, McGentrix, Sofia ... does that mean you are outraged at ..." line, btw. Cheap rhetorical stuff, bad taste.

McGentrix wrote:
nimh wrote:
Or is it part of an opposition's member of Congress' job to piously refrain from expressing opinions that even stiff-upper-lip business papers come straight out with?

Which district does the Financial Times represent and who let them become part of government?

I think you are being purposefully dense in missing the point taht was made. Or maybe you're not.

I think a Representative's job is basically to represent the political perspectives of those who voted him/her to represent them. When the judgement that a President or Prime Minister is not qualified for the job is so widespread as to be expressed by a a large majority of those voters, I don't see why their representative should somehow refrain from expressing it herself.

But then I readily admit that I've never gotten the underlying "it's unpatriotic to criticize your president in war time" argument. The more weighty the fate that's in the balance, the more vigilant we should watch our leaders - and speak up when things threaten to go way wrong. Too much at stake.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 07:07 pm
It sort of peeves me to lump our particular view in with "It's unpatriotic to criticise your President in wartime."

It is NOT unpatriotic to criticise your President in wartime.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 07:13 pm
Sorry ... I was referring to this line of argument posted here:

Tarantulas wrote:
Sofia wrote:
That's a basic difference in 'us' n 'them'. You don't call your President incompetant, especially during war. [..]

Right. It gives aid and comfort to the enemy. [..]

I think if your President is incompetent, it would be all the more important to point that out if he's busily pulling you into a disastrous war.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 07:38 pm

The author of this article is quite a talented writer and builds his case for credibility with some history that no one would argue. He then asks the reader to accept several absolutisms but provides no real evidence that they are true or correct.
http://www.businessday.co.za/bday/content/direct/1,3523,1614963-6096-0,00.html

The first being this:" However, the cold war was won not because the US had a bigger army than the Soviet Union, but because it offered a more attractive model". This is only partially true----the biggist reason was because the Soviet Union collapsed economically after Reagan forced them to spend themselves into oblivion and their UN-motivated masses would not support it.

Second was this simplistic analogy: "A war against terrorism is as empty a slogan as one directed against crime, drugs or disease." Anyone who wants to raise a family without fear of them being beheaded by some lunatic Muslim would reject this absolutism just as I do. The war against terrorism is winnable but not until the world accepts the threat as real.

The author does illuminate some good points and this is just one example:
"Iraq is not another Vietnam. It is far more dangerous than that. While this venture was never going to be as militarily perilous as that war, this time dominoes could well fall." This does point to the seriousness of the threat.

Here is another: "Responsibility for such a failure must rest with the White House. It cannot be blamed on any subordinate department, not even the defence department. This is the president's policy and responsibility. The buck stops there". No one can deny this statement and I should imagine that no one is more aware of the fact than George Bush and he will not duck that responsibility IMO.

And last there is this: "The institutions they established and the values they upheld were the foundation of the successful US foreign policy of the postwar era. Now a task even more complex has fallen on this president. He is not up to the job.

This is not a moral judgment, but a practical one. The world is too complex and dangerous for the pious simplicities and arrogant unilateralism of George Bush."

Mr. Martin now takes his turn at inflluencing the American Election. I say "NUTS" to you Mr. Martin because the final chapter has not been written.
History will be the judge of this story----not you Mr. Martin.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 09:28 pm
Tarantulas wrote:

Quote:
"I've never read the Financial Times before today, so I'm not angry at them. I've never heard of that author, and what he writes seems to be of little value since it's so dishonest. My problem is with Nancy Pelosi, an elected official, verbally attacking our President. That's wrong."

If the man is dishonest, prove him so and cite facts that counter his claims. Do not merely argue that what he says is wrong without backing it up. After all, I can claim that you too are dishonest if the height of the bar is set at merely personal opinion.

Your argument is that as a member of the legislative branch that Pelosi has a responsibility to support the president because he is commander in chief of the armed forces.

My my, that is surely some lickspittle's rationalization for fascism and idol worship. Fascism, because there is no evidence that your remarks conform to objective reality, and idol worship because it ignores how truly Bush has screwed things up in 3 1/2 years.

Note those legendary legislative patriots, Tom DeLay and Trent Lott (who never served) and their remarks that fly in the face of your right wing need to kow tow to this president:

In 1995 Rep. Tom "The Hammer" DeLay (R-TX), House Majority Whip, warned the Clinton administration, in harshly strident tones, the perils of going into war in the Balkans due to a lack of national urgency. Later, in 2003, DeLay, and his Republican compatriots, branded such insubordination of their commander in chief tantamount to treason.

You are doing here the same thing as Delay. It stunk then. It stinks now.

Bush got us into a mess and he bears responsibility for it, not Pelosi, who points this out.

In November 1995 DeLay chided the Clinton administration stating, "President Clinton still has not gotten the message that the American people have strong reservations about sending our young men and women into an extremely dangerous situation … when our national interests are not directly threatened."
"It is neither in the President's nor the country's best interests," he continued, "to forge ahead with a plan to send United States troops to Bosnia without the full support of the American people through their representatives."

"Congress has a duty to exercise its power of the purse when it feels the President is making a grave mistake," DeLay concluded.

In October 2002 the House of Representatives was debating the wisdom of granting war-making authority to George W Bush. Jumping to the defense of Bush, DeLay passionately advocated for granting the authority to Bush that he had lobbied to withhold from Clinton. He lauded the unilateralism of Bush while chiding the pluralism of Clinton's NATO led offensive to quash ethnic cleansing in the former Yugoslavia.

As to Trent Lott?

His remarks are so two faced that I am surprised that you did not attack him for his morally relative remarks.

"How dare senator Daschle criticize president bush while we are fighting our war on terrorism especially when we have troops on the field" circa 2002

Which in relief to these in 1999 would illustrate the total lack of intellectual honesty well known to infect the right wing today.

"I can not support President Clinton and this military action in the Persian gulf at this time. Both the timing and the policy are subject to question."

In the Bizzaro world of right wing kooks and yahoos, this is what passes for patriotism, but only if it comes from the mouths of right wingers. They and only their carry Divine Providence

BTW a pop quiz for you: can you list the number of American casualties in each of those military expeditions, and lay them alongside those of the Bushevik invasion of Iraq?

At least Clinton did not get 800 American soldiers killed and 6,000 wounded, yet the GOP legislative leaders called Clinton's actions terrible.

Seems to me that Pelosi is right on target. It is Bush who has done a dreadful job of CIC, not Clinton, as your bunkies Delay and Lott said

Quote:

Martin Wolf wrote:
This personal history is of no intrinsic importance. But if I find the Bush administration's foreign policy disturbing so must the vast majority of humanity. If I feel Tony Blair has allied the UK too closely, then sympathy for this alliance must be perilously low.

Draws from you the remarkable remark :

Quote:
"You have quite a lofty opinion of his own importance in the world, don't you?"

Without a hint of recognition by you that he, as a representative example of the business class that generally supports statist military adventures places himself with the majority of world and US opinion that this Iraqi freedom War has gone awry.

Quote:

Martin Wolf wrote:
As a result, the position of the US and so of the west is worse in significant respects than it was the day after September 11 2001.

I disagree with this, but since you don't support your statement I won't elaborate on mine.

You remark flies in the face of historical fact.

How can you disagree? The day after 9/11 the entire world was in mourning with the US. Virtually every nation on Earth supported the US at that time. Traditional enemies, even Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Cuba (the Axis of evil plus one) expressed their symapthies to the American people and their support for the US to engage the terrorists that had struck the WTC. You seem to have an awfully short memory about those times, or just perhaps you don't like to admit facts that go against your ideologies.

Bush and his administration blew it. In the second week of Sept 2001 the USA had a moment in time unparalleled in world history to galvanize the world in the eradication of terrorism and its root causes. And what did Bush do? Over the next several months he squandered all that good will by distorting facts of the case about Iraq and ordering military preparations to attack a country (Iraq), that no one but a few syphilitic right wing yahoos thought were a terrorist danger to the US.

Quote:

Martin Wolf wrote:
The US was able to defeat the armies of Saddam Hussein, but a civilised occupying army cannot coerce the obedience of a population.

Since most of the Iraqi population is going on with their lives while reaping the enormous benefits of not having Saddam around any more, no coercion is necessary. There are still a few bad guys who need coercion, but their numbers are dwindling rapidly as they go to meet Allah, or whatever passes for hell in the Muslim religion.

It is standard fare with right wing fascists to use such bizarre and sweeping terms that mean nothing. Explain just what one means when they use a phrase such as "enormous benefits"

Those enormous benefits must include the facts, viz., include regular blackouts due to power outages, food and water shortages, poor medical services, no recognizable judicial system, and the chance to get picked up by the US Army and sent to that comfy hotel called Abu Ghraib.

And there we have it…….
Quote:
There are still a few bad guys who need coercion, but their numbers are dwindling rapidly as they go to meet Allah, or whatever passes for hell in the Muslim religion.

You are whistling past the graveyard there, Sparky. Still a few bad guys? I assume by your remarks on "coercion" that you mean torture "American Style." Afer all, those 40 or so Iraqis did not die from from falling down in the showers at Abu Ghraib. They were coerced too, coerced to death.

90% of the Iraqis want the US out now and blindly ignoring the facts that the Iraqi population has re-armed themselves and guerrilla attacks are on the increase is prima fascia evidence that we are by our actions in Iraq, to paraphrase the words of Rumsfield, producing new terrorists at a higher rate than we are killing or incarcerating them.

So how is that "numbers are dwindling rapidly?

Quote:

Martin Wolf wrote:
The second error lies in its belief in the irrelevance of allies. A country containing 4% of the world's population cannot impose its will upon the world.

It's still a Coalition, not the US acting alone.

Yes, point to a coalition of whom? More at the "Coalition of the Insignificant" Great Britain, and who else that is listed as one of the top GDP nations? Togo? The Poles, Spanish, and the "Fighting Hondurans" are all pulling out of the mess over there because they see no reason to stay.

Quote:

Martin Wolf wrote:
The contempt that has been shown by leading members of the administration for those who disagree with it is now matched by the hostility of those whipped by their scorn.

and your reply .....

Quote:
It's not contempt to disregard verbal attacks by the opposition. In fact, I think the administration comes off looking good for it, by not descending to the level of their opponents.

Careful there, there is a preponderance of evidence that counters that remark. This administration has viciously attacked ALL who have pulled back the curtain on the Lizards of Oz.

Remember Joseph Wilson? He's the guy whom George Herbert Walker Bush declared was a hero for his actions against Saddam in Iraq in 1991, and yet, Joe Wilson's spy wife was treasonously outed by senior White House officials,.

One would have thought that a president so willing to send Americans into harms way against "terrorists" would want anyone in his employment outing American spies out of government service asap. But apparently, not Bush.

The ex-Sect. of Treasury, Paul O'Neill, a self-made millionaire (unlike Bush) was excoriated by Bushevik operatives for telling the truth about the Busheviks and their early 2001 machinations for war with Iraq. Even one as dedicated to fighting terrorism as Richard Clark has had his patriotism attacked by co-coordinated White House and Bushevik smears.

So, your remarks are stillborn in the womb of hypocrisy.

Quote:

Martin Wolf wrote:
The more the US plays the unilateral bully, the more its attraction fades.

Coalition. Can you spell C-O-A-L-I-T-I-O-N? Apparently not.

Oh right, that's the "Coalition of the I-N-S-I-G-N-I-F-I-C-A-N-T" again. Keep repeating it, someday magic may also work.

Quote:

Martin Wolf wrote:
A war against terrorism is as empty a slogan as one directed against crime, drugs or disease.

I disagree with this, as I do with almost everything in this article.

So how then is "war against terrorism" a full slogan?

For Christ's sakes, even this past week we now have word that the Dept of Homeland Security is laying-off security workers at airports and seaports because there is no money to pay for them.

We can all agree that we should protect our airports and seaports can't we? But apparently not the Bush administration.

Empty rhetorical phrases like a "War on Terror" can't get any emptier.

Quote:

Martin Wolf wrote:
As David Scheffer pointed out in the Financial Times last Thursday, the behaviour of the guards at Abu Ghraib is the natural, almost the inevitable, consequence of the position in which the administration has in its pursuit of its war on terrorism put detainees.

As I point out right now, the events at Abu Ghraib were perpetrated by a small minority of soldiers and do not reflect on the vast majority of military prisons. So the above statement is ridiculous.

The issue is not which percentage of soldiers actually tortured detainees, but how it came to happen, and what caused it.

There is ample evidence, especially the data released by US Defense Dept. officials who testified before Congress this month, that the methods used in Iraqi prisons (now understood by the entire world to number at least three prisons run by the US Army), were transferred there from Gitmo and that the actual orders for such actions came directly as a response from Rumsfield's desire to get more intelligence data from the Iraqi detainees.

Come on Sparky, who am I to believe on this matter, you or all those US Army officials who said so these past few weeks?

Quote:

Martin Wolf wrote:
In the short history of the war on terrorism, only one institution has shown its effectiveness the US armed forces in "shock and awe" mode. Almost everything else, though, has been a humiliating shambles.

You, sir, are a liar.
Martin Wolf wrote:
The outcome in Iraq now looks far worse than that. The decision to wage a war of choice, not of necessity, was a great risk. It could be justified only by finding the weaponry Saddam was alleged to have held or by leaving the country, if not a Jeffersonian democracy, at least in a reasonably stable condition.

There are many other justifications for the war that have already been met. Saddam is in jail and his sons are dead and the Iraqi people are free. As for the democracy, Rome wasn't built in a day. Democracy is on its way.

Really now? What are they? WMD? Press cakes? Mobile biological agent factories? Al Quida ties with Iraq before the American invasion?

And now we hear of a 25 year old artillery shell that may or may not have traces of nerve gas. How convenient.

None of these are found to be true, and Bush did not call this nation to war to save Iraq for democracy. His administration always cited WMD as the "imminent" threat to the US as the causa belli for war. Cheney referred to a potential "mushroom cloud" over American cities, not a Wilsonian fervor for world democracy as cause to invade Iraq.

The other "causes" were merely window dressings. Iraqi women had more rights under Saddam than Saudi women have today. Why not invade Saudi Arabia? After all, 17 of the 19 9/11 terrorists were Saudi.

Quote:

Martin Wolf wrote:
The world is too complex and dangerous for the pious simplicities and arrogant unilateralism of George Bush.

And the war on terrorism is apparently too complex and hard to understand for authors like Martin Wolf.

Sorry, but it is you who have exhibited the lack of ability to think in a complex mode. You have bought into the jingoist meme, and you have coupled that flaw with a quite startling ability to deny the facts.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 09:43 pm
I wouldn't say Pelosi shouldn't criticise the President at all.

Actually, this was pretty good. I think you attributed it to Trent Lott:
"I can not support President < > and this military action in the < > at this time. Both the timing and the policy are subject to question."
-----
Well said. You don't say that the President of the United States is incompetant. Not if you're an American politician.

Anyway. Its a matter of manners, judgement and oath of responsibility to this nation....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 10:08 pm
Hmm - even if he IS, demonstrably, incompetent?

Let us say this is not Bush - it is a president of bilaterally accepted incompetence.

Can one say it then?

Or is one allowed to say the emperor's clothes are egregiously translucent - but not that he has none?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 10:16 pm
If a President is demonstrably incompetant--instead of politically unpopular--say he has Alzheimers. Do we expect Daschle to hold a press conference and say, "Damn! That man's incompetant."

It is damaging to a country to have these things said about their leaders.

There are appropriate ways to handle these things. For a politician to possibly create a damaging situation for their country because they don't like who's in office is low, IMO.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 10:29 pm
So - where does the attempted impeachment of Clinton - and the agonizing hours of debate and TELEVISED testimony about semen and cigars and what is and isn't sex fit?

I am actually not trying to score points here - I just find the whole what can/can't be done incomprehensible - given just these two examples as a starter.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 10:37 pm
I didn't say what 'can't'. I said it is in poor taste, partisan and selfish.

If Congress goes far enough to think impeachment is necessary--it's a much more serious matter. You can still conduct yourself in a decent manner--and address an impeachment.

Nixon's impeachment DID hurt our country. And rather than drag us through more crap--he resigned. I consider that the right thing to do.

With Clinton's impeachment, though I think he should have recieved some censure (I guess he did, he was disbarred), charges with sex at the base of it all wasn't worth dragging the country through what we went through. It did sully the office of President. But I blame Clinton more than I do those who thought he should be impeached.

I do think the charges should be more serious.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 11:20 pm
The only prohibition on speech about the president of the US is to threaten his life in which case the Secret Service will arrest you and charge you I forget the exact section of the USC Criminal law applies.

Other than that we the people including residents of other countries are free to say what we/they want and criticize any action or policy of any sitting president.

The constitution of the US was written to specifically protect the citizens of the US from government. The constitution is actually just a body of law.

The Supreme court is empowered to interpret the law of the land and to ensure that no state law is in opposition to federal law. For example: The 5th Amendment gives citizens the right to trial and to not have to testify against there self. The 6th Amendment states that no State can have any law in violation of the 5th Amendment.

That is why the House of Representative holds the purse strings (money talks). And the House members have to stand for election every two years.

The Senate is more of an advice and consent body. Although the Senate and the House can both initiate legislation nothing goes anywhere unless the House votes the funding.

The 1st Amendment is the right of free speech. It seems to me that here on A2k and in political conversations there is an attempt to modify the law which of course is silly. The law is the law and the facts are the facts.

Anyone can agree or not agree with the policy of the US government without fear. That is the main ingredient of freedom. To not agree what another persons opinion is just is that - non agreement.

However, where Clinton was concerned he was impeached by the House but not removed from office by the Senate. He lost his ticket because he admitted to lying under oath which is a violation of ethics of the State Bar into which he was admitted and not a crime.

On the other hand if Bush and his cabinet have violated actual law they will suffer the consequences as did Nixon. Of course there are still people in the US who do not believe that Nixon violated any law although a federal Grand Jury was about to issue an indictment for Nixon's criminal breeches. President Ford stepped in and pardoned Nixon in the best interests of the country.

While a number of highly placed officials of the Nixon administration were tried and convicted of the violation of the law and served time in federal prison.

I hope this makes sense as it is late I just get sick of people trying to compare Clinton to Bush. For cryin out load neither is a saint.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 03:39 am
kuvasz wrote:
If the man is dishonest, prove him so and cite facts that counter his claims. Do not merely argue that what he says is wrong without backing it up. After all, I can claim that you too are dishonest if the height of the bar is set at merely personal opinion.

I maintain that my personal opinion is just as valid and believable as his. He offered no facts or references to back up what he said, so why should I?

kuvasz wrote:
Your argument is that as a member of the legislative branch that Pelosi has a responsibility to support the president because he is commander in chief of the armed forces.

Your reading comprehension is way down in the dirt here, Slick. My argument is that Pelosi needs to maintain the same amount of decorum as the rest of the legislators in Congress. None of them gets down in the mud and starts calling the President names. Ever. It just doesn't happen. At least it didn't, until now.

kuvasz wrote:
Without a hint of recognition by you that he, as a representative example of the business class that generally supports statist military adventures places himself with the majority of world and US opinion that this Iraqi freedom War has gone awry.

Not everyone marches in lock step with the liberal press's idea of what's going on in the world. And what is "the business class," anyway? Why should I care what classification you put this guy into?

kuvasz wrote:
It is standard fare with right wing fascists to use such bizarre and sweeping terms that mean nothing. Explain just what one means when they use a phrase such as "enormous benefits"

Well, what we're talking about here is salaries ten times what they were under Saddam, power and water available in places where they were cut off before, and thousands of people demonstrating in the streets against thugs like Mook Tada Al Satyr where they would not dared to have demonstrated under Saddam. I'm not sure how you missed these benefits but maybe you should pay more attention to the news.

kuvasz wrote:
You are whistling past the graveyard there, Sparky. Still a few bad guys? I assume by your remarks on "coercion" that you mean torture "American Style." Afer all, those 40 or so Iraqis did not die from from falling down in the showers at Abu Ghraib. They were coerced too, coerced to death.

You misinterpret my words in monumental fashion. The bad guys I'm talking about are the foreign fighters doing terrorist acts, and the coercion I'm talking about is KILLING THEM DEAD whenever they appear.

kuvasz wrote:
90% of the Iraqis want the US out now and blindly ignoring the facts that the Iraqi population has re-armed themselves and guerrilla attacks are on the increase is prima fascia evidence that we are by our actions in Iraq, to paraphrase the words of Rumsfield, producing new terrorists at a higher rate than we are killing or incarcerating them.

Apparently you've missed the polls that have been taken in Iraq. Most Iraqis are happy to have the Coalition there and they do not support the people who are attacking them. The Iraqis want peace in their country just like anyone else would, and they appreciate the people who are helping them attain it.

kuvasz wrote:

The terrorists are being killed off by the dozens. Their numbers are in fact dwindling rapidly.

kuvasz wrote:
Yes, point to a coalition of whom? More at the "Coalition of the Insignificant" Great Britain, and who else that is listed as one of the top GDP nations? Togo? The Poles, Spanish, and the "Fighting Hondurans" are all pulling out of the mess over there because they see no reason to stay.

You can catch a clue about how many countries are Coalition members by clicking here. I'm always happy to educate the clueless.

kuvasz wrote:

And your response is Limburger in the cheese of discourse.

kuvasz wrote:
Come on Sparky, who am I to believe on this matter, you or all those US Army officials who said so these past few weeks?

Slick, you make assertions without evidence the same as everyone else in this thread. Back up your statements with documented proof and people will believe you.

kuvasz wrote:
Sorry, but it is you who have exhibited the lack of ability to think in a complex mode. You have bought into the jingoist meme, and you have coupled that flaw with a quite startling ability to deny the facts.

Actually what I'm denying is your unsupported assertions, Slick. Show me some references for all the BS opinions you've posted and maybe I'll take notice. Otherwise, have a nice day on the strange planet where you live.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 11:44 am
Glad you showed up Sparky I was worried you were just another a typical right wing yahoo bully without any guts to engage.

Well, well, well. Decorum is what you want?

You have to be kidding. Decorum? Travel back to yesteryear when your ilk attempted to eviscerate Clinton with lies and slanders. And I just bet you're one of those mouth breathers who think Hillary Clinton had Vince Forster murdered too.

But if you want to spank someone that line had better start on the Republican side of the aisle. They are busting Bush up pretty good and also are lacking in um, "decorum" when speaking of Bush and his total lack of capabilities to be president.

But, since it is coming from the Right you have no problem with that. They are the patriots, Right? Sorry, but your remarks are yet more examples of typical irrational right wing hypocrisy.

Thus, so you can dash off a letter to them accusing them of treason as your ilk is so inclined to do when objective statements are made about your babbling idiot of a president.

Quote:
"Battered by the bad news out of Iraq, President George W. Bush decided it was time to stiffen the spines of some anxious Republicans on Capitol Hill last week. So he went to the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue and held an hour long pep rally in a basement conference room at the Capitol. Many of the 200 House and Senate Republicans in attendance emerged to say they were reassured. Tennessee Sen. Lamar Alexander called it "choir practice." But not for Chuck Hagel.

The 57-year-old Republican senator from Nebraska said the appearance by the president left more than a little to be desired. Bush "talked for an hour and did not take a single question," says Hagel. "He didn't listen, and I think this president needs to listen more. If he had taken questions he would have heard some things that might have been helpful."

The comments were vintage Hagel--calmly stated but brutally frank and increasingly troubling to an unsteady White House. Fellow Vietnam War veteran John McCain has long been the chief maverick among Senate Republicans, but it is Hagel, with his lower profile and sober demeanor, who may now be emerging as a more potent symbol of the angst that congressional Republicans are feeling over the direction of the war in Iraq--and its political consequences.

Hagel, who also sits on the Intelligence Committee, says that Bush "may be more isolated than any president in recent memory" and therefore susceptible to faulty advice. Much of that advice, Hagel says, has come from Vice President Dick Cheney, Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, and former Pentagon official Richard Perle. But the problem, in Hagel's view, was compounded by the president's lack of foreign-policy experience.

"I think you've got a president who is not schooled, educated, experienced in foreign policy in any way, versus his father," Hagel says. "I think he was philosophically, intellectually more in tune with the neoconservatives'approach to 'let's go get them, and we'll worry about it later.'

And in Hagel's view, the administration in paying the price for being a bit too sure of itself before the war began. "I have always believed that a good, healthy dose of humility is the best prescription for anything that ails you politically," he says. "In this business of govern-ing there are so many uncontrollables . . . and when those uncontrollables occur you are going to need friends, you're going to need some margins to govern. If you're arrogant, or are perceived as arrogant, you have no margin. And the first time you slip or stumble . . . then it'll be disastrous for you."

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/040531/usnews/31hagel.htm

It's that
Quote:
'let's go get them, and we'll worry about it later
that worries Democrats, reasonable Republicans and the rest of the civilized world.

But not you right wingers. You clowns think you and Bush have God on your side, and worry about the details, well, never.

That has been Bush's modus operendi for his entire life. **** things up and leave it to others to fix things. And this from a man who preaches "personal responsibility?"

But hold on there, now we switch to that wild eyed radical commie, Richard Luger (R, IN) a senator with more foreign policy experience in his excrement than Bush has and will ever have.

Quote:
In a broadside against the Bush administration, Republican Sen. Richard G. Lugar on Saturday said the U.S. isn't doing enough diplomatically to stave off terrorist attacks and chided the president for failing to offer concrete plans for Iraq's future.

Lugar said he hasn't seen any plans for the makeup of the new Iraqi government, even though the administration intends to transfer political control of the country to the Iraqis in little over a month.

It's still unclear how much control the Iraqi people will have over the security of the nation as of the June 30 transfer, or how roughly $18.4 billion in reconstruction money will be distributed, the Indiana Republican said.

''I am very hopeful that the president and his administration will articulate precisely what is going to happen as much as they can, day by day, as opposed to a generalization,'' Lugar said at an appearance at the Fletcher School at Tufts University.

Bush must offer those specifics when he addresses the issue during the next week in a concrete plan that wins the approval of the international community, he said.

http://www.boston.com/dailynews/143/region/Lugar_critical_of_president

Now on to your offal-like spin:
Quote:

kuvasz wrote:

Quote:

Not everyone marches in lock step with the liberal press's idea of what's going on in the world. And what is "the business class," anyway? Why should I care what classification you put this guy into?

Still with the boogieman of a so-called -liberal-media? More likely that you can't stand the truth because it undermines that dipsy doodle world you guys live in.

And apparently the US Army can't either, since this week the brass has ordered that neither the BBC nor NPR are to be broadcast to the troops in Iraq.

Quote:

kuvasz wrote:
You are whistling past the graveyard there, Sparky. Still a few bad guys? I assume by your remarks on "coercion" that you mean torture "American Style." After all, those 40 or so Iraqis did not die from falling down in the showers at Abu Ghraib. They were coerced too, coerced to death.

Quote:
You misinterpret my words in monumental fashion. The bad guys I'm talking about are the foreign fighters doing terrorist acts, and the coercion I'm talking about is KILLING THEM DEAD whenever they appear.

I misinterpreted nothing. You did not state nationality as a qualifying adjective to define whom you want to torture, maim, and kill.

BTW: since when has coercion referred to killing anyone? Is that in the Freeper lexicon now?
Quote:

kuvasz wrote:

Quote:
Apparently you've missed the polls that have been taken in Iraq. Most Iraqis are happy to have the Coalition there and they do not support the people who are attacking them. The Iraqis want peace in their country just like anyone else would, and they appreciate the people who are helping them attain it.

Evidence you want, evidence you shall have.

IRAQI POLL RESULTS....A new poll has just been completed in Iraq and the results are not good

http://www.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1084907692167&p=1012571727102
(You can get a free 15 day trial of this site so you can read the entire article)

The poll was conducted by the one-year-old Iraq Center for Research and Strategic Studies, which is considered reliable enough for the US-led Coalition Provisional Authority to have submitted questions to be included in the study.

....Saadoun Duleimi, head of the centre, said more than half of a representative sample - comprising 1,600 Shia, Sunni Arabs and Kurds polled in all Iraq's main regions - wanted coalition troops to leave Iraq. This compares with about 20 per cent in an October survey. Some 88 per cent of respondents said they now regarded coalition forces in Iraq as occupiers.

....Respondents saw [Muqtada al] Sadr as Iraq's second most influential figure after Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, the country's most senior Shia cleric. Some 32 per cent of respondents said they strongly supported Mr Sadr and another 36 per cent somewhat supported him.

68% of the country supports Sadr? And this was before any of the Abu Ghraib pictures were released.

Well, it doesn't appear that the thrust of your argument is true. But of course both of us knew that as soon as you opened your mouth.

Quote:

kuvasz wrote:

Quote:
The terrorists are being killed off by the dozens. Their numbers are in fact dwindling rapidly.

And you can produce evidence that is so? Seems you have not shown that and since you have insisted on evidence from others, you should at least do what you demand of others. And I remind you that your hero Rumsfeld has already stated that the Americans are in danger of producing more indigenous Iraqi terrorists than the Americans can, as you so euphemistically put it, "coerce" them.

And the evidence is linked for you below:

The two-page memo, dated Oct. 16, was addressed to Rumsfeld's top aides: the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Richard Myers; the vice chairman, Gen. Pete Pace; Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz; and Undersecretary of Defense Douglas Feith. Here are some key passages:

"It is pretty clear that the coalition can win in Afghanistan and Iraq in one way or another, but it will be a long, hard slog."

"My impression is that we have not yet made truly bold moves [in the war on terrorism]."

"We are having mixed results with [tracking down] Al-Qaida. … With respect to the Ansar Al-Islam, we are just getting started."

"It is not possible to change DoD fast enough to successfully fight the global war on terror; an alternative might be to try to fashion a new institution either within DoD or elsewhere."

"Today, we lack metrics to know if we are winning or losing the global war on terror. Are we capturing, killing or deterring and dissuading more terrorists every day than the madrassas and the radical clerics are recruiting, training and deploying against us?"

"Does the US need to fashion a broad, integrated plan to stop the next generation of terrorists? The US is putting relatively little effort into a long-range plan, but we are putting a great deal of effort into trying to stop terrorists. The cost-benefit ratio is against us! Our cost is billions against the terrorists' costs of millions."

"How do we stop those who are financing the radical madrassa schools? Is our current situation such that 'the harder we work, the behinder we get'? ... Should we create a private foundation to entice radical madrassas to a more moderate course?"

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/executive/rumsfeld-memo.htm

How nice. It can be summed up as follows: We'll probably win the battle for Afghanistan and Iraq (or, more precisely, it's "pretty clear" we "can win" it, "in one way or another" after "a long, hard slog"), but we're losing the struggle for hearts and minds in the broader war against terrorism. Not only that, we don't know how to measure winning or losing, we don't have a plan for winning it, we don't know how to fashion a plan, and the bureaucratic agencies put in charge of waging this war and drawing up these plans may be inherently incapable of doing so.

This is why Pelosi, a Democratic House leader, Hagel, a conservative Republican senator, Lugar, another conservative Republican senator, and Mccain, yet another conservative Republican senator all are saying that Bush is in over his head and it is hurting the nation.

And both Hagel and Mccain are war heroes from Viet Nam, so they know a little more about war than Bush, whose idea of going to war is that [he] "raised two teenaged girls."

Quote:

kuvasz wrote:

Quote:
You can catch a clue about how many countries are Coalition members by clicking here. I'm always happy to educate the clueless.

Ah yes, again the COALITION of the I-N-S-I-G-N-I-F-I-C-A-N-T?
50 countries. Only 4 which are in the top 15 nations as defined by GDP, the second largest, Japan ($3.9T) has sent no fighting troops, and the fourth, Italy will in all likelihood see its current government fall due to its support of Bush, just like in Spain.

The population of Coalition countries is approximately 1.23 billion people. …and that is merely equivalent to either China or India, both of whom are against this war.

Coalition countries have a combined GDP of approximately $22 trillion.
Ah GDP again? Good, for after the US ($11T), Japan ($4T), Great Britain ($2.1T), and Italy ($1.9T) you are left with such economic & political powerhouses like, gee

Afghanistan,
Albania
Angola,
Australia,
Azerbaijan
Bulgaria,
Colombia,
Costa Rica,
Czech Republic,
Denmark ,
Dominican Republic,
El Salvador,
Eritrea,
Estonia,
Ethiopia,
Georgia,
Honduras,
Hungary,
Iceland,
Kuwait,
Latvia,
Lithuania,
Macedonia,
Marshall Islands,
Micronesia,
Mongolia,
Netherlands,
Nicaragua,
Palau,
Panama,
Philippines,
Poland,
Portugal
Romania,
Rwanda,
Singapore,
Slovakia,
Solomon Islands,
South Korea,
Spain,
Tonga,
Turkey,
Uganda,
Ukraine,
Uzbekistan

Other than the US and Great Britain, there is not a single nation with more than a few dozen troops in Iraq. So who's fooling whom here?

It is high deceit to point to such a coalition as one in which the entire world is united in support of America's war efforts in Iraq. In fact, most of the money and people in the world are against this adventure.

Where are Canada and Mexico, our closest neighbors? Where is China, India, Brazil, Germany, France, Nigeria, South Africa, Russia, or Indonesia?

These nations alone have 3 times the population, and a higher sum GDP than mentioned as that of the COALITION of the I-N-S-I-G-N-I-F-I-C-A-N-T.

The Eritreans can't even feed themselves and the Macedonians haven't done anything since Alexander the Great rushed Asia Minor 23 centuries ago.

Christ, to even mention Palau, Micronesia, the Marshall Islands, Tonga, and the Solomon Islands as fighting coalition members, all of which are sinking beneath the Pacific Ocean due to global warming, is black comedy at best.

Quote:

kvass wrote:

Quote:

And your response is Limburger in the cheese of discourse.

Sorry, but you lose the contest of witty metaphors with that one, Sparky. At least mine had a touch of style.

Quote:
kuvasz wrote:Come on Sparky, who am I to believe on this matter, you or all those US Army officials who said so these past few weeks?

Quote:
Slick, you make assertions without evidence the same as everyone else in this thread. Back up your statements with documented proof and people will believe you.

Okeydokey, fair enough, but i dont see yu linking too many sources here abouts.

Quote:
Taguba, in his report: "Unfortunately, many of the systemic problems that surfaced during [Ryder's] assessment are the very same issues that are the subject of this investigation," he wrote. "In fact, many of the abuses suffered by detainees occurred during, or near to, the time of that assessment." The report continued, "Contrary to the findings of MG Ryder's report, I find that personnel assigned to the 372nd MP Company, 800th MP Brigade were directed to change facility procedures to 'set the conditions' for MI interrogations." Army intelligence officers, C.I.A. agents, and private contractors "actively requested that MP guards set physical and mental conditions for favorable interrogation of witnesses."

As the international furor grew, senior military officers, and President Bush, insisted that the actions of a few did not reflect the conduct of the military as a whole. Taguba's report, however, amounts to an unsparing study of collective wrongdoing and the failure of Army leadership at the highest levels. The picture he draws of Abu Ghraib is one in which Army regulations and the Geneva conventions were routinely violated, and in which much of the day-to-day management of the prisoners was abdicated to Army military-intelligence units and civilian contract employees. Interrogating prisoners and getting intelligence, including by intimidation and torture, was the priority.

Under the fourth Geneva convention, an occupying power can jail civilians who pose an "imperative" security threat, but it must establish a regular procedure for insuring that only civilians who remain a genuine security threat be kept imprisoned. Prisoners have the right to appeal any internment decision and have their cases reviewed. Human Rights Watch complained to Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld that civilians in Iraq remained in custody month after month with no charges brought against them. Abu Ghraib had become, in effect, another Guantánamo.

http://www.thinkingpeace.com/pages/arts2/arts191.html

The Army Times reported on May 17, 2004:

Quote:
"House and Senate members are also focusing on the role of Army Maj. Gen. Geoffrey Miller, who was so effective at eliciting useful information from terrorism suspects at the U.S. detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, that he was named last month to run U.S. prisons in Iraq. It was Miller who recommended last September that military intelligence officials have command over prisons and prison guards to improve the intelligence gleaned from interrogations."

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2923919.php

"According to the report cited below by Gen. Taguba, Miller's team, using Guantánamo "procedures and interrogation authorities as baselines," advocated using detention operations as "an enabler for interrogation," and insisted that "the guard force be actively engaged in setting the condition for the successful exploitation of internees."

http://www.counterpunch.org/taguba05052004.html

Quote:
"American and Coalition forces knew little about the insurgency: "Human intelligence is poor or lacking . . . due to the dearth of competence and expertise. . . . The intelligence effort is not coördinated since either too many groups are involved in gathering intelligence or the final product does not get to the troops in the field in a timely manner." The success of the war was at risk; something had to be done to change the dynamic.

"The solution, endorsed by Rumsfeld and carried out by Stephen Cambone, was to get tough with those Iraqis in the Army prison system who were suspected of being insurgents. A key player was Major General Geoffrey Miller, the commander of the detention and interrogation center at Guantánamo, who had been summoned to Baghdad in late August to review prison interrogation procedures. The internal Army report on the abuse charges, written by Major General Antonio Taguba in February, revealed that Miller urged that the commanders in Baghdad change policy and place military intelligence in charge of the prison. The report quoted Miller as recommending that "detention operations must act as an enabler for interrogation."

"Miller's concept, as it emerged in recent Senate hearings, was to "Gitmoize" the prison system in Iraq-to make it more focussed on interrogation. He also briefed military commanders in Iraq on the interrogation methods used in Cuba-methods that could, with special approval, include sleep deprivation, exposure to extremes of cold and heat, and placing prisoners in "stress positions" for agonizing lengths of time. (The Bush Administration had unilaterally declared Al Qaeda and other captured members of international terrorist networks to be illegal combatants, and not eligible for the protection of the Geneva Conventions.)

"Rumsfeld and Cambone went a step further, however: they expanded the scope of the sap, bringing its unconventional methods to Abu Ghraib. The commandos were to operate in Iraq as they had in Afghanistan. The male prisoners could be treated roughly, and exposed to sexual humiliation.

"They weren't getting anything substantive from the detainees in Iraq," the former intelligence official told me. "No names. Nothing that they could hang their hat on. Cambone says, I've got to crack this thing and I'm tired of working through the normal chain of command. I've got this apparatus set up-the black special-access program-and I'm going in hot. So he pulls the switch, and the electricity begins flowing last summer. And it's working. We're getting a picture of the insurgency in Iraq and the intelligence is flowing into the white world. We're getting good stuff. But we've got more targets"-prisoners in Iraqi jails-"than people who can handle them."

"Cambone then made another crucial decision, the former intelligence official told me: not only would he bring the sap's rules into the prisons; he would bring some of the Army military-intelligence officers working inside the Iraqi prisons under the sap'sauspices. "So here are fundamentally good soldiers-military-intelligence guys-being told that no rules apply," the former official, who has extensive knowledge of the special-access programs, added. "And, as far as they're concerned, this is a covert operation, and it's to be kept within Defense Department channels."

http://truthout.org/docs_04/051604A.shtml

Quote:

kuvasz wrote:

Quote:

Actually what I'm denying is your unsupported assertions, Slick. Show me some references for all the BS opinions you've posted and maybe I'll take notice. Otherwise, have a nice day on the strange planet where you live

See above, Sparky….and don't choke on a pretzel.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 03:23 pm
The terrorists and liberal Democrats are in no way allies but they share a common goal: they both want GWB brought down, humiliated, embarrassed, shamed, destroyed, and out of office.

You can be certain the terrorists view the Democrats who slur and disrespect the President as their allies. It won't stop them from cutting Democrat throats when they get the chance, but they definitely enjoy hate rhetoric thrown at the one guy they hate the most.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:11 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
The terrorists and liberal Democrats are in no way allies but they share a common goal: they both want GWB brought down, humiliated, embarrassed, shamed, destroyed, and out of office.

You can be certain the terrorists view the Democrats who slur and disrespect the President as their allies. It won't stop them from cutting Democrat throats when they get the chance, but they definitely enjoy hate rhetoric thrown at the one guy they hate the most.

No, you can be certain the terrorists want Bush to be re-elected, because they surely understand now how weak and incompetent he is as a wartime president, and they also surely understand that Kerry -- and indeed even Nader -- Laughing -- could whip their asses much faster. Rolling Eyes

Enough of this ridiculous and bizarre ideological conjecture, Foxfyre.

Posting something as ignorant as equating terrorists and Democrats earns you the full and excoriating scorn of the forum.

Go outside and play now. The grownups are talking.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:49 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

How interesting the mind of right wingers. It's plain blather to snark about and deny that you don't associate liberals with terrorists, you do. They have a common goal and enemy according to you, George Bush. (btw, why stop there, come on say it, and dont simply imply it......"my enemy's enemy is my friend")...that's how you associate liberals with terrorists.

However, it should be noted for historical purposes only, that it was not George Bush who was attacked on 9/11, but America, and for some Godforesaken reason you think that George Bush IS America.

This really is the fascist mindset at work, equating the government's leaders as "the nation." It worked quite well for Hitler and Stalin. Let's hope not so well for Bush (and the rest of us too).

its a pretty simple equation

al quida attacked America, not George Bush.

al quida seeks to bring down, humiliate, embarrass, shame, and destroy America. They couldn't give a damn about George Bush. They want to sink the ship and could care less about its captain.

In fact, they hope for a bad captain, like George Bush is.

al quida sent audio tapes to al jezzera months ago taunting Bush and saying that they support his re-election bid, precisely because they fear that anyone else as the American president could harm them more.

How's that for a backhanded endorsement from a foe?

"Hey George, you suck so bad we want you right where you are."

Quote:

sorry , but no soup for you. al-quida recognizes that the best way for them to succeed is for the world to be divided and they encouraged the american invasion of iraq because......

1. it drained troops and world attention from the real war on terror and the battle for afghanistan

2. it showed the arab world exactly what they were saying to the arab world, that the Americans will invade the middle east, strengthen israel, and take oil from them.

You dont have to be Bobby Fischer to see that al quida are chessmen and Bush has a hard time mastering checkers.

But, I dont hate George Bush. I despise what he has done and what he has unleashed upon this nation and planet, and it will take a generation for the US to recover from his follies.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 06:13 pm
After rereading my last post in this thread, I am not very happy with the person I see in the mirror. I have descended to name-calling, which I try never to do. And since this thread seems to have degraded to a level of personal attacks rather than discussion of the issues, I am going to walk away from it and find another topic to discuss.
0 Replies