House Minority Leader Blasts Bush; GOP Fires Back

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:18 am
It's about time the Republicans find their voices and start talking back to the Democrats. For our non-American friends, "GOP" stands for "Grand Old Party" and refers to the Republicans.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

By Bobby Eberle
Talon News
May 21, 2004

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) delivered an attack aimed at President Bush both in a Capitol Hill news conference and in an interview given to her hometown newspaper Thursday afternoon.

Pelosi's remarks stood in sharp contrast with those of the president who made a trip to Capitol Hill yesterday to deliver a message meant to rally Republican lawmakers.

"I believe that the president's leadership and the actions taken in Iraq demonstrate an incompetence in terms of knowledge, judgment, and experience," Pelosi told reporters gathered to hear her remarks.

"This president should have known ... when you decide to go to war you have to know what the consequences of your action are and how you can accomplish the mission," Pelosi said.

The House Democratic leader added, "There was plenty of intelligence to say there would be chaos in Iraq following the fall of Baghdad."

"The results of his action are what undermine his leadership, not my statements," she said. "The emperor has no clothes. When are people going to face the reality?"

In a separate interview granted to the San Francisco Chronicle, Rep. Pelosi went even further, saying, "Bush is an incompetent leader. In fact, he's not a leader. He's a person who has no judgment, no experience and no knowledge of the subjects that he has to decide upon."

"Not to get personal about it, but the president's capacity to lead has never been there," Pelosi said.

"In order to lead, you have to have judgment. In order to have judgment, you have to have knowledge and experience. He has none," she added.

Pelosi has long been known for her opposition to the war in Iraq. She joined ten other House Democrats in voting against authorizing the president to use force to disarm Saddam's regime.

Following her vote against the war, she promised that Democrats would stand "shoulder to shoulder" with Bush in the war on terror.

Her lengthy remarks drew sharp responses from Republican spokesmen.

Bush-Cheney '04 Campaign Chairman Marc Racicot addressed John Kerry, saying, "As leader of the Democratic Party, John Kerry needs to repudiate Nancy Pelosi's efforts to blame American deaths in Iraq on the President. No one is to blame for these deaths in Iraq but the terrorists who are trying to prevent freedom from coming to the Middle East."

In response to Pelosi's remarks, Republican National Committee Chairman Ed Gillespie said, "To angry Democrats like Nancy Pelosi and Ted Kennedy, terrorists and militia aren't responsible for the deaths of U.S. soldiers, their commander-in-chief is. And our servicemen and women, in putting torture chambers 'under U.S. management,' are no different than a regime that systematically tortured, raped and killed its own people."

"The San Francisco/Boston Democrats led by John Kerry have now adopted Blame America First as their official policy," Gillespie continued in a statement issued to the press.

In comments published on his web site, Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert (R-IL) said, "Mrs. Pelosi has the right to disagree with President Bush, and it is clear that she has a different vision from the President. But her comments questioning the President's competence cross the line."

"We are in the middle of a war and in the middle of a political campaign. Mrs. Pelosi's comments were meant to inspire her political base. But who else do they inspire? That is the question she should ask herself," Hastert continued.

"Her comments are also wrong," Hastert said.

Further, Hastert said, "Was it incompetence that put Saddam Hussein in jail? Was it incompetence that disbanded the Taliban? Was it incompetence that spurred the fastest economic growth rate in twenty years? Was it incompetence that created the highest home ownership rate in history?"

"Nancy Pelosi should apologize for her irresponsible, dangerous rhetoric," House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-TX) told CNN. "She apparently is so caught up in partisan hatred for President Bush that her words are putting American lives at risk."

Link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,695 • Replies: 103
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:27 am
Not sure why calling a president incompetent is supposed to be crossing a line?

It would simply be seen as robust debate here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:27 am
Free speech...
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 09:22 am
This is way more than "robust debate." This is a vicious personal attack. American legislators by tradition have been civilized and genteel in their speech toward each other. Nancy Pelosi, as Dennis Hastert stated, has crossed the line. Contrast Hastert's low-key statement with Pelosi's verbal assault. Hastert is the norm and Pelosi is out of control. Even John Kerry is not making such statements, although we've heard them from his mentor, Senator Edward Kennedy.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 10:59 am
"In order to have judgment, you have to have knowledge and experience. He has none"

Sounds a bit shrill to me. Won't win much votes, I think.

But I also dont see how just calling someone "incompetent" would cross any line. Of course Dems consider Bush incompetent. Just a matter of fact. If they didnt consider him incompetent, there'd be no reason to want to force him out of his job so much. <shrugs>

Its all politics. Noise the Republicans are making about it too. Next month it'll be the other way round. Et cetera.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 11:21 am
The Dems have every reason to want a GOP president out of office even if that president was everything they ever wanted or hoped for in a president.

But I was raised to believe the office of president was to be respected and a personal attack on the presidency was a slur against the country. Criticize the president or any other elected leader, yes. That is the American way. But do it decently and respectfully.

I said the same thing to conservatives and GOPers who attacked Bill Clinton and his predecessors in disrespectful ways.

Disrespect for the office is disrespect for the country and its government. In wartime I believe it puts our soldiers in the field at greater risk. It certainly should not be done by the minority leader.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 11:27 am
I loved what she said about Bush.

By the way, I heard a little debate on Fox news yesterday, and Ann Coulter called Bill Clinton a rapist and a felon. There are no lines in an election year! Bring on the vicious, spiteful, totally partisan, personal attacks!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 11:29 am
Well, Ann Coulter is too often the GOP's Nancy Pelosi Sad
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 11:37 am
She is an attack dog, that's for sure. I hate her and I love her at the same time. I might have to marry that girl!
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 12:59 pm
She's a private citizen and as such she should be able to say whatever she wants. But our elected officials should have more respect, as Foxfyre said.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 01:01 pm
Bullshit.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 01:10 pm
kickycan wrote:
Bullshit.

That's it? Bullshit? C'mon KC, you can do better than that. Coulter has the same rights that Michael Moore has to express his warped view.

People in congress and other positions of public service should conduct themselves professionally as they are representing a population of people. I am sure that not everyone in Pelosi's district agree with her and therefore she is not representing them. That's why she should learn the politispeak that most politicians know.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 01:24 pm
Pelosi is my house rep. What an embarassement she is too.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 01:24 pm
Yeah, he does, McG, and that's good. Both sides should be able to say whatever they want, as long as it isn't slander. Screw it, let us know how you feel, politicians!

This whole argument that it is somehow disrespectful or unprofessional is bullshit. It's just a way for people to try to discredit someone for saying something they disagree with.

And that, my friend, is bullshit.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 01:32 pm
Is it shrill because she is a woman?

Is she not professional because she is a woman?

Respect is earned not a given. If the president wants respect he needs to behave in a presidential manner, be knowledgeable and have judgment. Pelousi was saying what we all know to be true about him.

In my opinion he should stay out of the fray and just let Rove, Rummy, Cheny, and Wolfowitz do the talking he is after all their dummy.

Do you not think the Majority leader is shrill and disrespectful or do you want to wait for the DOJ report on his illegal interference in Texas re-districting.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 01:49 pm
This is only the latest from Pelosi. She's an all around freak IMO.

http://www.gop.com/RNCResearch/Read.aspx?ID=4217
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 01:51 pm
How did she ever get to a position to hold responsibility? I wouldn't want her babysitting my kids, much less helping to run my country.... Californians... Go figure.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 01:52 pm
Hey, watch your generalizations there McG!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 01:53 pm
Whether she's a freak or not is not the issue. We are debating what she said about Bush. And not one good argument has been made why she shouldn't say what she did.

Sheesh!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 01:55 pm
It's just common, professional courtesy that has been part of our political culture forever kicky. Pelosi has no common sense and no common courtesy that comes with it.
0 Replies