The Day Ferguson Cops Were Caught in a Bloody Lie

revelette2

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 07:07 am
Read this article a minute ago and I thought this was a good a place any to leave it. Inspiring in my opinion..

Quote:
In the story of the Texas pool party, where a police officer was caught on tape manhandling and pointing a gun at young black teenagers , there's a lot to be concerned and outraged about. But there's also one tiny thing to celebrate: the actions of two white kids.

Just 14 and 15 years old, they wasted no time speaking on the record about the racist comments made by adults that they said set off the incident, and recording the discriminatory treatment they said they witnessed.

Related A cop's plea: stop calling in "suspicious activity" every time you see a black person

Sadly, when it comes to public opinion about the event, it's likely that these accounts have more weight coming from the white kids than from the black kids who have offered similar stories, but whom many media consumers might see as potential criminals and untrustworthy reporters of what happened.

Their stories shaped the early media narrative of the event, and their sense of responsibility to memorialize what happened should be seen as an example. Many American adults could learn something from their brave decisions to acknowledge rather than avoid or explain away the injustice they saw, but also to make sure the rest of us understood.

The white teens are the reason we're even hearing about this

According to BuzzFeed News's David Mack's report on the incident, Grace Stone, a white 14-year-old, said when she and her friends responded to white adults' comments that the black pool party guests should return to "Section 8 [public housing]," the older women became violent.

The police were called, and Brandon Brooks, a white 15-year-old, took out his cellphone to record what happened next — creating a record of the event that he later posted to YouTube, along with this commentary: "So the cops just started putting everyone on the ground and in handcuffs for no reason. This kind of force is uncalled for especially on children and innocent bystanders."

I think a bunch of white parents were angry that a bunch of black kids who don't live in the neighborhood were in the pool," he told BuzzFeed. He made it clear that he felt he was spared because of his race, saying, "Everyone who was getting put on the ground was black, Mexican, Arabic. [The cop] didn't even look at me. It was kind of like I was invisible."

"You can see in part of the video where he tells us to sit down, and he kinda like skips over me and tells all my African-American friends to go sit down," he said in a Monday interview with CW33.

These kids decided addressing racism was their business

Stone's choice to speak about the racist comments she witnessed, and Brooks's decision to post his recording and analysis on YouTube and give an interview about what he observed, represents an unusual commitment to honesty about racism and discrimination — topics many white adults don't see through the same lens.

For example, a November 2014 Pew poll revealed that nearly half of white Americans thought race got too much attention in the discussion surrounding 18-year-old Michael Brown's death at the hands of a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri. When asked about confidence in police to not use excessive force on suspects, 36 percent of white respondents expressed a great deal of confidence, compared with 18 percent of black respondents.

And in October 2014, the Washington Post reported on an analysis of years of polling by Harvard University professor Michael I. Norton, who found that 56 percent of black people but only 16 percent of white people said they believed there was "a lot" of discrimination in America. White people were more likely than not to say they thought anti-white discrimination had become a bigger problem than bias against blacks.

When you consider the well-documented social, economic, and political injustices against black people that have been committed both with and without the backing of the legal system, this looks like willful ignorance, and it can be infuriating.

That's why when Walter Scott , a 50-year-old unarmed black man, was shot in the back and killed by Charleston, South Carolina, police officer Michael Slager. Tim Wise, a white author who focuses on anti-racism, wrote this on his public Facebook page in response to those who insisted race had nothing to do with the tragedy:

I know there are some well-meaning (as well as not well meaning) white folks who say how awful the killing of Walter Scott was "regardless of the racial element," but please... When we as white folks strip away the social context within which these things happen, or refuse to acknowledge the generations-long soul wound imposed by racism upon peoples of color, we speak as if history didn't happen, as if historical memory doesn't matter, as if every day is disconnected from the last, and patterns are irrelevant. We speak, in other words, as persons with the privilege of ignoring the backbeat of white supremacy, as persons who enjoy the luxury of viewing life as a collection of random experiences, and ourselves are mere individuals floating through that life. How nice. People of color have not the luxury of such a conceit ...

The kids' reactions were encouraging. Take note, adults.

Outside of the context of American racism, what the kids did wouldn't really be a big deal: they saw that other kids their age were being wronged, and they told the truth about what happened. But against the backdrop of a society in which many adults both perpetuate racism and go to great lengths to deny it, their reactions stood out.

Related Here's what happens when you ask white people how it feels to be white

Brooks, who got out his phone to record the incident, even recognized and admitted that he was benefiting from his race by being able to loiter around without being antagonized or arrested. Meanwhile, Stone, 14, told a reporter about the racist comments that she said started the whole event, adding essential context to what had previously been characterized as just "a fight."

In this way, Stone and Brooks weren't just standing up for the black kids at the pool; they were also, hopefully, setting an example — and maybe, if we're really optimistic about their generation — predicting the future.

source
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 03:36 pm
Federal report faults police actions during Ferguson unrest
Baldimo

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 08:02 am
@revelette2,
The Federal report should be blaming the Dems and the news media for pushing a fake story from the start of events in Ferguson. All the bad that took place is the fault of those on the left for making Brian Wilson look like a murderer and for making Mike Brown the "gentle giant".
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 01:25 pm
@revelette2,
Come on rev, how many times have I got to tell you not to contradict the word of God uttered by his acolytes.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 09:32 pm
coldjoint

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 10:49 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
http://www.acidpulse.net/images/smilies/snrmaajt.gif
0 Replies

Hana231

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 06:36 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Those are considered to be Afros in America. Perhaps we are stick too much to that sort of image but they are really no nice guys at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh6YZjaMhC4
And, frankly, it's really hard not to be a racist in the USA.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 10:52 am
http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/95-police-killings-2015-occurred-neighborhoods-incomes-under-100000

95% of Police Killings in 2015 Occurred in Neighborhoods With Incomes Under $100,000
This element of the police violence issue has not been thoroughly examined.
By Zaid Jilani / AlterNet
July 24, 2015

The movement for criminal justice reform has finally brought the topic of police brutality back to the forefront. One unexplored aspect of police killings is the economic profile of the neighborhoods where the killings occur. In a first of its kind research project, I examined police killings this year and found that in the first five months, 95 percent of reported police killings were in neighborhoods with incomes under $100,000.

How To Follow The Economic Trail Of Police Killings

By law, there is no requirement for a comprehensive database of police killings. However, diligent researchers and reporters have labored to create a database that tracks reported deaths. Researcher D. Brian Burghart founded Fatal Encounters, a website and database that aspires to record every death at police hands.

A search of the Fatal Encounters database, focusing on the months of January 2015 through March 2015, the months where there is a comprehensive list of deaths. An examination of this list of killings with the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council's Geocoding tool was used to locate the Census income tract where the killings themselves occurred.

The tool provides several different income readings, depending on the year. For the purpose of our research, the 2015 Estimated Tract Median Family Income category was used, an attempt to use information that's more up to date than the 2010 reading the Census made.

For most addresses, I was able to instantly locate a tract median family income. A few addresses didn't instantly return a reading from the tool, so I picked an address nearby, typically within a block. Roughly 9% of police killings occurred in non-residential areas or highways, or for some other reason I was not able to locate an income tract. These were excluded from our analysis.

Killing The Middle Class And Poor

For the 441 police killings I researched, the average neighborhood family income where a killing occurred was $57,764. The median family income was $52,907.

Just over five percent of the killings were in neighborhoods with over $100,000 median family income. The richest neighborhood that saw a killing was the 700 block on 14th street in northwest Washington, D.C.

This skews against what the actual income variation in America is. A household income of $100,000 or more puts you in the top 21% of American income earners; this means that incomes below this number are overrepresented by four times compared to the income distribution in how often they are killed by police.

A More Comprehensive Look

This analysis is far from comprehensive – for one, it focuses on a five-month period and uses Census geomapping that isn't as precise as it could be. Data on the actual incomes of the individuals killed is not available to us. Additionally, we did not identify the circumstances of the killings themselves – it would be relevant to know what percentage of these individuals killed resided in these locales. Statistical researchers may also find it illuminating to compare neighborhood incomes of deaths with the race of those killed – by doing so, they could use regressions to see how race and income interact as variables.

Consider, for example, the important work being done at The Washington Post, whose reporters are doing a comprehensive tally of police killings in 2015. Those reporters have broken down police shootings by various categories, including ones that are rarely looked at, like mental health status.

This research should be looked at as a “first bite at the apple” – enough evidence to warrant further examination about who is killed by police, and why.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 10:56 am

Cop Under Investigation for Allegedly Calling Woman a ‘F**king Dyke’ Before Brutally Assaulting Her
'When he had his hands around my neck I truly thought I was going to die.'
By Mike Sawyer / The Free Thought Project
July 20, 2015

Print
Comments

New York, NY — Stephanie Dorceant and her girlfriend Nandi Allman were on their way home from a concert when their world would be turned upside down.

In the early morning hours of July 11, Dorceant and Allman were cheerfully walking home when a plainclothes man bumped into Dorceant from behind, according to Dorceant. The man in plainclothes was off-duty NYPD officer, Salvator Aquino.

In a statement written for her attorney, Dorceant explains what happened next:

On July 11th I was in Brooklyn, where I live and work, heading from a concert with my girlfriend when, out of nowhere a large man bumped me from behind. I asked him if he was ok. He then barked at me, and I will quote: “mind your own business you ******* dyke.”

Hen then attacked me, punched me in the face a number of times, choked me and called me several more anti-gay slurs. When he had his hands around my neck I truly thought I was going to die. I could not breathe. The only way I could get him to stop attacking me and my girlfriend was to bite him.

When other police officers showed up I thought we were saved. That was not the case. It turned out that this man was an off-duty police officer. Instead of helping me and my girlfriend and arresting our attacker, more officers piled on top of me, slamming me onto the pavement and putting their knees on my neck, shoulders, and back. They then put us both into handcuffs and threw us into a holding cell in the precinct. After being processed at the precinct I was taken to the hospital, and then to central bookings.

At my arraignment, they said that I had assaulted the cop and that I had used racial slurs. Even though I have no record, and their story was a complete lie, bail was set and I ended up at Riker’s Island.

My attacker has still not been charged or arrested.

Even though I am well aware of the many stories about police brutality, especially against blacks, Hispanics, and the LGBT community, I never really thought that this could happen to me. I want to share my story and say that police brutality is a real thing. Hate crimes are a real thing. Both of these things happened to me. Enough is enough.

According to the police version of events, however, Aquino claims the two women were arguing as he was walking to his car. Aquino claims that when he and Dorceant bumped into to each other, this tiny woman began attacking him and “punched him in the face.”

Aquino said that as he was trying to arrest Dorceant, she resisted and “proceeded to bite [Aquino] repeatedly about the arms, chest, finger, and torso, breaking [Aquino’s] skin.”

Dorceant and Allman maintain that Aquino’s version of the story is nothing but lies and maintain that they were cheerfully laughing when they bumped into Aquino.

Both women are small and would have posed no threat to the officer, said Dorceant’s lawyer, Benjamin Zeman.

According to the Huffington Post, during the arraignment in court Saturday, according to Dorceant, prosecutors read aloud a statement from Aquino saying he was concerned he “might have HIV” from her bites. (She has since taken an HIV test; the results were negative, she said Thursday.)

The NYPD says it is now investigating the claims against Aquino to determine if disciplinary action is required. A separate investigation by the civil rights Bureau of the Brooklyn district attorney’s office is also underway to determine if the incident was a possible hate crime.

Dorceant and Allman believe Aquino should “absolutely” be charged with a hate crime.

Attorneys for Dorceant are confident that the felony charges of assault, as well as charges for menacing, resisting arrest, and harassment, will all be dropped. Dorceant is planning civil action against the NYPD as well.

A friend of the couple has started a crowdfunding page to pay for Dorceant’s legal fees. As of Monday, they are half way to the goal of $8,000.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 10:58 am

Court Declares Air Fresheners, Pro-Police Stickers as Reasonable Suspicion for Cops to Pull You Over
The ruling upholds the idea that police officers can profile and detain people who aren’t actually committing any crimes.
By John Vibes / The Free Thought Project
July 22, 2015

Print
Comments

Kingsville, TX — Last Thursday, the Fifth Circuit US Court of Appeals ruled that it is suspicious for a vehicle to have air fresheners, rosaries, or pro-police bumper stickers.

The ruling stems from a 2011 Texas court case in which a couple was pulled over for having rosaries hanging from the rearview mirror, as well as a few air fresheners, and a DARE sticker on the back of the vehicle.

Nohemi Pena-Gonzalez was pulled over by Police Officer Mike Tamez when she was driving just 2 MPH over the speed limit. The officer did not pull her over because she was speeding, but because he suspected that she was trafficking drugs, and found the contents of her vehicle and the sticker to be suspicious.

Eventually, the officer questioned her husband, Ruben Pena-Gonzalez, who agreed to allow the officer search to their vehicle. The officer did not find any drugs, but did find a large sum of cash that he confiscated, and then sent Ruben Pena-Gonzalez to jail.

Recently, the case was taken to the Court of Appeals, where it was decided that Officer Tamez had reasonable suspicion to detain the family and ask to search their vehicle.

The court wrote in its decision that

“We do have concerns that classifying pro-law enforcement and anti-drug stickers or certain religious imagery as indicators of criminal activity risks putting drivers in a classic ‘heads I win, tails you lose’ position. But we need not decide whether these items alone, or in combination with one another, amount to reasonable suspicion because we find the more suspicious evidence to be the array of air fresheners and inconsistencies in the driver’s responses to the officer’s basic questions. We have long recognized that the presence of air fresheners, let alone four of them placed throughout an SUV, suggests a desire to mask the odor of contraband.”

This ruling upholds the idea that police officers can profile and detain people who aren’t actually committing any crimes. Police already profile people according to a number of different factors, and now they have confirmation that their tactics are legally acceptable.

John Vibes is an author, researcher and investigative journalist.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 12:29 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
http://www.alien-earth.com/images/smileys/spam.gif
RABEL222

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 11:18 pm
@coldjoint,
Hey lying sack of shyt. These are facts, but you wouldent recognize a fact if it bit you on the ass.
Wilso

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 06:13 am
@RABEL222,
Don't engage with the joint. That just encourages it. Stick with humans.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 10:49 am
@Wilso,
Quote:
Stick with humans.

Talking to that old hater just screwed that up for you.http://www.alien-earth.com/images/smileys/rofl.gif
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 11:03 am
@coldjoint,
Ever the half wit(the smaller half), aren't you?
coldjoint

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 11:14 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Ever the half wit(the smaller half), aren't you?

Out of police spam?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 03:37 pm
Texas Police May Have Edited Dash Cam Footage Of Sandra Bland Arrest

by Carimah Townes Jul 22, 2015 11:09am

CREDIT: YouTube

Screenshot of State Trooper Brian Encinia pointing gun at Sandra Bland
Share 1,898
Tweet 243

One day after prosecutors confirmed Sandra Bland’s death will be treated as a murder investigation, officials from the Texas Department of Public Safety announced they are looking into alleged edits to dash cam footage of Bland’s traffic stop.

Earlier this month, Bland was pulled over by Texas Department of Public Safety trooper for failing to use her signal while changing lanes. Three days later she was found dead in her jail cell, which the sheriff’s office labeled a suicide. But between the video and circumstances leading up to her death — Bland had attempted to post bail and was about to start a new job days later — relatives believe the cause of death was not suicide.

In a dash cam video uploaded by police department officials on YouTube, a tow truck driver exits his vehicle and walks around State Trooper Brian Encinia’s car. Within seconds, the truck driver is seen making the same exit and walk, but Encinia, who can be heard recalling the traffic stop encounter in detail, is uninterrupted. Minutes later, a white car appears on the screen and disappears two times, before reemerging and making a left turn. Audio of Encinia’s voice continues without interruption.

Both discrepancies were discovered by journalist Ben Norton on Tuesday night. One explanation could be that the equipment was faulty, but authorities have agreed to investigate whether or not officers tampered with the evidence.

Watch the two clips:

In the full video, Encinia asks Bland to put her cigarette out, but she refuses. Encinia orders her to step out of the vehicle several times, but Bland contends he does not have the right to make her get out. The situation escalates when Encinia yells, “get out of the car or I will light you up” and points a gun at her. Off camera, minutes later, Bland cries out that the officer is going to break her wrists. Muffled cries are heard before Bland yells, “you knocked my head in the ground and I got epilepsy” and Encinia responds, “good.” The officer tells her to stand up, roll over, and tuck her knee in, but Bland says, “If I could…I can’t even feel my ******* arm.”

Bland was eventually taken to jail and charged with assault. Watch the full video:

The newly released dash cam footage raises additional concerns about the effectiveness of police cameras to hold officers accountable. Critics of body cam implementation argue that officers can easily edit the videos since the footage is in their possession. And cameras can be ill-positioned to capture an event in its entirety.

“Often, you can’t see the cop, and sometimes the video is really close up. The camera isn’t in position, and there’s no way to use the footage,” David Whitt, a leader of We CopWatch in Ferguson, previously told ThinkProgress.”[And] cops are in control of all of that. The people stopped by police are always the bad guys.”

Indeed, proponents of police reform throughout the country are wary of footage controlled by law enforcement. After D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser announced in March that every Metropolitan Police Department officer would be equipped with a camera, Philip Fornaci of the Campaign Against Police Abuse in Washington, D.C. explained, “cameras are worn by police, so they are, by definition, not going to capture police conduct. They’ll capture the people who they interact with.” Cops, he argues, can optimize the footage to benefit themselves. Bowser has also said police videos would be exempt from public record requests.

“Those tapes never surface except for at the convenience of the officers or system. They turn off cameras, they forget it, and we’ve heard things like ‘there’s no film,’ as if there’s film in video cameras these days.”
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 08:00 pm
One Day After Sandra Bland’s Death, 18-year-Old Kindra Chapman Was Found Dead In Jail
A death in Alabama has many parallels to Bland's.
By Bethania Palma Markus / Raw Story
July 24, 2015

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/one-day-after-sandra-blands-death-18-year-old-kindra-chapman-was-found-dead-jail

Just one day after Sandra Bland was found dead in her jail cell in Texas, another young black woman, Kindra Chapman, was found in eerily similar circumstances in a jail cell in Alabama.

The 18-year-old was arrested July 14 on accusations she stole a cell phone, according to AL.com. She was booked just before 6:30 p.m. and found unresponsive in her cell at 7:50 p.m. Like Bland, authorities have blamed Chapman’s death on suicide by hanging. Like Bland, Chapman’s family said the teen had a full and happy life and do not believe she committed suicide. Like Bland, Black Lives Matter activists have joined her family in demanding answers.

In an email to AL.com, Chapman’s mother, Kathy Brady, said she believes police killed her daughter, and that she wasn’t notified of Chapman’s death until 9 p.m.

Other family members who spoke with reporters said Chapman wouldn’t have killed herself.

“I want answers, like where was she for 45 minutes,” her cousin Otis Chapman asked local station WBRC. “There’s surveillance all around… She would not harm herself at all… In my heart, she wouldn’t do nothing like that.”

Chapman wore a bed sheet around his neck because authorities said his cousin was found hanged by a bed sheet. He was protesting at the jail because he didn’t want Chapman’s death to get “swept under the rug.” A “Black Lives Matter” banner could be seen behind him.

“She had family that loved her. She had unconditional love from all around,” her aunt Leslie Chapman told the station. “She would never do nothing like that, she was happy.”

Six Black Lives Matter protesters were arrested Tuesday for stopping nearby highway traffic to protest Chapman’s death, AL.com reports.

Jefferson County D.A. Brandon Falls told AL.com he has preliminary evidence to deliver to Chapman’s family, but he hasn’t been able to get in touch with them.

“I do not feel that it would be appropriate to release any information until I have spoken with the family about the investigation,” he said in a Tuesday statement. “Attempts have been made to contact the family and the attorneys, and I am awaiting a response from them.”

Falls said his office has reports of the offense that led to Chapman’s arrest and reports from the officers on duty at the time of her death, along with the reports of the investigating detective, according to AL.com. They also have video surveillance tapes from several cameras at Homewood City Jail, where Chapman was jailed, and a witness statement from a person in custody at the same time she was.

Chapman’s death is being compared to that of 28-year-old Bland, who was found dead in her jail cell in Waller County, Texas on Monday. Bland was stopped by a Texas state trooper Sunday afternoon for changing lanes without signalling.

Bland’s family has also said they believe the young woman, who was moving from a Chicago suburb to Texas for a new job, had too much to live for and was killed. Authorities said Bland committed suicide by hanging herself with a plastic bag.

The FBI and Texas Rangers have launched their own investigations into Bland’s death and her family has had an independent autopsy performed, the results of which have not yet been released. Details emerging about events leading up to her death seem to show impropriety by law enforcement, including excessive force and what many believe to be doctoring of police car dashcam footage.

Watch a report below from local WBRC:

MyFoxAL.com - FOX6 WBRC Birmingham, AL
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 08:04 pm

Dashcam Video: Cops Kill Unarmed Mother, Brag About Marksmanship Afterward and how they blew her face off.

She suffered from PTSD and was struggling with drugs and alcohol.
By Matt Agorist / The Free Thought Project
July 20, 2015

Caroline Small was at a low point in her life. She suffered from PTSD, Dissociative Disorder, and was struggling with drugs and alcohol. These things should have never been a death sentence, but thanks to two Georgia cops, they were.

An eye-opening investigation by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and Channel 2 Action News was published earlier this month that shines a much-needed light on this case. The report illustrates the tragic events leading up to the killing of Caroline Small and the subsequent special privilege granted to the officers who killed her which would allow them to get off scot-free — and keep their jobs.

On June 18, 2010, Small was sitting in a mall parking lot in her car when a citizen allegedly saw her “doing drugs,” so they called police. When police showed up, Small, who was in an obvious diminished mental state, drove off. A police chase ensued.

During the chase, which never exceeded 35 mph, Small’s tires were blown out by spike strips. She was then pinned by two cruisers and a utility pole and riding only on her rims. Her car was effectively rendered immobilized.

However, Small, who was in the midst of a mental crisis, continued pressing the accelerator, even though the car was not able to move but a few inches.

At this point, Georgia State Patrol Trooper Jonathan Malone is seen running behind Small’s car in an attempt to remove her from the vehicle. But Malone quickly runs away after he notices Glynn County officers Sgt. Robert C. Sasser and Officer Michael T. Simpson with their service weapons pointed direct at him, with Small’s head being the primary target.

Malone pleaded with the officers to let him get Small out of the vehicle.

“Let me get out there and get her out,” Malone calls out to the other officers, according to the GBI audio transcripts.

“Hold on, hold on,” one unknown officer responds.

“If she moves the car, I’m going to shoot her,” Simpson says.

Seconds later, Sasser and Simpson unleash a volley of gunfire into the face of Caroline Small.

After the shooting, Sasser and Simpson can be heard discussing their kill.

“Where did you hit her?” Simpson asks, according to a GBI transcript.

“I hit her right in the face,” Sasser says.

“I watched the bridge of her nose…I pulled the trigger and I watched it hit her at the same time I think I fired,” Simpson says.

When an EMT showed up to the scene, Simpson waved him off, trusting that his stellar marksmanship had done the job, and she was dead. However, Small was holding on for dear life, and those crucial moments could have been the difference between life and death. Small would never regain consciousness, but she didn’t succumb to her injuries until a week after the shooting.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution/Channel 2 Action News investigation of the case found that:

• Glynn County police officers interfered with the GBI’s investigation from the start, seeking to protect the officers.

• The department tampered with the crime scene and created misleading evidence that was shown to the grand jury.

• The local district attorney shared the state’s evidence with the officers nearly two months before the grand jury convened and cut an unusual deal with them just before it met.

With the special treatment given to the Glynn County police by the other law enforcement agency “investigating” them, they were able to successfully convince a grand jury that they “feared for their lives.” Neither of the officers faced any discipline and both were returned to full duty.

One of the members of that grand jury, Byron Bennett, has come out publicly stating that he regrets his decision.

“I felt like I let that lady down,” he said. “I felt like they killed that lady. They didn’t give her a chance.”

One of the GBI investigators who supervised the criminal investigation into the shooting told the AJC that the shooting was unjust.

“This is the worst one I’ve ever investigated,” said Mike McDaniel, a retired GBI agent. “I don’t think it’s a good shoot. I don’t think it’s justified.”

Even the lead investigator says that this was unjustified, yet these two cops are still out on the street, “protecting and serving.” So turn the brutal, rusty, and bloody cogs of the American justice system.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 10:43 pm
DOJ Head Says Sandra Bland's Death Epitomizes Police's Broken Relationship With Black Community
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/07/26/3684554/lynch-comments-on-sandra-bland/

Attorney General Loretta Lynch said Sandra Bland’s death while in police custody earlier this month taps into deep-seated fears within the black community: that interactions with law enforcement too frequently end fatally.

The Justice Department’s (DOJ) first African-American woman attorney general told Pierre Thomas in an ABC News interview Sunday that Bland’s death “highlights the concern of many in the black community that a routine stop for many members of the black community is not handled with the same professionalism and courtesy that other people may get from the police.”

...“We have a situation where many minority communities for so long have felt that law enforcement was coming in essentially to enforce laws against them, not to protect them.” Lynch said Sunday. “I do think that what has been a important part of the debate in Miss Bland’s death has been the discussions that we’ve seen from community members and police leaders alike…about the importance of training and deescalating incidents.”
0 Replies