The Day Ferguson Cops Were Caught in a Bloody Lie

giujohn

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 06:48 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You'd not even heard of a stab vest until I mentioned it

Wrong again dumb ass. I suckered you in by saying there was no such thing because in your typically uniformed fashion you referred to it as "ANTI STAB" and professional police (unlike you arm chair experts) know the difference. Also I have to laugh at your characterization that cops who carry guns are cowards. That must mean the Bobbies are the only brave cops in the whole world huh? Even braver than your own military...they still have guns right? Your argument is pathetic.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 07:07 pm

SC officer shoots black man in back, is arrested
North Charleston, SC, police say officer Michael Thomas Slager is in custody after announcement he will be charged in Walter Lamer Scott's death.

There is footage, taken by a civilian. ( graphic.....https://)
Scott knocked a taser out of the cop's hands, then turned and jogged away. Cop emptied his gun, then handcuffed the prone victim.

North Charleston, SC, officer to face murder charge after video shows him shooting man in back, mayor says

North Charleston police officer was arrested on a murder charge Tuesday after video surfaced of the lawman shooting eight times at 50-year-old Walter Scott as he ran away.

http://www.postandcourier.com/

Mug shot has been released now:
https://twitter.com/KRBolster/status/585575459301281795
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 07:41 pm
Before Secret Video Was Revealed, This Was The Official Police Statement on Walter Scott Murder:

http://i0.huffpost.com/gen/2811702/images/n-NORTH-CHARLESTON-SHOOTING-large.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCBoDrbWMAI_EcA.jpg

:large
http://www.abcnews4.com/story/28725562/coroner-identifies-man-shot-killed-by-north-charleston-police-officer
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-is-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html?_r=0
VIDEO quite disturbing:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/07/officer-michael-slager-shoots-man-in-back-video_n_7021134.html
Tweet
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 03:51 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
SATURDAY: Scott is stopped by Slager for a broken taillight on his Mercedes-Benz sedan on Saturday afternoon at approximately 9.30am.

According to Slager, Scott moved away from his car and the South Carolina officer pursued him on foot. At this point, events were recorded by a passer-by’s camera phone.

0:00 Raised voices can be heard, although the camera does not show who they belong to.

0:18 Scott and Slager can be seen in the same frame, before the officer fumbles, and an item appears to fall to the ground.

0:19 Scott runs from the officer, who draws his gun.

0:20 The first gunshot is heard, as Scott continues to move away from the officer. Seven more can be heard in quick succession.

0:23 Scott falls to the ground, approximately 15 to 20 ft from the officer. He appears to clutch his front and side as he crumples to the ground.

At this point Slager reportedly made a call to police command, telling them: “Shots fired and the subject is down. He took my Taser.” Although the video shows Slager speaking into his mike, it is difficult to hear what is said.

0:40 Slager reaches Scott, who appears prostrate on the ground. He tells him repeatedly: “Put your hands behind your back”.

0:49 Scott does not move. The officer places Scott’s hands behind his back before walking away from the man towards the scene of the original scuffle.

1:12 Another officer appears on the scene. Slager picks up the an unidentified object dropped during the initial scuffle and walks back over to where Scott is lying.

Meanwhile, the second officer says: “Someone grab me a kit. Over behind the pawn shop.” The officer stands by Scott’s head but does not appear to move him.

1:37 Slager reappears by Scott and appears to drops an object by the man. By this point, Scott has been face down on the ground for over a minute.

1:48 The two officers can just be heard talking, although the camera phone does not pick up their individual remarks.

1:55 The second officer, who puts on blue medical gloves, bends down and attends to Scott, 1.21s since Scott first fell to the ground.

2:42 Both officers stand up are on their radios, directing backup – “Did you see my car? Next to Gerald’s. We’re behind the pawn shop.” – to their location.

3:14 Slager can be seen checking the pulse of Scott as ambulance sirens are heard in the background.

Another video shows a number of other officers – one with a medical kit – in attendance, but the officer in question does not perform CPR on Scott as shown in the New York Times' video.

Initial media reports, released Saturday afternoon, characterise the fatal shooting as the result of the scuffle described by Slager.

TUESDAY: The passer-by shows the video to Scott’s family, who hand it to the State Law Enforcement Division (SLED). City officials view the video. Media organisations, including the Courier and Post and national newspaper The New York Times also see the video.

WEDNESDAY: North Charleston police chief Eddie Driggers announce Slager has been arrested and charged with murder, at approximately 10.30pm last night.
Shortly afterwards the Federal Bureau Investigation (FBI) and the US Justice Department announce a separate investigation in the events surrounding the video.
Source
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 05:51 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Hardly surprising, considering Gooey is quite happy to shout his mouth off about his corruption, his racism and his profound ignorance about standard police equipment. It makes you wonder what he chooses to keep quiet about.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 09:13 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Having watched the video, this guy needs to fry.
FBM

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 09:26 am
Any bets on whether or not this guy eventually gets to walk? Or the odds of him getting a slap on the wrist, compared to if it had been either you or me killing somebody under the same circumstances?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 02:04 pm
@FBM,
The difference is he was caught bang to rights. Had the video not been taken he would still be on the streets. The fact that he didn't appear angry and must have felt comfortable acting like that. That points to a wider culture.

People like Baldimo have refused to acknowledge this culture exists, expect him now to pretend this is just one bad apple. He will want to make a big fuss of punishing/sacrificing and make sure everyone notices, so he can keep turning a blind eye to all the other incidents where the cop isn't bang to rights.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 02:29 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Any bets on whether or not this guy eventually gets to walk? Or the odds of him getting a slap on the wrist, compared to if it had been either you or me killing somebody under the same circumstances?

He will not walk, bad cops do get punished. I said at the top that the Ferguson event was a very poor case to attach to the police brutality cause, I bet it did not even make the top ten list that day of cops in America doing wrong. All of those people marching and protesting looked like idiots.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 05:47 pm
I bet it soon becomes a crime to film a police officer.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 06:45 pm
@Baldimo,
I appreciate that. Its never been about all cops. Its about the smaller portion that misbehaves through either intent or poor training. Either way it needs to be fixed and quickly.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 06:47 pm
@FBM,
I think its even money at any rate. He'll plead majorly down and swear he was having a PSTD moment. Its not how he remembers it at all.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 06:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
They've tried it and its been stopped by every court it gets in front of.
FBM

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 06:49 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I won't be satisfied if he gets anything less than either you or I would get if we shot somebody in the back multiple times as they were running away from us. We'll see.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 06:52 pm
Mayor vows body cams for entire force after shooting video
Source: AP-Excite

By BRUCE SMITH and JEFFREY COLLINS

NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — A white South Carolina police officer who claimed he killed a black man in self-defense has been fired and faces murder charges after a bystander's video recorded him firing eight shots at the man's back as he ran away. The city's mayor also said he's ordered body cameras to be worn by every single officer on the force.

The officer, Michael Thomas Slager, has been fired, but the town will continue to pay for his health insurance because his wife is eight-month's pregnant, said North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey, who called it a tragedy for two families.

Police Chief Eddie Diggers said he was "sickened" by what he saw on the video, but his explanations were repeatedly interrupted by shouts of "no justice, no peace!" and other hard questions that he said he couldn't answer. The mayor then took back the podium and threatened to close the news conference.

Protests began within hours of the murder charge against Slager, which was announced Tuesday, the same day the video was released to the media. About 75 people gathered outside City Hall in North Charleston, led by a Black Lives Matter, a group formed after the fatal shooting of another black man in Ferguson, Missouri.

FULL story at link.

http://apnews.excite.com/image/20150408/515302721892-Police_Officer_Fatal_Shooting_20150408.html?date=20150408&docid=us-police-officer-fatal-shooting-8215bd1ca2

A man holds a sign during a protest for the shooting death of Walter Scott at city hall in North Charleston, S.C., Wednesday, April 8, 2015. Scott was killed by a North Charleston police office after a traffic stop on Saturday. The officer, Michael Thomas Slager, has been charged with murder. (AP Photo/Chuck Burton)

Read more: http://apnews.excite.com/article/20150408/us-police-officer-fatal-shooting-8215bd1ca2.html
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 06:58 pm
Arizona sheriff's office mishandling of rape case results in $3.5m settlement
Source: Associated Press

Officials agreed to pay $3.5m to settle a lawsuit that alleged metro Phoenix’s sheriff botched the investigation into the rape of a 13-year-old girl and failed to arrest the suspect who then went on to sexually attack her again.

The girl’s rape case was among more than 400 sex-crime cases that were inadequately investigated or not looked into at all by Maricopa County sheriff Joe Arpaio’s office during a three-year period ending in 2007.

Sheriff’s spokeswoman Lisa Allen says Arpaio’s office agrees with the decision to resolve the lawsuit.

The botched investigations served as an embarrassment for Arpaio, who promotes himself as “America’s toughest sheriff”.

-snip-

Read more: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/08/arizona-phoenix-sheriff-joe-arpaio-rape-case-settlement

Associated Press in Phoenix, Arizona
Wednesday 8 April 2015 22.52 BST
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 06:58 pm
I don't know why this isn't murder:

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 10:21 pm
@FBM,
We'll see. Even money at best.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 10:22 pm
@FBM,
Because they've been getting away with it for years.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 10:24 pm
Arizona sheriff's office mishandling of rape case results in $3.5m settlement
Source: Associated Press

Officials agreed to pay $3.5m to settle a lawsuit that alleged metro Phoenix’s sheriff botched the investigation into the rape of a 13-year-old girl and failed to arrest the suspect who then went on to sexually attack her again.

The girl’s rape case was among more than 400 sex-crime cases that were inadequately investigated or not looked into at all by Maricopa County sheriff Joe Arpaio’s office during a three-year period ending in 2007.

Sheriff’s spokeswoman Lisa Allen says Arpaio’s office agrees with the decision to resolve the lawsuit.

The botched investigations served as an embarrassment for Arpaio, who promotes himself as “America’s toughest sheriff”.

-snip-

Read more: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/08/arizona-phoenix-sheriff-joe-arpaio-rape-case-settlement

Associated Press in Phoenix, Arizona
Wednesday 8 April 2015 22.52 BST
0 Replies