The Day Ferguson Cops Were Caught in a Bloody Lie

Baldimo

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 07:39 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
If they are guilty, **** em. I always wonder how much mercy they showed the people they killed? I'm a fan of letting those on death row choose how they are put to death or, and this one is my favorite, put them to death in the same manner in which they killed their victims.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 08:17 pm
@Baldimo,
Suppose this ruling would release him. But now he's dead? And even if he's guilty, how does murder for murder work?
Baldimo

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 08:19 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
It doesn't appear that the case they are taking has to do with his guilt or innocence, it looks like it was a case opposing the use of the drug cocktail to kill him.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 02:27 am
@Baldimo,
Or maybe just torturing to death anyone you disagree with. Why not get rid of courts altogether and just make a list?
Builder

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:29 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Why not get rid of courts altogether and just make a list?

The US govt beat you to it, Izzy.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:45 am
@Builder,
Probably not as long as your list though.
Builder

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:55 am
@izzythepush,
You'd be mistaken.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 07:04 am
@Baldimo,
Hence the word 'if'. Secondly, even as a condemned prisoner he had a right to treatment that was neither cruel nor inhumane.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 08:02 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Charles Warner was convicted with overwhelming evidence of brutally beating, raping and killing an 11 MONTH old child.

Now we are concerned that he might have felt a bit of pain when being executed as humanely as possible!

I truly acknowledge your sentiments, Bobsal, but with all the respect in the world, this kind of advocacy is partly responsible for why the American conservative movement is gaining so much power in America. The American left often is as detached from reason as the American right...and unfortunately, as many Americans see it, even more detached.

revelette2

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 08:30 am
@Frank Apisa,
I am not sure how I come down on the death penalty issue, but if ever someone deserves it...horrible thing to do. Sometimes it seems all we see and hear are horrific events continually.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 08:34 am
@revelette2,
That's the problem. The fact that we all each and everyone of us can come up with a poster child for capital punishment shows that it just can't be fairly administered. If murder is wrong, than even state sanctioned murder is wrong.
revelette2

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 08:48 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I lean towards being against capital punishment as well.. One reason is that the system is imperfect, so are those who judge, so mistakes are made. Perhaps less so now that we have DNA.

On the other hand, I am a Christian and God sanctioned capital punishment in the Old Testament, so it can't be inherently wrong in my belief system.

(I realize a lot people don't believe and I have heard it all before, so would rather not go into it, just explaining why I am torn.)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 09:07 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

That's the problem. The fact that we all each and everyone of us can come up with a poster child for capital punishment shows that it just can't be fairly administered. If murder is wrong, than even state sanctioned murder is wrong.

It is fine to think that, Bobsal...but make no mistake about it...it is that kind of thinking that is a MAJOR factor in the move of Americans toward the right.

The main opposition to capital punishment seems to be that it is (or may be) cruel or unusual. Yet the same people who call capital punishment "cruel and unusual" or inhumane...suggest that incarceration for life without the possibility of parole is a reasonable alternative.

I simply do not understand how anyone can think that confining someone for a lifetime is less cruel and inhumane than simply putting them to death?

Under any circumstances, no matter how compelling you think you can make the case you are arguing...more Americans are going to be severely turned off by your compassion for a guy who savagely beat, raped, and killed an 11 month old child...than are going to be persuaded that you have a valid point.

tony5732

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 11:56 am
@Frank Apisa,
You always make a lot of sense frank. I appreciate your input on these topics, and your ability to look in more than a single direction.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 12:07 pm
@tony5732,
Thank you, Tony.

I've been all over the place on capital punishment (I suspect many people have)...but I think we all have to abide by what the law allows. And once we are in that place...the question of what drugs should be used becomes the real question.

I have Barrett's esophagus and have to be scoped every six months. They put that stuff into me...and I am completely out instantly. I kid that the anesthesiologist say, "I'm going to put you to sleep now"...and I reply, "Than...." I never seem to get the full thank you out.

Next thing I know I am in recovery with someone insisting that I open my eyes and respond.

I think the debate about the protocols...really is just people who want to stop capital punishment using that as an excuse. When a person simply cannot be allowed to re-enter society...I think the alternative to capital punishment (life in prison without the possibility of parole) IS BARBARIC compared with capital punishment.

Charles Warner could not be allowed to re-enter society. In my opinion, it was much more merciful to put him to death than the alternative.
0 Replies

tony5732

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 12:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
As far as life without parole being less cruel than death, life without parole does give time for the system to be proven wrong and the guilty to be PROVEN innocent, mistakes happen. If someone is in fact guilty the level of mercy is not my concern anymore, and as far as my knowledge its actually cheaper, I could be wrong on that. Pardon my grammer ahead of time Izzy. Why not let the person choose life in prison or death?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 12:20 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Plenty of innocent men have been murdered by the state, but a lot of them are black, so don't expect certain people to give a monkeys.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 12:37 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
We are using every legal avenue to stop this barbaric practice.

Quote:
The European Union, for its part, makes no secret of its death-penalty stance. EU guidelines call for its “universal abolition” and declare that doing so would “[contribute] to the enhancement of human dignity and the progressive development of human rights.” EU diplomats and leaders frequently petition U.S. governors and state parole boards to halt forthcoming executions. Sometimes, the supranational organization even works in more subtle ways: EU agencies contributed over $4.8 million in donations to U.S. anti-death-penalty organizations between 2009 and 2013.

The EU’s influence extends to the U.S. Supreme Court, where justices have drawn upon the organization's amicus curiae briefs from time to time in death penalty cases. Justice John Paul Stevens’ majority opinion in 2002’s Atkins v. Virginia cited the EU’s brief on worldwide opposition to executing the mentally disabled as a factor in the Court's decision to forbid the practice in the United States. During oral arguments for Roper v. Simmons in 2005, Justice Anthony Kennedy pondered whether European views should be considered when assessing the “unusual” aspect of the Eighth Amendment’s prohibition of “cruel or unusual punishment.” The EU had already told the Court in an amicus brief that imposing the death penalty on persons who were minors at the time of the crime “violates widely accepted human rights norms and the minimum standards of human rights set forth by the United Nations.”

In Arkansas, corrections officials obtained sodium thiopental from British distributors and then shared it for free with Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Tennessee. But the states soon ran afoul of federal regulators for violating trade restrictions. The Drug Enforcement Agency seized Georgia’s supply of sodium thiopental in 2011 after records suggested that state officials might have broken the law by purchasing and importing the drug from Dream Pharma, a British distributor operating out of the back of a driving school in London. Kentucky handed over its sodium thiopental to the DEA that same year.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/02/can-europe-end-the-death-penalty-in-america/283790/
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 12:57 pm
@izzythepush,
Got any proof of this?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 01:06 pm
Quote:
The European Union, for its part, makes no secret of its death-penalty stance. EU guidelines call for its “universal abolition” and declare that doing so would “[contribute] to the enhancement of human dignity and the progressive development of human rights.”

The European Union could "declare" that refusing to bath and shower would contribute to the enhancement of human dignity and the progressive development of human rights...

...but that would not necessarily make it so.

I think Europe ought to stay out of the business of lecturing people on moral principle, because over the years, it has had an horrendous record in that area.

Under any circumstances, our laws allow for capital punishment...and we at least attempt to do it in as humane a way as possible.