Is "compassionate conservatism" a slogan and nothing more?

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 09:41 pm
Oh no the same thing happened in Oakland, CA, the Oakland PD dosn't like my group either - I wonder what's up with that Confused Shocked
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 09:42 pm
What's your take on the data given in my second link, fish?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 09:49 pm
Yep fishin my father-in-law was retired Army but TROA met at the MCRD O club, best view of San Diego harbor. And yes they are a PAC and a union - any group that gets togeither to pursue the interests of the group is by definitiona a union, sorry fishin, could not resist. You know how I am.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 09:50 pm
Yes, I see the lines forming now at the church doors for jobs.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 09:54 pm
PDiddie wrote:
What's your take on the data given in my second link, fish?

It's probbaly a valid complaint and my understanding is that they've won a court order providing the lifetime medical coverage since then.

The people affected under the class action lawsuit were lied to and everyone within the DoD knew it. The Secretary of Defense made the promise of litetime medical care to those guys if they stayed in long enough to retire and they did. Then when it came time (when they started turning 65) the US Government reneged on the deal. The Sec. of Defense doesn't have the legal authority to make those promises (Only the Congress can do that..) so the promise had previoulsy been ruled "invalid".
But these guys DID put in their time nad the courts finally ruled in their favor which IMO, was the proper thing to do.

The only thing I disagree with on their part was the tactics and misinformation used to get the public sympathay. They neglected to mention that they weren't being thrown out in the cold. They were being provided medical care after age 65 but under the MediCare system (at no cost to themselves) instead of the Military hospitals. IMO, they should have been more honest with the public and disclosed that fact instead of misleading the public into believing that these guys were left with nothing.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 09:55 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Yes, I see the lines forming now at the church doors for jobs.

It is funny to see how some "Christians" react to smoke odor. You'd think someone hit them in the face.

Bring 'em on, though.

Joanne--Quakers are on the Subversive list? This is science fiction.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 09:58 pm
JoanneDorel wrote:
Yep fishin my father-in-law was retired Army but TROA met at the MCRD O club, best view of San Diego harbor. And yes they are a PAC and a union - any group that gets togeither to pursue the interests of the group is by definitiona a union, sorry fishin, could not resist. You know how I am.

I have no problems with Unions Joanne. I have concerns when people defend Unions to the death and then spit on other groups that do the exact same things the Unions do as if the two are somehow entirely different because one group says the are a Union and the other doesn't. Unions serve a purpose. As long as people see them for what they are I'm quite happy! Smile
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 10:05 pm
You are so right fishin when my ex was a Navy recruiter in 72' in Columbus, OH, I was present at various interviews where he made that promise, it was hard to get young men to join the Navy in 1972. However when I worked at the Naval Medical Command, Direct Medical Care Division in D.C. they fell back on the law, the Sailors and Soldiers Act which does not provide medical care for dependants or retirees.

But then again that was the 80s and they were also prosecuting a certain Navy Captian a Dr. Billig, the only cardio vascular surgeon in the Navy because he lied about losing his license to practice medicine and was blind in one eye but the Navy needed doctors and especially at Bethesda Naval Hospital. My boss a LCDR was his recruiter and also had to stand Courts Martial. What a mess.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 10:17 pm
Sorry, I see nothing but humor in church personnel taking over as employment agents, let alone consuling drug addicts and drunks. I'm going to have to withdraw from that aspect of the subject before I'm writing on the floor in gales of laughter.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 10:20 pm
The church is only a secular institution in which the half-educated speak to the half-converted.

- W. R. Inge
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 10:31 pm
I can't be sure, but I'm getting a vague anti-church vibe from you, LW.

Gales of laughter might be a good thing.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 11:00 pm
Found the budget.

Click here for the straight story.

The middle class and lower class are to recieve the largest percentage of the cuts, and are to receive additional assists in child tax credits and one income family credits.

Looks like the poor are getting richer.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 11:15 pm
"Looks like the poor are getting richer."

I suppose I would be ROTFLMAO if I thought that was actually a serious response.

And if it were actually funny.

When you find a poor person--even one--who agrees with your contention, Lash, please let us know.

Tell you what: you don't even have to link it.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 11:22 pm
PDiddie--
I didn't think we could get more serious than the link to the actual budget.

I tried it. It worked for me.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 12:38 am
http://aja.freehosting.net/images/goosedress.jpg
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 06:34 am
That Citizen's For Tax Justice article is NOTHING BUT Politics. They can't even stick to one issue within their own 4 page paper. It's nice how they interweave "Incomes taxes" with "total Federal taxes" to their advantage since they can't make their claims any other way.

They rely entirely on the Social Security cutoff for their drama. Get rid of the Social Security caps - on both the taxes paid in and the benefits paid out.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 08:48 am
Lash Goth wrote:
PDiddie--
I didn't think we could get more serious than the link to the actual budget.

I tried it. It worked for me.

i shall let pass without comment that the link you provided, from the white house site, showed neither an actual budget nor a break down on the effects on taxation of bush's tax giveaway to the rich.

conversely, the link i provided, from an organization that for nearly a decade has published detailed analyses of tax issues, showed the devil in the details of the proposed budget and how it measures alongside of past taxation rates as affecting the full range of taxes that tax payers incur.

if you were at all serious, you would address the numbers shown instead of employing histrionics. your attempt to dismiss the messenger because of the message carried shows the weakness of your argument, and the fallacious thinking behind it.

it is not "politics" to point out the distortions and demogoguery from the adminstration on this issue. in fact, it is one's civic obligation to dispute the lies of the current administration on this issue.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 11:09 am
kurvasc said

if you were at all serious, you would address the numbers shown instead of employing histrionics. your attempt to dismiss the messenger because of the message carried shows the weakness of your argument, and the fallacious thinking behind it.

Back at you, and anyone else who states The Actual budget is not the singular best way to see if what we are saying is, or is not true. The numbers you say I should address are in the budget I provided.

It wasn't so long ago that I was a member of the working class poor. A full third of my paycheck went to the gov't. Bush's budget states people making between 20 K and 31K, will have a 15% reduction in the amount of their money that is taken out of their check.

THIS IS COMPASSIONATE CONSERVATISM.

And this one fact is why the liberals are so crazed about trying to make people believe it is only a tax cut for the rich. How can they hold on to what political power they have left, when it is revealed how they take and take from our paychecks, and the GOP wants people to keep more of their own money?

kurvasc, if you use the links on the White House site, you can get plenty of information about the tax code.

Before today is over, if no one else links it, I will find the adjustment for the rich.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 12:35 pm
Those without compassion often think they are not devoid of it. In their own selfish way they will think that they are doing others a service.

That's not directed at conservatives but simply that I think it's near impossible to convince anyone that they aren't compassionate.
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 12:35 pm
Guess What:
Guess what, Lash: In the Bush Economy, you are now the "new" poor.

Your concept that your income quantifies you as "middle class," is long since passed away with the last Democratic Presidency.

Helful Hint: "Arctic" is spelled with two "c"'s.
0 Replies