Will I ever get back with him?

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 09:40 am
Ok so I sound so pathetic but I just want to know what people think about this situation. I was 'seeing' this boy for about 8 months and then he sent me this text a few weeks into university after I moved away:

"Not sure what's going on with 'us' at the moment but these past few days have made me realise that this situation for both of us isn't right. With you at uni and me at home it's always going to be hard and I don't think neither of us are fully committed to it, think it's right for us at the moment to go our separate ways...hopefully we can remain friends"

It's been 6 months now and we don't speak and I still miss him. Is there anything I could do or is it obvious that I need to move on and accept rejection??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,464 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 09:44 am
@amber100,
How did you respond to the text?

Did the friendship end when he sent that text?

______

If you haven't spoken to each other since then (6 months) it seems unlikely the relationship will resume in the future.

What have you done to move on with your life?
maxdancona

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 09:48 am
@amber100,
After 6 months with no contact, you will probably have to accept rejection. Hopefully it is getting easier for you to move on with time.

That being said, if you send him one email (or something equivalent) after six months, I don't think that is inappropriate.

You can say you miss him and ask if he would like to see you again. If an ex-girlfriend got back in touch with me after six months, I would be OK with that. If you do this, don't apologize or beg. Just say "Hi what's up", you can tell him you are thinking about him and that you wonder how he is and that you miss him and would like to see him again, but nothing more.

Of course you are taking a bit of an emotional risk. He could ignore you (and you should respect that if he does). He could say he doesn't want to talk (which you should also respect). He could say he wants to see you again (which you need to accept might mean your feelings get hurt again). I might say that I wouldn't mind a friendship but not a relationship (which you would have to accept).

As long as you are able to accept whatever happens, and that you realize that you probably won't be getting back together with this person, it doesn't hurt to reach out after 6 months. If an ex-girlfriend sent me a respectful message after 6 months, I would certainly respond considerately, and I may even accept at least some level of friendship.
amber100

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 10:28 am
@ehBeth,
I just said that I agreed with him even though I didn't, which looking back now is stupid!

I have seen him out and we say hi but that's about it. He used to send the occasional snapchat which I think is to everyone but I just ignored them.
He also requested to follow me on Instagram twice and each time i declined. I don't know why I've acted so childish now I think about it. I just want him to make the first move and tell me that he regrets not trying harder, and I've been trying to act like I don't care when I really do
amber100

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 11:46 am
@maxdancona,
Thank you for the advice 😊
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 11:51 am
@amber100,
So he reached out to you a couple of times and you rejected his gestures of friendship?

I think you need to accept that you handled it badly and move on with your life.

Hopefully you've learned a few lessons about how not to play games with others and will handle things more honestly in the future.

He seems like a really thoughtful person and it's a shame that you've lost a friend in this way.
amber100

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 01:01 pm
@ehBeth,
I wouldn't say that i was playing games! I was hurt by his text in the first place.

So i shouldn't try to text him now saying i miss him or will that just make it worse?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 01:06 pm
@amber100,
Now? no.

You had an opportunity to be honest with him when you got the text. You've had a couple of opportunities to refresh the friendship when he reached out to you.

Yup. I read it as game playing. You wanted him to do more so you ignored him when he reached out as a friend.

Live and learn eh.

Hopefully future friendships and relationships will run more smoothly for you because of what you learned with this guy.
amber100

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 01:42 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah I think you are right.

Thanks for answering
0 Replies